Subject: Dedicated All To You - Dedication Tile Variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So we've been playing this game a lot. A lot. And when that happens we tend to start changing some of the rules just to see what will happen. So far that's extended to replacing half the pieces and the below two variations on the rules for Dedication Tiles. These have been lightly tested (three-to-five games) solo and two players but that's it.

I went through the rules again trying to find some way these fit in thematically and finally decided there's not really a theme so whatever. And sure, I could have just explained this in one or two sentences, but then I wouldn't get to make stupid logos.

And with that, I'd like to present...

The harvest is in, and it's so bountiful there's chaos at the festival! The lines to make dedications are jam-packed and no one's receiving the Honor they expect. Players must plan not only for the Honor they know about, but also the Honor they don't expect. As a result, you may find yourself collecting a wider range of lantern colors than normal. The festival demands a rainbow!

Setup: Count out the appropriate number of Dedication Tiles. Shuffle each type of tile out of sight so that only the top tile is visible. Players should be careful not to disturb the stacks of tiles so that the next Honor value is only visible once the previous tile is claimed.

The harvest is in, it's getting late, and the revelers have been drinking all night. The dedications are received erratically, with players at times fixating on only a single dedication type. Players must be much more tactical than during the earlier hours of the festival to maximize their Honor. Hopefully you're sober enough to carefully make your dedications and not pave the way for your opponents to get all the Honor!

Setup: Count out enough Dedication Tiles for three equal piles, adding neutral 4-value Honor tokens if necessary. Shuffle ALL tiles together out of sight and arrange in three equal stacks so that only the top tile is visible. Players should be careful not to disturb the stacks of tiles so that the next dedication type/Honor value is only visible once the previous tile is claimed. If a neutral 4-value token is on the top of the stack, a player may make any of the three dedication types to claim the Honor.

And here's some Kim Deal to enjoy while you play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Neu
United States
Richfield
Minnesota
flag msg tools
We play it that you have to make a dedication if you have 9 or more cards this way you may be stuck taking a dedication card you really don't want.
With 3 players we also only play with 6 cards of each color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve PP
United Kingdom
Woolacombe
North Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a year since your post, have you played these variants anymore? If so how did they fare?
We played this as a four player recently and a general opinion was that the gameplay might be more interesting, if the dedication tiles were made randomly available, haven't had a chance to try that yet, but your "drunken" version seems to be what we had in mind too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Both held up just fine and we only ever play with one of these two variants now. I prefer the "drunken" version of the two because it forces a bit more tactical play but the rest of the family seems to like the "rainbow" version a little better. Ultimately we were playing enough that we found the rules as written to be a little too straightforward when it came to the dedications. We've taught a few new players the "rainbow" version and they had no problem at all learning the game or coming up with a strategy - I think most people expect (and enjoy) a little randomness in games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve PP
United Kingdom
Woolacombe
North Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your speedy reply! Glad to hear that they worked out, we really enjoy the game, it just needed that little thing to keep us on our toes.
I'll look forward to trying it next time. Thanks for the variant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MamaGames
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for these! We're doing a variant challenge this weekend and we're big fans of Lanterns. We tried the Drunken variant and we found it a fun way to shake up our strategies. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.