Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking over the new rules for the first time (four pages in English; see Files section), a few thoughts might start us out in a discussion of them. Since we have to wait until November for the game itself (according to Metagot's estimate of how long it will take after Essen to get them to the USA), we might as well discuss some of them.

1. We'll need to see more documents and components before we know what the rules imply. We'd especially need to see the new Index of Powers, Cards, Skills, objects and Bonuses. It sounds like a great reference tool to play. But there are new item included in it, such as the Skill Tokens, a couple of which are illustrated in the rules, which we'd need to learn about. I hope Metagot will publish this Index for us as well. Then we can also see the new Battle Cares and Divine Intervention Cards too.

2. As I've said elsewhere, the New Victory Condition may be the most significant change of all. The fact that a tie still unbroken after comparing both VPs and Battle VPs goes to the first player will certainly change how player's resolve the battles in the new Dawn Phase.

3. We knew that the new Mercenaries would allow a player to increase his number of armies on the board. But the new Priests appear to be another way to do this--and give us stronger 'powered up' figures as well! Also, it seems that there are only enough mercenaries for one player at a time (probably from their Black Power Tile), whereas every player will get four Priests.

4. There will be many interesting options with the Priests, as they can either be used on the new Ta-Seti journeying board to continue to amass new stuff, or on the board as units.

5. Here's another shout out to Metagot for all their work to bring us a great new version of the game, after reading that last sentence in the new rules! It looks great, and seems like it will proove another major advance, as was Titans for Cyclades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Gon
msg tools
Thanks to share this new rules.
I like the fact that you can decide to activate some of the modules. My fear would be that if you activate all, the game could lose part of its fluidity. Certainly, this expansion should be reserved for players very used to Kemet (what actually is the norm in all the expansions whistle)

Some comments (not sure if Matagot could consider them at this stage) meeple

The heart of the expansion are modules 1,3 and in a lower degree, 5. Modules 2 and 4, are more variant rules, that could basically be played with the base game.

Module 1 is great and we have already talked a lot about it. However, for 2 and probably for 3 players, I would recomend to reduce the number of tiles for each pyramid to generate some scarcity (you could propose this as a variant in the final version of the rules).

Module 2: I am not sure if I kept the purpose of this module. The idea would be to privilege, not the one who is the last in VP but the one who takes more risk in battles? So, this a way to motivate players to take risks and move away from their cities. I could imagine someone making an attack with one unit to be sure he will lose (without providing a VP to the other player)in order to win a dawn token. In any case this is an option to be reserved to a very experienced group tired to see that the last player is allways winning. However some clarifications would be necesary in the rules:
a) If you lose a battle AND lose all your troops, would you win 1 or 2 dawn tokens?
b) When determining the dawn value: Do you hide your dawn tokens under your cards? I presume that that will make sense... however, not sure if a token is appropiated to be easily hiden under a card

Module 3: For me the biggest innovation in the game, that probably would affect the way you are playing. This priests race looks nice and with lot of strategy. Now you will need a creature and a priest in your combos. (Anxious to have the index too)
Regarding that, John Snow, I understood that your priest will replace a soldier, so, if you do not have mercernaries, you will never have more than 12 soldiers.
For the rules, it will be good to clarify the following:
a) When returning a priest to the path of seti (because you already have 3 in game)you recover one of the discarded soldiers (I presume this is the case).
b) When solving a battle who decides which unit (soldier or priest) is killed first? (I presume that the owner of the troops... or another option is that you have to start killing the soldiers before killing the priests).

Module 4: Again a rule to be reserved for experienced players tired to see how the last player wins...

Module 5: Anxious to see the new battle cards and DI powers.

Again, thanks to matagot to share the new rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D b
msg tools
edugon69 wrote:

Module 2: However some clarifications would be necesary in the rules:
a) If you lose a battle AND lose all your troops, would you win 1 or 2 dawn tokens?

I don't think it needs any clarification, the wording is pretty clear:

"A player who loses a battle or who loses all units
during a battle gains a Dawn token of value “+1 strength”"

edugon69 wrote:

b) When determining the dawn value: Do you hide your dawn tokens under your cards? I presume that that will make sense... however, not sure if a token is appropiated to be easily hiden under a card

As I understand it, beginning with the last player (on the turn track), everyone plays a battle card open, and discards another one. Additionally the player can spend his dawn points.
So the next player sees what the players before put down, and can decide to spend points to beat it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Carrete
United States
Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mr Snow for pointing out the rules and Thank you Matagot for posting them . I have been waiting for them for a while, Kemet is one of my favorite games. The whole set of black tiles really gives us the option for a ton of new combos; I really like all the modules. Like Snow, I am curious to see if the priests allow us to increase the number of units we have on the board. Also each player only gets three priests, not four.
chas59 wrote:
Also, it seems that there are only enough mercenaries for one player at a time (probably from their Black Power Tile), whereas every player will get four Priests.[/i]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, let's take a second look at the rules:

1. A Priest replaces a regular soldier, but that soldier goes into the reserve, not out of the game, so I'd guess that you could build him again and have more than the number of figures you started with before you added the Priest.

2. Three Priests per player is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Gon
msg tools
ebqz wrote:
edugon69 wrote:

Module 2: However some clarifications would be necesary in the rules:

I don't think it needs any clarification, the wording is pretty clear:

"A player who loses a battle or who loses all units
during a battle gains a Dawn token of value “+1 strength”"

edugon69 wrote:

As I understand it, beginning with the last player (on the turn track), everyone plays a battle card open, and discards another one. Additionally the player can spend his dawn points.
So the next player sees what the players before put down, and can decide to spend points to beat it.

Thanks Db for the clarifications. Regarding the dawn value, that means that it would be very dificult to keep the last place in turn order for a long. That's good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Gon
msg tools
chas59 wrote:
Okay, let's take a second look at the rules:

1. A Priest replaces a regular soldier, but that soldier goes into the reserve, not out of the game, so I'd guess that you could build him again and have more than the number of figures you started with before you added the Priest.

2. Three Priests per player is correct.

Sorry, you are right. That means that potentially you could have 18 units at the same time (12 regular + 3 mercenaries + 3 priests). Good but not enough to have 4 full armies

Regarding my second question about what do you do when you decide to return one of your priest from your reserve (when you have all in the main board) to the ta seti path, it does not make sense after your clarifiaciton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh I'm initially sorry there aren't enough mercenaries for all, but I suppose the designers know what they are doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: can a player gain more than 1 VP from reaching Ta-Seti?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BARIOT Jacques
France
strasbourg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yes, you can win more than one VP, but it will take several turns...

Have fun playing

Jacques

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Musstermann
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Priests existing as units seems to make the new Mercenaries tile rather pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaus,

I wouldn't say that, as the benefits of putting Priests on the Ta-Seti board are probably more valuable in general than just using them as more infantry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keep in mind that these modules can be used as desired. Every game group is different. Perhaps some groups would rather not use the black tiles or maybe not use the path to ta-seti. If this is the case, the mercs and priests are a very nice individual boosts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the new victory condition, do I understand correctly that you can win immediately in the middle of your turn if you, for example, have a silver bonus action token available? That is, use your normal action to push you to the threshold (8 or 10) the before placing your silver action token you are at or above the threshold and have the highest score so you win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.