United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
As I prepare to step off again into The Ineffable I find that staring into this image of a previous trek causes the insistence of work-for-money to curl into itself, becoming tinny and distant, washed out by the understated tones of wind bifurcated over stone peaks. There is so much that work wants that work is just not going to get...

Fig.1 — For full effect click to enlarge image, then grab the heaviest thing you can find, put a plastic bag over your head and climb up and down off the roof like a thousand times.

When I do manage to slap myself away from the image I'm overwhelmed by the problem of choosing a book for the trip. You have to bring one—you don't want to be the boob who doesn't have a book when everyone else is feeding their minds and you're left alone to stare at glorious nature-forms—again—pretending that it's all you need. So, you will have a book. The problem is one of size and scope; you want it to be as small as possible (read: light) but still be long enough to last the entire trip. Humping a finished book over three more passes is a kind of Puritan self-flagellation. But if it's too long, then the magnitude of wasted effort is equally shameful. Ideally, you'd snap it shut, done, just as you were ready for lights-out on the last night. Then there's the problem of scope—you don't want to be reading a technical manual, or something about the more wretched aspects of civilization, just as you don't necessarily want something too nature-focused—it's a bit much to settle down to after suffering in it all day. It turns out something like a 197-page Millennial Edition of Lord of Rings would be just the thing.

Last time out I had two books to choose from at the trailhead: a big, fat Norse mythology tome and The Great Gatsby, grabbed because it was comparatively tiny and I hadn't ever actually read it. Laid side-by-side on the campsite table everyone agreed it should be Gatsby, for obvious reasons. But that night before stepping off I made the mistake of cracking the mythology book and reading the extensive introduction—it talked about how these once-religious texts highlighted Viking thought and culture, how every setback and vicissitude, every seemingly insurmountable challenge was seen as a direct test of the gods laid in your path just for you. Vikings could double-dog-dare each other into doing the most ridiculous things, and it would just make them laugh and laugh. River too swollen to cross? The hell you say! And another one dives in, perhaps to drown, perhaps to bellow at your cowardice from the other side.

I related the story with obvious excitement over breakfast, and the wisest of the acres there pointed out that now I must carry the big book over the mountains, as that is what any Viking would not hesitate to do. And godsdammit, they were right. So I did, and it rained for three days straight and we were never completely dry the rest of the week, and all the while that ridiculous weight on my back filled my heart with a kind of dark glee—you, you brought a comic book, like a child; you, a mystery paperback torn in half; and you, a tiny philosophical treatise about laying down while the world rolls over you... while I carried the deeds of the gods, from cosmic cow ice-licking to the burning blood of Ragnarok! Those others were, in the end, shamed as the soft, pink men there were shown to be. As we progressed and my pace became more determined, even mirthful, there were many offers and bribes of hidden Pop-Tarts® to let them carry it, if only for a day, over one pass, you know, just to see how it feels. I merely bellowed at their cowardice from the other side.

And so we loop back around to the current problem: which book now? I pulled an as-yet unread work by John Muir off the shelf, and noticed that it was incongruously near Alive, the book about plane crash cannibals, perhaps a little too on the nose. I also have one about the Donner Party, but it's kinda heavy.

Poll: Books for Backpacking
What do you think?
Put some goddamn muffins in yer sweater, go full Muir
Half a shitty sci-fi paperback
Alive AND the Donner Party book—it's better to be feared than loved
SASQUATCH
Hardcover War and Peace, you soft, pink man
None—steal someone else's book every night, hide it in their pack every morning
Reading is hard—I saw a wall of text and just kinda laid down
      61 answers
Poll created by HiveGod
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm - you have heard about these things called ebook readers haven't you? Small, light, and fairly robust. Battery will last long enough for all but the longest walks (and even then you can buy a solar panel recharger).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah! Those are for zap-heads and media socialites—I want a brick of plant matter meticulously imprinted with permanent text AS THOR INTENDED. An e-reader is the sort of thing a skræling would beg to carry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
not to mention what happens to your ereader when you slip and fall...

Last trip I took, was toting a pocket copy of some collected works in old english. Kind like your Norse example above, that stuff really puts me in the wilderness mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking something by Hemingway. Paperback. And some boxing gloves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
An e-reader is the sort of thing a skræling would beg to carry.

Goddamn right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
That was the toughest poll I've ever participated in.
You're a real bastard, not allowing us to choose multiple answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd carry one of those nature books [something] of the [where you're hiking], like Geology of the Sierra Nevada. (I just made that title up, but it's a real book.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Folke
Denmark
Lyngby (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
badge
Pierce 2
mbmbmbmbmb
How could you miss one of the most important criteria for that kind of book?

You know, when you are sitting there, enjoying the view. You are done. You rip out a page of your book. Not enough. You rip out another. And then.. you have to read a few pages more, because you hadn't anticipated THAT much chili in the meal last night. By the time you are truly done, you need to use the shovel to help you get up, because you had to read so much in order to, you know. Keep some standards.

Oh. I guess that's option 2. Nevermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring a blank book and a pen and compose your own Edda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You lost me at bifurcated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
Dammit—I knew I shoulda gone with dilacerated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
Alive AND the Donner Party book—it's better to be feared than loved

What? Not 'To Serve Man'?

It falls under shitty science fiction
Spoiler (click to reveal)
'The Day the Earth Stood Still' by Harry Bates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
Bah! Those are for zap-heads and media socialites—I want a brick of plant matter meticulously imprinted with permanent text AS THOR INTENDED. An e-reader is the sort of thing a skræling would beg to carry.

Why are you saying this on this platform? Shouldn't you be sending us all real, dead tree mail through the US Postal service?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you find Alive and the Donner Party a bit too prosaic, and you want to make the entire party question why they left the comforts of home to die on a godforsaken hunk of rock, might I suggest a spot of light reading on the Dyatlov Pass Incident?

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Dead-Dyatlov-Pass-Incident/dp...

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Mountain-Untold-Dyatlov-Incident/...

Quote:
Following the search party's retrievals of the bodies, the questions deepen when the victims are discovered, insufficiently dressed for the frigid weather, shoeless, with violent injuries,

[spoilered on account of the injuries' gruesome nature]

including a horrible skull fracture, a leg torn away, and a tongue ripped out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Best book I've read in ages is The Martian by Andy Weir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A great big Sci-Fi book
The Margarets by Sherri S. Tepper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
If you find Alive and the Donner Party a bit too prosaic, and you want to make the entire party question why they left the comforts of home to die on a godforsaken hunk of rock, might I suggest a spot of light reading on the Dyatlov Pass Incident?

See, as horrific and confusing as the scene of the incident was, Occam's razor neatly clears things up, rendering the inexplicable prosaic itself:

IT WAS TOTALLY YETIS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
HiveGod wrote:
See, as horrific and confusing as the scene of the incident was, Occam's razor neatly clears things up, rendering the inexplicable prosaic itself:

IT WAS TOTALLY YETIS

What do you expect when you
try to shave a yeti?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm imagining some ancient, spotted paperback — something both deeply weird and entirely disposable — that you can fling, page by page, into the fire as you read it. I'm picturing some 1970s fantasy book with a cover both lovingly detailed and deeply misguided — wait, wasn't there one of you, nude, riding a dolphin? That's the one.

Either that or The Worm Ouroboros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
HiveGod wrote:
toku42 wrote:

IT WAS TOTALLY YETIS

How about Escape from Kathmandu by Kim Stanley Robinson? Small book, entertaining yarn, + YETI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:

Yet again HiveGod proves his manliness, showing off two pages of his chosen backpacking book.

DO YOU EVEN BACKPACK, BRO?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
mister lunch wrote:
Yet again HiveGod proves his manliness, showing off two pages of his chosen backpacking book.

There were three pages, but he dropped one....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might I suggest all thirteen volumes of The Journals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.