Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat Pilot
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My main gaming partner is my wife so I play most games two players with her. I am very interested in dice placement games, but am not sure of how they play with two - I actually have read conflicting reviews on the topic.

Would you be able to suggest a dice placement game that works well with two. I am aware of Kingsburg and more recently Mardo Polo (thanks to Rahdo for a great run through), but feel that 2-player mode might be missing out on some of the interaction (for instance, Marco Polo's board looks gigantic for 2-player).

Note that I am well aware of the CAstles of Burgundy (which is one of our favorite), but I don't consider this a dice placement game...

Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played Alien Frontiers? That plays two pretty decently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg plays Very Well with two. You'll roll two sets of dummy dice to block random spaces, but you need that in this game anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Pilot
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrouser wrote:
Have you played Alien Frontiers? That plays two pretty decently.

Haven't played it, but thought of it. Wasn't sure about the theme though so I was more interested by Kingsburg themewise. Is there any online implementation of AF to give it a try?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play 2 and 3 players. Alien Frontiers was my first dice placement game. Kingsburg never really grabbed me. Then, I bought The Voyages of Marco Polo...killed AF for me at any player count. Variable setup, unique player powers, hidden objectives. The size of the board is not really an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kendl
United States
Hartford
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waggle Dance and Euphoria both work with two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad vanVugt
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have really taken to The Voyages of Marco Polo. We used to be fans of Alien Frontiers but found the game stale over repeat plays. Kingsport Festival (essentially a retheme of Kingsburg) didn't really hit with us at all. Euphoria is a great games but has too much board for 2 players. Marco Polo has been excellent though; lots of variability and replayability. It also has a great game to play time balance; you can play a 2 player game in about 45 minutes. Also, don't fret about the interactivity, as Marco Polo is probably the "meanest" of the four I mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra: The Dice Game
Las Vegas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I also really like dice placement games, including Castles of Burgundy. Some of our other favorites are Madeira, Troyes, and Bora Bora.

We also recently got Blueprints, which is a different take on dice placement, and we like it for short quick game. For something deeper along the same lines, maybe check out Cubist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you consider Roma dice placement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan

Grand Rapids
Michigan
msg tools
I think Marco Polo is great with 2 players. The board is large, but most of it is information. There is still plenty of tension for dice placement. Troyes is also great with 2 players (if you can get your hands on a copy.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Bora Bora and Troyes both are excellent games with any number of players.

In addition to the two dice games above my wife and I also enjoy Yspahan with any player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a game to recommend but after a few months with Alien Frontiers, I don't think it's good for 2 players at all.

If you roll raiders all the time, you'll absolutely dominate the other player. Without a 3rd player to balance things out, it's too lopsided for 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Pilot
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your feedback. I will look more closely at The Voyages of Marco Polo, but will keep Kingsburg in mind...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pepilot wrote:
Thanks for all your feedback. I will look more closely at The Voyages of Marco Polo, but will keep Kingsburg in mind...

In my opinion (and a few others) Voyages of Marco Polo is tremendously boring at 2 players.

Troyes is brilliant with 2, but is very hard to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No issue at all with the Voyages of Marco Polo at two players. It plays remarkably similarly at 2P, 3P and 4P. I am curious though...what, in your opinion, caused the game to be boring at 2P that changed dramatically at 3P or 4P?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.