Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
...are the non-player robots a lot easier to play? I have Andean Abyss and Cuba Libre, and I'll be damned if I can figure out how the flow charts work. Churchill looks amazing. Someone please tell me it's much easier than the COIN series so I can throw my money at this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's much easier to play the bots here. Very straightforward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be honest - I've never been able to figure out any GMT games except for Navajo Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The bots are easy to use, but I still found them a tad tedious. I think once you have the rules down you can probably just make reasonable decisions for the other players and still have a decent, faster playing solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
...are the non-player robots a lot easier to play? I have Andean Abyss and Cuba Libre, and I'll be damned if I can figure out how the flow charts work. Churchill looks amazing. Someone please tell me it's much easier than the COIN series so I can throw my money at this game.

As a member of the “I Wargame Solo and Would Love a Thinking Opponent Club" let me answer you this way:

The bots in Churchill are the easiest, most straight forward, logical, and rewarding bots I’ve ever encountered - in war gaming, gaming, and life.

The biggest differences in bots between Churchill and COIN:

1. Only 2 bots max in Churchill.

2. Easier to grasp victory conditions in Churchill amplify bot comprehension.

3. Churchill’s bots have personality.

Lastly, as a general aspect, the card driven system in Churchill vs most other games doesn’t involve card counting. Bots have their own agendas: from the “Nyet I’m going to debate you” Soviets to the “Give me the bomb and world order” Yanks. I play Churchill so haven’t peeked at his bot yet.

This is why on GMT’s Consim forum I’ve already declared Churchill one of my top 3 wargames played in the last 10 years.

These bots are just so well done. There’s no brain burnout running this game at all.

PS: Another big difference between Churchill and COIN - in Churchill there’s no huge flowchart to workout bot behaviour. Just a meaningful list of priorities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

I will also be playing this mostly solo and if even just a half of what Adam wrote there is true then I'll be in one happy solitaire gamer!

A critical note though:

Adam Parker wrote:
The biggest differences in bots between Churchill and COIN:

3. Churchill’s bots have personality.

But the COIN bots have very much a personality too corresponding to what each faction does best in the game. The USbot in Fire in the Lake is hugely complex due to the multiple roles the US play in the game (win hearts & minds as well as kick ass) as well as the changing US policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
I'll be honest - I've never been able to figure out any GMT games except for Navajo Wars.
Not too bad then, as NW takes some figuring out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of these responses are giving me hope. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.