Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I have played my first game yesterday and decided to ask a few questions.

First, regarding devolve. Can I devolve after declared actions like Zingaya? Can I devolve before my action?

Spellbook requirements like Hastur's giving 3 doom to a player. I must do this at the start of my round and watch the others play? Can I do it as my last action in the round, after other actions?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devolve must be done between actions. This means that you can't wait until they've declared to Capture or Zingaya to decide to Devolve. You must instead anticipate their move, and Devolve defensively.

Yellow Sign's 3-Doom-Point requirement is an action like any other. It can be the first action you take for the round, or the last action, or any action in between. But like all actions, it must be your turn, and you must not be at zero power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
DEVOLVE example

It is turn 3

Yellow Sign, who is First Player, takes his first action, which is to move the King in Yellow. When he finishes, Cthulhu responds by Devolving a cultist.

Cthulhu, who is next in the Action phase, then takes his first action, which is to summon a Shoggoth. He then decides he wants to Devolve a second Cultist. (After his Summoning.)

YELLOW SIGN Example:

It is Turn 2

On his first action Yellow Sign moves the King in Yellow. Cost 1 Power

Second action, Yellow Sign tries to Desecrate and fails. Cost 2 Power

Third action, Yellow Sign gives 3 Doom to Black Goat. Cost 0 Power

Fourth action, Yellow Sign tries to Desecrate again. Cost 2 Power

etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venshad wrote:
First, regarding devolve. Can I devolve after declared actions like Zingaya? Can I devolve before my action?
Before and after any action you can Devolve.

Venshad wrote:
Spellbook requirements like Hastur's giving 3 doom to a player. I must do this at the start of my round and watch the others play? Can I do it as my last action in the round, after other actions?

You'll have to use this before you run out of power, because once you do, you can't take anymore actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
DEVOLVE example

It is turn 3

Yellow Sign, who is First Player, takes his first action, which is to move the King in Yellow. When he finishes, Cthulhu responds by Devolving a cultist.

Cthulhu, who is next in the Action phase, then takes his first action, which is to summon a Shoggoth. He then decides he wants to Devolve a second Cultist. (After his Summoning.)

So Devolve ALWAYS happens AFTER an action, be it mine or others, so I can't use it in response to that action BEFORE it finishes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Venshad wrote:
Sandy Petersen wrote:
DEVOLVE example

It is turn 3

So Devolve ALWAYS happens AFTER an action, be it mine or others, so I can't use it in response to that action BEFORE it finishes.

Correct. It's between Actions. The reason it's worded "after" is because you can't do it during the Action Phase before the first player's very first Action of that phase.

for future reference, at least two other abilities work identical to this among the expansions to be aware of:

High Priests (from their eponymous expansion)
Dimensional Shamblers (from Azathoth)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure that's right? I'd swear you guys have stated elsewhere that Devolve can be used before the first action of the phase, despite the literal wording of the spellbook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In practice its basically the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if it must be between actions, not only cannot it be done before the first action of the round, it cannot be done after the last (i.e. once the very last power has been spent). Personally, I'd allow both of those cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Urhixidur wrote:
Also, if it must be between actions, not only cannot it be done before the first action of the round, it cannot be done after the last (i.e. once the very last power has been spent). Personally, I'd allow both of those cases.

The spellbook specifies "after" an action. I don't see anything wrong with devolving after the last player's action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They've also specifically said that you can sack your High Priest after the last action in the phase, and then continue taking actions in that same phase. That means you can certainly Devolve after the last action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Urhixidur wrote:

I was saying "between" to explain in context with the question that I was answering. It really is "after", which means it is ALSO between. And therefore, YES, you can do at after the very last Action.

Sorry for the confusion.

AdamStarks wrote:
Are you sure that's right? I'd swear you guys have stated elsewhere that Devolve can be used before the first action of the phase, despite the literal wording of the spellbook.

Although I have no memory of it, it is possible that at one time you could do it before the first player's first Action, but it's been clarified for quite some time now that you cannot do it at that initial point (in my mind, at least since the Battle requires 1 power rule(!) ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.