Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in a bit of a quandary over these new Down in Flames games. I have played both Rise of the Luftwaffe and Corsairs and Hellcats ALOT.

I feel that this new system really builds on an already fun dogfighting game and makes it better. The speed of the planes, along with the horsepower rules really smooth out the hand play during a turn. Absolutely no complaints over the way that was improved.

The campaigns...not so much. I really enjoyed the ingress and egress turns, the flak, and even missing the target didn't bother me. Not sure why people complained about that to begin with. I also liked the target cards, and rolling for mission assignments. Again, I have played those others numerous times.

My question is, with this wingman expansion, it seems like it brings the number of planes in a mission back to the old game. Is this true? If so, can the old campaigns be played with the new planes (and rules)?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing changes with missions or campaigns.
It has wingman cards for all fighters and rules for using them.
I do wish DVG would update their campaign system though. Personally I think I understand why the new campaigns are done the way they are but I also think that many of us prefer a detailed approach.

I think your feelings echo most players of the earlier games: the basic mechanics are a big improvement, the campaigns a let down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Scott, do you think it is possible to use the new planes and wingmen to use with the old campaigns for dogfighting, and use the old decks to resolve the flak and hits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that would work
Some of the planes are not available in the DVG version but this doesn't have to be an issue
You'd have to use the bomb ratings from the old game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I am thinking. Either that, or hope Dan comes up with an add on to retro the campaigns as it were.

I don't mind the reduced number (no wingmen) in the new game, if only the campaigns had the same meat to them.

It is what it is I guess. At least the new ones are easier to teach to the kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came up with my own approach years ago and printed out target cards and stuff. It was fun but can't remember all the details now. It was simpler than the GMT version but did involve flak, bombing and flak suppression.

Wish I had actually documented it somehow!soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1169360

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/735324/henderson-field-raid-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.