GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,211 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Battle For Souls» Forums » General

Subject: Kickstarter for 2nd edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't there supposed to be a new edition for this game going on kickstarter some time this year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪ I'll mourn over the marble steps ♬ Junkies of the world lay across the monuments ♫ I climb and blister on the mount ♪ Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out ♪ ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Kickstarter for 2nd eidtion
I'd pledge if there is a second edition KS project!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is 2nd edition supposed to be just a reprint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During and right after the kickstarter, there was talk about some sort of expansion. The plastic insert was built to have room for adding the extra stuff.

I haven't heard of anything along those lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.facebook.com/BattleForSoulsGame

Robert Burke talks about it here. Last update in January, so will have to wait on Robert for more information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From Jan 13 2015:

Quote:
We are beginning work on a second edition of Battle For Souls. It will have 26 new cards a larger rulebook, thicker cards and insert and some small rules additions/updates.
We also hope to offer a "Collector's Edition" with a gold foil box, faux velvet drawstring bag and metal skulls and crosses for the markers.
We will offer a limited number just the cards, bag and pieces as an upgrade for owners of the first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. I have not gotten around to playing my copy yet. I should probably get on it right away so I am ready if a new edition is coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
Ugh. I have not gotten around to playing my copy yet. I should probably get on it right away so I am ready if a new edition is coming.

I just posted on their FB asking if there are any updates and they said it's "on the back burner" for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
From Jan 13 2015:

Quote:
We are beginning work on a second edition of Battle For Souls. It will have 26 new cards a larger rulebook, thicker cards and insert and some small rules additions/updates.
We also hope to offer a "Collector's Edition" with a gold foil box, faux velvet drawstring bag and metal skulls and crosses for the markers.
We will offer a limited number just the cards, bag and pieces as an upgrade for owners of the first edition.

Ugh. I've played the game quite a bit, I don't see a need for a second edition. Call me superficial, but having a 2nd edition annoys me because then I'll feel like my 1st edition is an inferior product. Why not just make an expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Bronson

Kansas City
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there is an upgrade offer mentioned, why do you object the designer expanding his vision? It's not the same game with better components anyway. There's new content. So long as the upgrade is reasonably priced, I think Mr. Burke is satisfying any obligations to fans like you & me.

I really treasure this game, and would welcome a second edition. I would be very happy if more people got a chance to play, first run was small and I was lucky to get a post-KS copy but I'm sure there were many who weren't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
esarge wrote:
Since there is an upgrade offer mentioned, why do you object the designer expanding his vision? It's not the same game with better components anyway. There's new content. So long as the upgrade is reasonably priced, I think Mr. Burke is satisfying any obligations to fans like you & me.

I really treasure this game, and would welcome a second edition. I would be very happy if more people got a chance to play, first run was small and I was lucky to get a post-KS copy but I'm sure there were many who weren't.

I'm just tired of publishers doing this in general. Seems to be a bigger trend with kickstarter titles. I say do it right the first time and stop punishing early supporters who have to rebuy the game or pay even more money for a better version than they original got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
esarge wrote:

I'm just tired of publishers doing this in general. Seems to be a bigger trend with kickstarter titles. I say do it right the first time and stop punishing early supporters who have to rebuy the game or pay even more money for a better version than they original got.

That's pretty much it. As a 1st edition owner I have to spend more money to get my copy updated while newer customers get the whole package in one go. So I might as well trade or sell my copy and the get the "complete" 2nd edition. Especially considering there are rules updates to it.

It's a first world problem, I know. I don't need to upgrade. I don't need to care but it's the nature of the beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esarge wrote:

If you read the comments of the kickstarter update from January, when asked about an upgrade kit, Robert Burke says:

"I could add an upgrade kit with the new cards. The problem will be that it will be expensive for what it is and won't match your existing game since we will be upgrading the components. But if you don't mind sleeving, you could get all the new content without buying the second edition."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Bronson

Kansas City
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. I may not see the problem, but everyone is entitled to their feelings on it.

edit: I mean that, actually. It's easy to come off snarky online. Logus, I do know what you mean and I would probably feel the same way about a different game, with a wider release. I guess I just feel to grudge a designer a way to make their living because I don't want my game devalued is unfair to them. I can see someone arguing either side as unethical.

Thanks for copying the quote from the update, I looked but since I wasn't a backer I think I may not be able to access it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All,

Thanks for the interest in a reprint/expansion.

I have a couple projects in development now that have pushed this back a bit, but I know I need to do a reprint (at minimum) based on the emails I get requesting it.

I do have a bunch of new relic abilities I want to throw in, and there is also a token expansion that I worked on, but that we did not hit the stretch goal for in the original campain. I also have new Variable bonus points we have been playing with that I really like. Each side picks one bonus card and bonus points are added to either side that has it completed at the end of the game. So you only know one of them, but there are two bonus rules you can score. These are things like:

Gain +2 points for each pair of souls you have earned that share the same virtue or weakness.
If you have the most souls at the end of the game, score +4
If you have scored 5 or more points on single victory point cards, score +4
etc..

I can promise that whatever we put in, I will make it available as an expansion, so owners of the first edition can buy it and have everything.

The second edition we be printed the same, but will include everything, increase the rulebook size, update some of the soul cad art, and maybe do a metallic foil on the box. It will be a higher price point that the first edition was.

I could also just reprint the base game as is and do the expansion. And maybe add a "deluxe" version as a stretch goal.

I am open to ideas based on consensus.

Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you include playmats (preferably the neoprene kind), I'll be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you do make an "upgrade kit" for those who backed the original campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinyelvis wrote:
Hello All,

Thanks for the interest in a reprint/expansion.

I have a couple projects in development now that have pushed this back a bit, but I know I need to do a reprint (at minimum) based on the emails I get requesting it.

I do have a bunch of new relic abilities I want to throw in, and there is also a token expansion that I worked on, but that we did not hit the stretch goal for in the original campain. I also have new Variable bonus points we have been playing with that I really like. Each side picks one bonus card and bonus points are added to either side that has it completed at the end of the game. So you only know one of them, but there are two bonus rules you can score. These are things like:

Gain +2 points for each pair of souls you have earned that share the same virtue or weakness.
If you have the most souls at the end of the game, score +4
If you have scored 5 or more points on single victory point cards, score +4
etc..

I can promise that whatever we put in, I will make it available as an expansion, so owners of the first edition can buy it and have everything.

The second edition we be printed the same, but will include everything, increase the rulebook size, update some of the soul cad art, and maybe do a metallic foil on the box. It will be a higher price point that the first edition was.

I could also just reprint the base game as is and do the expansion. And maybe add a "deluxe" version as a stretch goal.

I am open to ideas based on consensus.

Robert

Does the quality of the 1st edition warrant/require a component upgrade? If the 1st edition was fine, I suggest a reprint with future expansions. Any form of deluxe version can be a stretch goal for those desiring it at the deluxe price point. If 1st edition owners are happy with the game as is with respect to quality, then the quickest route to expanding the player base seems wise, i.e. a reprint. I assume the 1st edition would be ready for the printer with minimal work.

There are other games I have been waiting on regarding reprints or expansions, some for quite awhile. With new games being published often, the desire for those reprints and expansions is waning; the felt gap is being filled by new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there aren't any changes made to the 1st edition then an expansion pack is fine with me with a deluxe version for those wanting to get both at the same time.

Nevertheless, 2 editions of the same game sounds less practical than reprinting the 1st edition and making an expansion to me. Of course, I know very little of the production process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally thought the quality was great! There were really only 3 things I was disappointed in with the 1st edition.

1) The KS didn't raise enough for playmats
2) The KS didn't raise enough for the token expansion
3) I wish the names of the sins/virtues on the soul cards were reversed, so that, as the Heaven player, I'm not looking at the virtue name upside-down. It is a minor thing, since I can turn the soul upside down, but then the symbols for the dice spaces on the card are backwards.

But component-wise, rule book-wise, and fun-factor...all top notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know.

I won this and the promos on ebay about an hour ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely prefer the reprint/expansion option. I do not want to have to rebuy the game just to get the new stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinyelvis wrote:

Will a reprint include replacement parts suitable for the first edition?

I'm still sitting on an unplayable copy due to mis-cut cards, and my attempts to obtain replacements via the website were not successful.

My first contact attempt was initially unanswered and so I followed it with a second about a month later.

I then got a reply to the first request about 2 weeks after I made the second, asking for my mailing address which I provided 2 days latter.

That was back in March, I sent a follow-up query in May which was unanswered. I've had no response or replacements sent since.

I can only reasonably assume that is because there are no replacement parts available and you were hoping to obtain them from a reprint that has been delayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So I'm guessing a reprint never happened?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
So I'm guessing a reprint never happened?

Right. New Kickstarter should be coming up soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.