Popular Tags: [View All]
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Image provided by shnar

Just trying to work through these abilities in my head. Fett gets an automatic block and a surge cancel (can't remember name for this symbol)... got that.

If Fett rolls a surge, he gets to choose between a pierce or a weaken.

However, before he declares the attack he can choose one of 3 battle discipline abilities. If he chooses +2 accuracy and rolls a surge, he can only choose to spend the surge on pierce or weaken.

If he chooses to declare the surge will be used for the +2 recover, and doesn't roll a surge, he won't have access to the +2 accuracy.

If he rolls two or more surges, he can declare (before the attack) that one of them will be a battle discipline surge, and the others can be used for pierce of weaken.

Basically, battle discipline requires you to announce your intention should you happen to roll a surge, but it can't be altered?

Am I getting this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rastislav Bodi
Slovakia
flag msg tools
The 7 Stages of a Board Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it then ... yes, exactly as you wrote it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thank you. I can see players wanting to change their Battle Discipline choice by not announcing their intention to other players before rolling. Not sure if this is a big deal, or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoweringTheBar wrote:
OK, thank you. I can see players wanting to change their Battle Discipline choice by not announcing their intention to other players before rolling. Not sure if this is a big deal, or not?

That's not how it's written. When you declare an attack, you declare Battle Discipline AND the desired action at the same time, before the attack occurs - you'll notice you don't need a surge for +2 Acc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get it. But what if the Fett player doesn't audibly declare their intent before rolling the dice? They could change their mind after rolling based on the results and just tell everyone "oh, that was what I intended to do". Nobody would be the wiser unless the player has to share his intent with the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
LoweringTheBar wrote:
I get it. But what if the Fett player doesn't audibly declare their intent before rolling the dice? They could change their mind after rolling based on the results and just tell everyone "oh, that was what I intended to do". Nobody would be the wiser unless the player has to share his intent with the other players.

Then make them re-roll and declare what they want. Don't let the Overlord cheat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoweringTheBar wrote:

As the Rebel player, I would either force a re-roll, or they do not get to use the ability.. if the Imperial player is being an arse by doing this deliberatley, then I would take the second option

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the Imperial Player can be stupid sometimes, we've been playing that he picks a 'default' ability (pretty much always the +2 Damage). If he forgets to announce which Discipline to use, then the 'default' one is in effect.

In skirmish, we're not as forgiving. If he didn't choose, he doesn't get.

Technically, since there is no "may" in the wording, he doesn't have a choice and is supposed to always pick one before rolling. When I remember, I remind the player to pick. The problem with letting him pick after rolling and forcing him to reroll, he might purposely forget and roll, trying to get a free reroll (if it's a good roll, the who needs the surges?).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I wish the card said the player must "announce" their choice, or something to that effect. Otherwise, it kind of loses its gambling aspect. If you choose +2 accuracy and roll 3 or 4 surges, you should feel some regret... unless you really needed the accuracy just to hit the target.

We always "declare" a target in this game, but I think this ability should say the player must "declare" which discipline is to be used.

I'm probably overestimating the importance of this ability, but it has me curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But it does say that. It states, "When you declare an attack, choose one of the following." So when you 'announce' which figure you're attacking, at that same time you're supposed to state which of the 3 abilities you want to have applied to that attack. All this happens before the dice roll. If it was to happen after the dice roll, then it would state, "While you are attacking", not "When you declare an attack."

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I understand the timing! My question clearly states that the player declares before the dice roll. But, when I read "When you declare an attack, choose one of the following." I just don't come away thinking I must audibly announce to everyone what my choice will be just because "declare" was used in the sentence.

Declaring to me just means pointing at two figures before rolling dice.

I never thought of "Declaring" as some kind of code word for open table information from that point forward in the card text. Now I know.

Thanks for clarifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
LoweringTheBar wrote:
But, when I read "When you declare an attack, choose one of the following." I just don't come away thinking I must audibly announce to everyone what my choice will be just because "declare" was used in the sentence.

Declaring to me just means pointing at two figures before rolling dice.

I never thought of "Declaring" as some kind of code word for open table information from that point forward in the card text. Now I know.

Are you suggesting that you would publicly state "I am attacking Luke with Boba" and then secretly decide which ability you want to use... because then what's stopping you from just using whichever suits your needs after the dice are rolled? To "declare" is to state something clearly.

Technically you Declare the attack, and choose one of the abilities. "When you declare a attack, choose" - suggests to me that choosing the ability is part of the declaration. Otherwise, "After you declare an attack" would have been more appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, can you guys taste that? It is the delicious tears of your enemies as Boba Fett rolls right over them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andris Slisans
Latvia
Kekava
Kekavas novads
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about other ability Battle Presence.
Quote:
Battle Presence: After a hostile figure voluntarily exits a space adjacent to you, that figure suffers 1 Strain. Limit once per figure per round.

We all agreed, that this ability works, when a hero starts his movement from a space adjacent to Boba. How about just moving throught adjacent space? E.G. Hero uses 8 MP and third was out of a space adjacent to Boba?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
gt99 wrote:
I have a question about other ability Battle Presence.
Quote:
Battle Presence: After a hostile figure voluntarily exits a space adjacent to you, that figure suffers 1 Strain. Limit once per figure per round.

We all agreed, that this ability works, when a hero starts his movement from a space adjacent to Boba. How about just moving throught adjacent space? E.G. Hero uses 8 MP and third was out of a space adjacent to Boba?

For each space moved the figure exits the current spaces it occupies and enters the new spaces. So, if any space (other than the space where the figure ends movement) is adjacent to Boba Fett, the moving figure suffers that one strain. (But only one per figure per round.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andris Slisans
Latvia
Kekava
Kekavas novads
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.