Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Terminals and adjacency rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Haley Brawner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
If a mission's rules require a hero to be the only unit adjacent to a terminal, but an imp unit is ON the terminal, does that count as the imp unit being adjacent to the terminal? It would seem kind of ludicrous to me for it not to be, but it doesn't seem clear in the rules - in skirmish it does specify on or adjacent to control a terminal, so I'm assuming it's the same here?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
this is from side mission "luxury cruise"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play like they are. I think the rules do specify that an object and a figure in the same space are adjacent for the purposes of Blast and Cleave (see Attacking Objects). It would be silly for them not to be adjacent for other purposes the purpose of control of the terminal. (Edit: Maybe not go all the way and muddy up the definition of adjacency.)

A little forum search could probably locate our previous discussion buried deep in here somewhere. (But they were seemingly for other cases than controlling terminals.)

Probably a place for an errata. You can agree to play the mission with either interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the rules for control:

If the mission rules say control a terminal, then a hostile figure on it would prevent control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mission in question does not use Control, it rewrites the rule instead, possibly by mistake omitting the "on or" part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then you're right: it is unclear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haley Brawner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks guys - yea it's a bit unclear but given everything else I think it's safe to play it as being on top of the terminal is considered adjacent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Williams
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll use the control definition for all cases of activating objects. Unless specifically stated.
Makes sense. Thematically speaking it would be very difficult to use a control panel if the enemy is standing right next to the object you need to interact with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphaborn wrote:
I'll use the control definition for all cases of activating objects. Unless specifically stated.

Don't. Interact with an object does not require control.

Of course, unless you want to crush the rebels into ground and want to never play Imperial Assault with them again. Requiring control to be able to interact with an object will break all missions with doors and terminals. It would be very easy for the imperial player to block control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're talking about this, right?
Quote:
At the end of each round, if 1 or more Rebel figures are the only figures adjacent to a terminal, it is secured. Discard the token.

You guys are making it way more complicated than it actually is. The rules for Control and Interact are irrelevant since that is not what we're doing here. The rules for Adjacent make it pretty clear that it only refers to stuff in spaces it shares an edge with:

Spaces are adjacent to other spaces, not themselves. So it's very simple: are there Rebel figures in the spaces that share edges with the space the terminal is in and no Imperial figures in those spaces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, yes. You can play the mission as written as long as you make everyone aware of what it means.

You can also play the other way, the more thematic way, and the way the rule is most probably intended - that a hostile figure also on the terminal prevents securing the terminal.

I usually take the literal interpretation of mission rules, and play as written, even when a mission rule is clearly begging for an errata (and most of them have actually gotten them by now). But as long as both sides agree before the mission, choosing the 'obviously' intended interpretation is just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it somewhere in the rules that an object is considered adjacent to the space it is one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
Isn't it somewhere in the rules that an object is considered adjacent to the space it is one?

Only for the purposes of Blast and Cleave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.