Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I'm fascinated by space exploration and have several games on the topic already. Can anyone give some comparison with Liftoff!. I'm particularly interested in how the research works and how risks are managed. Once a technology is safe, is there then absolutely no chance of it failing?

Also, what is the balance between luck and skill? Are there lots of key decisions to make, or is there generally a clear path to take and hope for the best? (I enjoy both styles, so happy either way).

Has the designer played any of the following for comparison:
Liftoff!
High Frontier
Destination: Neptune

Hoping this is a great game and that I can find good reason to pre-order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Once a technology is fully improved, there's no chance of it failing. This can be an expensive proposition, though. Researching a tech costs $10; fully improving it could cost $25, plus whatever components are needed.

The easiest missions tend to be based on luck; the hardest ones on skill. Who gets a rocket in space first is generally just luck. Who puts a man on Mars first is mostly a matter of skill.

If you had unlimited time, there would probably be a best course to follow. As it is, you're racing against other players and the clock, so the best course of action takes into account what you can do with the limited resources you have now.

I've never played Liftoff or High Frontier (and never heard of Destination: Neptune). From what I can tell, Leaving Earth is more flexible than Liftoff in the strategies it allows. Hopefully the High Frontier fans around here can help with comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks for the useful answers. Sounds like a good mix of skill and luck, so I'll probably go for this.

[Edit] Oh and if you want to try Liftoff! it was implemented as the computer game, Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space and is available as a free download somewhere online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
Thanks for the useful answers. Sounds like a good mix of skill and luck, so I'll probably go for this.

[Edit] Oh and if you want to try Liftoff! it was implemented as the computer game, Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space and is available as a free download somewhere online.

I haven't played it yet but have researched it quite a bit and I think your assessment is about right. High Frontier is also a very good game, but it's more of a pure simulation. Its dense and complex and has quite a learning curve. That said it pays you back in spades for the time invested. It was designed by a rocket scientist after all.

Leaving Earth, designed by an engineer! is less of a full simulation (although there is some of that) and more abstracted than High Frontier and far more accessible making it easier to play with others which means it will hit the table more often. I think there's easily room for both in any space buff's game collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:

I haven't played it yet but have researched it quite a bit and I think your assessment is about right. High Frontier is also a very good game, but it's more of a pure simulation. Its dense and complex and has quite a learning curve. That said it pays you back in spades for the time invested. It was designed by a rocket scientist after all.

Leaving Earth, designed by an engineer! is less of a full simulation (although there is some of that) and more abstracted than High Frontier and far more accessible making it easier to play with others which means it will hit the table more often. I think there's easily room for both in any space buff's game collection.

Really good answer. I'm in for the 3rd edition of High Frontier because I hope to be able to understand it well enough to have that really immersive experience. I'm in for Leaving Earth because even with just what's been presented here I think I understand the game and I want a space game I'm sure I can play correctly. Looking forward to both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the rules for Destination: Neptune, and I think I can make an attempt at comparison.

Destination: Neptune is simpler, more focused on commercial development and building things out in the Solar System, and your options are more driven by which cards you've drawn.

Leaving Earth is more complex, focused on the process of traveling in space, focused on simply getting to a location with a probe or an astronaut, and your options are more driven by funding and technological development.

If anyone here is familiar with Destination: Neptune, your opinion on it would be more valuable than mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Just to clarify my original post, I own and am very familiar with the three games I listed. I wondered whether the designer or member of the development team could say where Leaving Earth would sit in comparison with those other games, not the other way round.

And while we're throwing out of game credibility around, I have two degrees in astronautics, one engineering and one science.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully in September someone will be able to make those comparisons better. I know I've never played any of the three games you mentioned (I'm the designer of Leaving Earth, by the way). No one who's playtested it had ever even heard of High Frontier, though I didn't ask about Liftoff or Destination: Neptune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
And while we're throwing out of game credibility around, I have two degrees in astronautics, one engineering and one science.

Steve, I'd be very interested in your thoughts on the supplemental material in the rulebook. That's where I try to briefly explain some of the real-world concepts behind the game. My background is definitely not astronautics, so hopefully I got some of it right...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
buffalohat wrote:
slashing wrote:

Steve, I'd be very interested in your thoughts on the supplemental material in the rulebook. That's where I try to briefly explain some of the real-world concepts behind the game. My background is definitely not astronautics, so hopefully I got some of it right...

I would be happy to read the material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think he's referring to the excerpt he already linked to in another thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:

Steve, the supplementary material is now online (along with the rest of the rulebook). It starts on page 41, the chapter entitled "Beyond the Game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
buffalohat wrote:
slashing wrote:

Steve, the supplementary material is now online (along with the rest of the rulebook). It starts on page 41, the chapter entitled "Beyond the Game".

Very well written. I questioned a few facts, but on investigation found your accuracy to be better than my memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.