Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up a copy of the base game recently (being holding off for the v2 but this v1 copy was a bargin). Downloaded all the lastest v2 stuff and the FAQ, and anything else that was up for grabs on the MegaCon downloads page. But what I would like to know, is there anything beyond that that is essential to get started without running into problems?

If all goes well I intend to invest the various expansions, but want to get a good taste for the base game first.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can run the game just fine with some extra proxies now and then,....

but if you like to have enough models 99% time; I'd suggest picking up a box each of the crawlers, stalkers, grubbers, and muckers.

After that, the Orc boss (Orneas) is a good pick up to add another end game.

next step would be the Skeletons,.... I've seen whole groups of Shamblers (20), Souless (4) and Bones (1) go for $50 or less on eBay. I think they also have a deal on them still on the MCG page. Also these undead are the focus of the quarterly free module updates this year.

Did you get that "Rise of the Revenant" file?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmb
Nyogtha wrote:
Picked up a copy of the base game recently (being holding off for the v2 but this v1 copy was a bargin). Downloaded all the lastest v2 stuff and the FAQ, and anything else that was up for grabs on the MegaCon downloads page. But what I would like to know, is there anything beyond that that is essential to get started without running into problems?

If all goes well I intend to invest the various expansions, but want to get a good taste for the base game first.

Thanks in advance.

The base game plays fine, since you've got 2.X rules there's nothing I'd call "essential" still missing. However, for quality of life, I have 2 suggestions that you can download for free from BGG.

The 2.0 rules adjusted the Slaughterfield rules so you aren't guaranteed to need a proxy, but proxies are nice to have. There's a PDF of printable proxies in the files section, easy to use: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/103226/creature-proxies

Yardu *still* spawns a soulless in 2.0 if you roll his Necrotic Aura, so I'd also recommend downloading MFaulk80's alternate Yardu from the files section: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104008/alternative-monste...

Cheers!

[edit: typo typo typo. I need to hit preview before submit - one day !]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil -

I'm right with you, just traded for Myth the other day and I'm currently waiting for the base game to arrive.

Here's what the jist of the BGG forum says -

Gets to help -

Souless
Shamblers

Orc Boss

Then add more crawlers, stalkers, grubbers, and muckers when you can.

Grab the 2.0 updates and the free adventures, Rise of the Revenant and the Fireborne one

Basically that is what I did. I found the Souless and Shamblers yesterday at my local store and grabbed them.

I also found the 2 Quest decks and items cards found on the Megacon website would help.

I'm trying to now learn how all the quests work, still researching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for my base game to ship with the 2.0 rules from the Journeyman Kickstarter. That said, I have already picked up an extra set of the four core monsters from the base game. I have read that you can do fine without, but if you add a second lair and start spawning more creatures you will find yourself running short with the figures in the basic box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyogtha wrote:
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Thanks for topic Phil. I'm in the same boat having just picked up the base game. Good info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Brehm
msg tools
mbmb
It looks like they have a sale going for the Rise of the Revenant stuff:
http://store.megacongames.com/collections/frontpage/products...

Seems like a good way to bulk out on the 'cheap'

Leaves you without the extra guys to avoid proxying, but otherwise tons of goodys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.