Subject: Why extra cards for 5 to 6 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the original Warfrog version of the game, once you got to 5 or 6 players, most of the cards would end up in player's influence display or their hands about halfway through the game. Play then ground to a halt more or less with players rarely being able to pick up new cards.

In my version 2 of the game I resolved this using three mechanisms. The primary one was having the maximum number of cards a player could hold in their hand set by the number of players, and as the game progresses having their maximum hand size shrink.

The next was limiting influence stacks to a maximum of three cards per nation per player.

Finally the market place mechanism pushed cards to be circulated in an interesting way between players.

However, this did not fully solve the problem. In a five or six player game there were still too few influence cards per nation to allow many players to compete for influence in a nation in a robust way. So in version 2.1 (uploading soon) I have added the extra cards marked "5 to 6 players" that solclaim gave us in his artwork set. For each nation this includes an additional 1, 2 and 3 point influence card. There are also some extras of the special cards as well. Works wonders!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember, I bought that game at Essen in '96, I encountered the same problem when I played it afterwards.

But the next year, the good Warfrog people gave out free card packs in Essen so that I now have enough cards to play with more than 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.