Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that in a campaign, the Imperial player is limited to the figures in the box (for example, no more than 3 sets of Stormtroopers). But with non-unique expansions coming out, for example Star Wars: Imperial Assault – Hired Guns Villain Pack, how many figures is the Imperial player limited to using as open groups in a campaign? Just one pack? Can he buy 3 packs and use 3 sets?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't the villain packs "villains" in regards to not having access to them until you get their reward card from a side mission?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Villains are only the unique Imperial Deployment Cards. Non-uniques are not Villains (see pg 4 of the RRG). Having said that, on page 18 for open groups, it states, "he cannot choose an ally he has not gained as a reward." It states ally, not villain. That's weird though, since that would mean you couldn't ever use Stormtroopers (outside the initial groups), since there's no way in the game to gain the Stormtrooper ally in the base game. I think the term "ally" in this case is referring to "Villain" on page 5 (it states, "Imperial allies are referred to as villains.")

So, according to the RRG, Imp Allies are only the unique allies, otherwise known as Villains. You cannot include an Imp Ally (i.e. a unique char) unless you have gained it as a reward. Non-uniques are simply available at will. The current limitation for non-uniques is limited to "what's in the box". There is no defined limit for expansion packs. At least, that I can find...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine that Hired guns will have deployment rules that specify their use in campaign. My guess is that until we know, you'd be limited to 1 of each. (elite and regular)

Although, it's not impossible that they would work like non-unique rebel figures (like Rebel Troopers or Saboteurs) and their use would require the winning of an included mission (or ignoring).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think you're right. Since they tend to limit things based on what's in the box (Twin Shadows limited the Heavy Stormtroopers to just the two sets, one Elite and one Normal), they're probably going to limit the non-uniques to the cards in one pack (i.e. one Elite and one Normal, or in the case of the big ones like the Bantha Rider, just one Elite).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't aware that the Hired Guns weren't unique. Interesting! I'll need to read up on these before I do the Twin Shadows campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtroopers aren't either, and I bet the Bantha Rider isn't unique as well (just like the AT-ST). But they aren't part of Twin Shadows, just the next wave of figure packs after Twin Shadows (so if you play TS right away, you won't have to worry about these packs).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to be corrected by someone who was at Gen Con, but I'm assuming the "habitat" key-word limits the tile sets/missions they can be used on as open groups. i.e. no Wampas on Endor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't the current packs say "add these things to the supply in the box" in their rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MacavityandMycroft wrote:
I'm happy to be corrected by someone who was at Gen Con, but I'm assuming the "habitat" key-word limits the tile sets/missions they can be used on as open groups. i.e. no Wampas on Endor.

Correct, here's the actual wording:

Quote:
HABITAT

Habitat is a keyword found on certain Deployment
cards. During a campaign, when the Imperial player
is selecting open groups for a mission, he can choose
a Deployment card with the Habitat keyword only if
there is at least one tile in that mission’s map whose type
matches the listed Habitat.

Note: During a skirmish, Habitat has no effect.

There's also a new section of Tile Type, that lists all the different tiles and which type they are, specifically for this Habitat key word. The only figures that use Habitat right now are the Tuskan Raiders, and my guess is the Bantha Rider (have they spoiled his card yet?). Wampas have been spoiled with "Habitat: Snow", but oddly Snowtroopers lack this key word.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything in the core (and not unique) is considered "in box". If you buy an expansion, you add thinggs to "the box". So as IP, you can use anything you bought, unless stated otherwise on the deployment card.

So if the unit is limited to a habitat, you can only use it, if the habitat rule is fulfilled. If the map does not contain outside deployment point, you can not use AT-ST etc.

If you are a rebel, then you can only deploy one ally group if you got that ally as a mission reward. In this case it is not important, if the group is or is not unique. It is always just one group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that up to this point, every group that has a normal set also has an elite set. It would be weird to not allow the elite set (or vice versa). I bet they will allow one copy of each (which would require purchasing 2 sets to have both on the board at the same time).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of open groups solves this problem for you and also the threat income limits you a lot. As IP you are free to use any combination of units from the single core box and single each expansion you bought. If you have the deployment cards, you can use them.

It is usually better to use different units as the open groups. It allows you to be more versatile and it is more fun for your opponents.

In skirmish, the rules are more clear as it allows unlimited amount of game boxes. You are limited by 4 same common (white) deployment cards, 2 red ones and one unique card with specific name (aka it is not possible to use two Skywalker incarnations). Skywalkers can fight each other if both player play for the same faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty clear they'll maintain the one box worth, idea. The choice is either that they limit you to the figures in the box or the deployment cards in the box.

So either you have one set of figures that can either be Regular or Elite, or you have the option to buy a second box to field both Regular and Elite versions at the same time.

Now, given that the Component Limitations section of the RRG limits by figures rather than cards, the former option seems more likely. However, This is by no means conclusive and my analysis here is very likely to be wrong. It's probably better to just wait and see rather than making assumptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Williams
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am going this direction. If the group is not suppossed to be acquired during a mission, you can use any group you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly it. Villains are just non-Rebel allies. Allies are all Rebels, and all non-Rebel unique groups. An Imperial Player can include any non-Rebel card as an Open Group except allies, but an additional exception allows him to use allies he has earned too.

Here are the appropriate rules:

RRG - Allies wrote:
• All figures corresponding to Rebel Deployment cards are allies.
All figures corresponding to unique Imperial Deployment
cards (such as “Darth Vader”) are villains.

RRG - Allies wrote:
Imperial allies are referred to as villains. They follow all of the
same rules as allies, in addition to the following:
• Once gained as a reward, villains (such as “Darth Vader”) can
be brought into any mission as an open group.

RRG - Mission Setup wrote:
» He may choose any non-Rebel Deployment cards not
used in the initial or reserved groups. He cannot choose
an ally that he has not gained as a reward.

And yes, you can definitely choose an AT-ST as an Open Group. If your Rebels have earned an ally with a high deployment cost, and the mission you are playing isn't set mostly in interior spaces, then an AT-ST can be a nice shock to the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.