Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » General

Subject: Tell me more! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rulebook and I was astounded.
It's very interesting and amazing. The rulebook provides such little information about the game, and I need more answers.

How many scenarios available in the base game?
And does the scenario need to be played in order?

Receptacles are unique in each scenario? So they can really (visually and thematic-wise) merge with the scenario setting?

How long a game usually lasts? Since there's a saving method during mid-game I had the fear it has long game time.

The biggest concern, how about replayability? Since the rules strongly suggest not to look into the deck at all before playing, this could prove to be disappointing if each scenario becomes obsolete in a single or 2 plays. Considering the content and order of cards in a single deck is pre-constructed.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Game comes with 1 scenario. Additional scenarios are supposedly scheduled to be released quarterly.

One playtester mentioned his group had put 6 hours and counting into the first scenario.

At least the first scenario is "solvable", i.e. once you've "won", you know what you need to do in the future.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
vardamir wrote:
How many scenarios available in the base game?
And does the scenario need to be played in order?

The base game has one scenario, and you can think of the scenarios as a RPG-style/"choose your adventure" style of play. You see what's available and decide what you want to do.

vardamir wrote:
Receptacles are unique in each scenario?

Yes.

vardamir wrote:
How long a game usually lasts? Since there's a saving method during mid-game I had the fear it has long game time.

I played the first scenario three times — that is, three runs — back in 2012 when it was being playtested, and we played perhaps five hours and didn't finish. It was the first experience for all four players, and we stumbled around a lot.

vardamir wrote:
The biggest concern, how about replayability? Since the rules strongly suggest not to look into the deck at all before playing, this could prove to be disappointing if each scenario becomes obsolete in a single or 2 plays. Considering the content and order of cards in a single deck is pre-constructed.

You can try to complete a scenario faster for a higher score, or you can play it again with new people. I can't wait to introduce this game to people in my group, even though I'll be the guy in the back seat letting everyone else decide what to do; I just want to see them experiencing what I've already experienced.

Some scenarios differ more than others depending on the receptacles that players choose.

Disclosure: I was hired by Space Cowboys to edit the English rules and scenarios.
23 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
W Eric Martin wrote:
vardamir wrote:
How many scenarios available in the base game?
And does the scenario need to be played in order?

The base game has one scenario, and you can think of the scenarios as a RPG-style/"choose your adventure" style of play. You see what's available and decide what you want to do.

vardamir wrote:
Receptacles are unique in each scenario?

Yes.

vardamir wrote:
How long a game usually lasts? Since there's a saving method during mid-game I had the fear it has long game time.

I played the first scenario three times — that is, three runs — back in 2012 when it was being playtested, and we played perhaps five hours and didn't finish. It was the first experience for all four players, and we stumbled around a lot.

vardamir wrote:
The biggest concern, how about replayability? Since the rules strongly suggest not to look into the deck at all before playing, this could prove to be disappointing if each scenario becomes obsolete in a single or 2 plays. Considering the content and order of cards in a single deck is pre-constructed.

You can try to complete a scenario faster for a higher score, or you can play it again with new people. I can't wait to introduce this game to people in my group, even though I'll be the guy in the back seat letting everyone else decide what to do; I just want to see them experiencing what I've already experienced.

Some scenarios differ more than others depending on the receptacles that players choose.

Disclosure: I was hired by Space Cowboys to edit the English rules and scenarios.


Wow Eric, thanks for the quick reply.

Since you've quite some plays in your belt. Can you tell me the differences between your first play and consecutive plays?
Wow, only 1 scenario? Is it like a long stretch for a base game to only have 1 scenario? So based on that single scenario, the base game only consist of 4 receptacle cards specifically build for that scenario? The other receptacles are not yet available?

6 hours? Wow, another horror for the game time. Not sure about this one, honestly this make me backed out a bit to get the game. Can you convince me otherwise based on your experience? I usually don't like coop games (though many many times I was drawn towards coop games based on the theme, story, premise and concept of the game) because the amount of decisions on the game are not competitive and prone to Alpha-player syndrome. I like Robinson Crusoe and Legends of Andor and definitely interested to try Darkest Night, Flash Point, Catacombs, Gloomhaven, Mysterium, Ygdrassil, Kingdom Death Monster, Mice & Mystics, and more.
Would this be a game that I would likely like?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 2 will be available also in the Fall (at launch?)
Scenario 3 is end of 2015.
(Scenario 4 early 2016).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Scenario 2 will be available also in the Fall (at launch?)
Scenario 3 is end of 2015.
(Scenario 4 early 2016).

Any estimated price for the base and each scenario pack?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
lfisher wrote:
Scenario 2 will be available also in the Fall (at launch?)
Scenario 3 is end of 2015.
(Scenario 4 early 2016).

Any estimated price for the base and each scenario pack?


40EUR and 25EUR

A lot of this is already discussed over here:
Re: Does the game come with a "story"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
vardamir wrote:
lfisher wrote:
Scenario 2 will be available also in the Fall (at launch?)
Scenario 3 is end of 2015.
(Scenario 4 early 2016).

Any estimated price for the base and each scenario pack?


40EUR and 25EUR

A lot of this is already discussed over here:
Re: Does the game come with a "story"


Sigh... pretty steep.
Don't know what to say. cry
Everything about the game are amazing, but these are quite disappointing (only one scenario for the base game and expensive scenario pack).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So is this a free form game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
shieldwolf wrote:
So is this a free form game?


No, not at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:

Everything about the game are amazing, but these are quite disappointing (only one scenario for the base game and expensive scenario pack).


Yes, that's the general feeling for most of the people following the game in this forum.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
vardamir wrote:
Sigh... pretty steep.
Don't know what to say. cry
Everything about the game are amazing, but these are quite disappointing (only one scenario for the base game and expensive scenario pack).

I can understand the cost because of the amount of artwork in each scenario. Most of the cards have unique artwork on the front and back, so that's a huge expense.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
vardamir wrote:
Since you've quite some plays in your belt. Can you tell me the differences between your first play and consecutive plays?

I'd rather not. Instead I'll say that the game embodies everything that I want in a time travel setting. When you start the second run, you remember everything that you did previously, while everything else is identical to the way it was (since for them they're in the present while you are moving forward through time on a second run through the same stretch of history), so you use that information you've learned and build on it by doing different things.

Or at least you try to. My memory isn't great, so sometimes I'd forget the things that we had just done or where something was located or how we reached a specific location. You have the Groundhog Day syndrome of repeating yourself, possibly unintentionally, or of building on what you've already done.

vardamir wrote:
Wow, only 1 scenario? Is it like a long stretch for a base game to only have 1 scenario? So based on that single scenario, the base game only consist of 4 receptacle cards specifically build for that scenario? The other receptacles are not yet available?

The scenario in the base game includes more than four receptacles. Each scenario has its own set of receptacles appropriate for the setting.

vardamir wrote:
6 hours? Wow, another horror for the game time. Not sure about this one, honestly this make me backed out a bit to get the game. Can you convince me otherwise based on your experience? I usually don't like coop games (though many many times I was drawn towards coop games based on the theme, story, premise and concept of the game) because the amount of decisions on the game are not competitive and prone to Alpha-player syndrome. I like Robinson Crusoe and Legends of Andor and definitely interested to try Darkest Night, Flash Point, Catacombs, Gloomhaven, Mysterium, Ygdrassil, Kingdom Death Monster, Mice & Mystics, and more.
Would this be a game that I would likely like?


First, five hours, not six.

Second, I have no idea. I'm not normally a theme guy or a role-playing guy, but time travel gets me every time, and this game is tops for me because the gameplay feels exactly like the setting that the author wanted to create. It works as I'd expect it to work, with me feeling like a time travel agent.

Third, in most locations players check out different spaces so they're bringing different information to play, sharing what they feel is important about what they've learned. The rotating Time Captain role is meant to dissuade alpha player syndrome because players take turns being in charge of the locations they explore. I haven't experienced alpha-ness in our games, partly because all of us don't lean that way and partly because you start with so little to go on that it's tough for anyone to justifiably take the wheel and claim that they know best.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Third, in most locations players check out different spaces so they're bringing different information to play, sharing what they feel is important about what they've learned. The rotating Time Captain role is meant to dissuade alpha player syndrome because players take turns being in charge of the locations they explore. I haven't experienced alpha-ness in our games, partly because all of us don't lean that way and partly because you start with so little to go on that it's tough for anyone to justifiably take the wheel and claim that they know best.


So based on your statement, the game delivers partial information to each player in a way that players do not share the same important information to decide within their action during the game. Like Hanabi, which I found very interesting and quite fascinating in the cooperative genre. Is this game offers the same premise?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So replayability amounts to speed running a scenario you've already solved, or watching other people play it?

The impression I'm getting so far is one of a lot of previews giving positive publicity to this game, without consideration of the fact that it represents very poor value for money. Any other game that could be reliably beaten with the same strategy after 5 hours play, with no inherent variation, would be getting torn to shreds.

I'm sure it's great if you play it for free. I doubt I'd be able to get the bad taste out of my mouth if I paid 40 Euros for it.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
I'm sure it's great if you play it for free. I doubt I'd be able to get the bad taste out of my mouth if I paid 40 Euros for it.


+1
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
moocifer wrote:
Tarnop wrote:
I'm sure it's great if you play it for free. I doubt I'd be able to get the bad taste out of my mouth if I paid 40 Euros for it.


+1


If I can get three other people to chip in for a group buy for it ($8-$12 each) I feel I could swallow the MSRP for the base game. Like buying a ticket to the movie theater.

I'm just not going to pay for it all by myself.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
So replayability amounts to speed running a scenario you've already solved, or watching other people play it?

The impression I'm getting so far is one of a lot of previews giving positive publicity to this game, without consideration of the fact that it represents very poor value for money. Any other game that could be reliably beaten with the same strategy after 5 hours play, with no inherent variation, would be getting torn to shreds.

I'm sure it's great if you play it for free. I doubt I'd be able to get the bad taste out of my mouth if I paid 40 Euros for it.

Ditto. The game sounds and looks awesome, and the long play time is no consequence to my group. But, the one and done, additional purchases, "disposable" scenarios, kill it for me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point in my gaming life, I am looking for games which provide some different. This seems like one of those. Considering the number of replayable games I have sitting on my shelf, paying for something new doesn't seem so bad. I'd rather have 5 hours of innovative fun than 100 hours of 'ok' repetition.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested to hear why they went from planning to include 3 scenarios in the base set (here) to splitting them up into expansions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
I'd be interested to hear why they went from planning to include 3 scenarios in the base set (here) to splitting them up into expansions.
The price of the base box was too high.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grouik wrote:
Tarnop wrote:
I'd be interested to hear why they went from planning to include 3 scenarios in the base set (here) to splitting them up into expansions.
The price of the base bow was too high.


Well yeah, if they were planning on charging 100 euro for it then it was definitely too high. Maybe what I'd like to hear is why they think a board, some tokens, and 3 decks of cards is worth 100 euro.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
I'd be interested to hear why they went from planning to include 3 scenarios in the base set (here) to splitting them up into expansions.


Probably because the enormous amount of work required to create a scenario would have made the price of the base just ridiculously high.

If you think the game is expansive and the scenarios are expansive, you have to realize how many hours of design, how many hours of play testing, how much energy and how many illustrations are required to come up with a working scenario.

I would say that 5 hours to complete a scenario is a minimum. The medieval-fantasy scenario is definitely more than that.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
Tarnop wrote:
Well yeah, if they were planning on charging 100 euro for it then it was definitely too high. Maybe what I'd like to hear is why they think a board, some tokens, and 3 decks of cards is worth 100 euro.

If all you were buying was "a board, some tokens, and 3 decks of cards", the cost would be much lower. Once you add game design, artwork and development — the things that actually make the game — the cost goes up. As I noted above, the use of unique artwork on the front and back of most cards adds greatly to the cost, just as Race for the Galaxy costs $35 when it's "only" a deck of cards and a few tokens.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The value of an item is the utility you get out of it, not the work that went into it. You can still have a completely unique game of Race for the Galaxy after 5 hours of playing it. I'd be unhappy with that game if, after that much play, I was relegated to watching other people play while I kept silent to avoid spoiling it for them.

Commissioning unique artwork for both sides of a card that most players will see 3 or 4 times seems like a massive extravagance.

edit : I suppose what I'm saying is that with Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases we have an established baseline for a story driven investigation game with limited replay value. For the fun and variety of scenarios I'm currently getting from that game, I think it represents decent value. Time Stories looks like it will be 4 times the price for half the content.
15 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.