GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,366 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Tesla vs. Edison: War of Currents» Forums » General

Subject: Game Description on BGG Says "Worker Placement" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that the description on BGG says that this is a "worker placement" game. I believe this is either a mistake or was not updated if an earlier version in development had a worker placement mechanic and was removed. Worker placement to me is where you place your man on a board to take an action and your worker then prevents (or limits) other players from placing their worker on the same place on the board to take the same action. You do have characters which you flip to take an action with that character, but that to me is not worker placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dworkin
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mean to quarrel with your decisions about what the words 'worker placement' mean to you; but I do have to suggest that others might just use a dictionary definition.

In T vs E, you assign key employees to tasks in specific places, such as a city to be wired, a lab to be expanded, a patent off ice for a filing, a newspaper to place an article, or the stock market to barter stock.

So, if you assign an employee to a place to take an action, isn't that placing a worker in a place; i.e., 'worker placement" ?

I mean, I happen to think that it might be easier to teach the game mechanics if the 'luminaries' were called 'key employees"; but I don't say that its a "mistake" or "failure" for the designer to use a term that fits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My exposer to the "worker placement" mechanic were always with games like Agricola, Lords of Waterdeep and Stone Age. In these games, you take a meeple and place it on a spot on the board to take an action. I guess the luminaries in TvE would mean the same thing. I have never played a game where cards represented workers and activating them to take actions would be called worker placement. If this were the definition, then a card game like WoW: TCG would fit that description since the ally cards are like workers you activate by tapping to attack or perform other actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thinkt this definition is fine:
Worker Placement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
I thinkt this definition is fine:
Worker Placement

Thanks, Nico. This is what I understand as worker placement. The definition does indicate that usually, there is a limited number of options for actions and placing workers effectively blocks other players from taking the same actions. I would consider that worker placement does have this limitation of limited actions of any particular type. TvE does not limit the availability of actions as all players may for instance choose the propaganda action without fear of being blocked from taking this action by other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not even remotely at all worker placement.

Not even a little bit. Not even if you stretch the definition as far as it can go.

'Worker placement' actually has a meaning, and if you assign it to this game, then you don't understand that meaning at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.