Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone

I've had Ticket to Ride for a few years and I'm thinking about breathing some new life into it with a map that will suit 2 player for my wife and I.

Which map should I get?

I've got the 1910 expansion already.
I'm on a smallish budget of $60-80 Australian and I'd like to get Le Havre Inland Port aswell. (think US$40-45 or 40 Euro)

Other options:
- Feel free to suggest a different game if you really want, keeping in the budget.
- Maybe you think I should save up and grab a new big box TtR like Nordic Countries, Marklin, etc. Can you get those boards seperately?

thanks for any tips

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure Ticket to Ride: Switzerland (available in Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 – India & Switzerland) is considered to be the goto two-player expansion map (or, yes, you could buy the Nordic Countries complete game, which you can not buy separately).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Nordic Countries is ranked in the top 100, is balanced for 2-3 players, and has some legitimately gorgeous board and card art. It works great for my SO and I.

I can't speak to the others mentioned above; there are likely others great maps for 2P. But imo you can't go wrong with Nordic Countries if you're looking for a good 2P TtR board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 – India & Switzerland. My GF and I haven't played Switzerland yet, but India works well with two for sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys I got Inland Port on sale for $25 and India/Swiss for $39.

edit: well i haven't ordered yet, but they're in the cart ready for tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yes, Switzerland is the expansion map you want if you like a tight, aggressive game of blocking for 2-3 players.
Nordic Countries is the stand-alone game you want for the same reasons.

However, if you prefer the openness of the original map though (even with the Big Cities game mode in 1910), then any of the expansion maps will do you well.

I personally like Team Asia's artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We've played all of them and personally, for two players, I would get Nordic. As people said above, it is gorgeous and plays really well too. Like all maps there are pinch points, but that's kind of the point of Ticket to Ride.

We played Switzerland a lot when it first came out and there is a bit of a trick to it that I won't detail here. Once you've spotted it both players will go for it and it becomes a little bit of a matter of luck.

India is good with two and three - in fact, I would say it is one of the best for teaching, especially if drop the slightly strange mandala bonus. We really like the map actually, though it is full of short routes.

Ultimately, I would say it depends on what they cost. Nordic is special - there's nothing like playing it in front of a roaring fire at Christmas, but it may be less cost efficient.

Susie_Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you all say that the fact you can get Switzerland and India for $40 vs Nordic big box for $70-80, makes it an easy call for the India/Swiss map set?

Especially for 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I wouldn't. Personally, I think Nordic is the best for two players. If that is almost exclusively what you do, then I would go for Nordic. If you also play three and occasionally four then I would probably go for India/Switzerland, especially if you teach new people as India is good for that.

Susie_Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
What's this $70 coming from? Nordic is $39 on Amazon right now. Unless the difference in countries changes things drastically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
What's this $70 coming from? Nordic is $39 on Amazon right now. Unless the difference in countries changes things drastically.

Ah you naive Americans!!

Let's just say that two or three years ago when our dollar was worth US$1.05+, our games were still a decent margin more expensive!

And look at the AU$ now?!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.