Subject: Professore, Merchant and passing timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesper Jørgensen
Denmark
Glostrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, two friends and I played two epic sessions of Tuscany where a few questions arose.

The issues with the Traveler and the Soldato have been found in the forum, but I have not been able to determine the correct ruling for the following questions. Hope someone can clarify.

1. Professore - I can retrieve 1 regular worker (my) from the same season when I have just placed the Professore. How does the White-bordered actions count?
1.A I ruled that they were not of the same background colour and therefore not ellible to be returned. E.g. If I placed a Professore on summer and had a regular worker on the Yoke, the worker on the Yoke could not be retrieved.
1.B Furthermore, I also ruled that 2 separate White-bordered action spaces like take 1 Lira/structure card and Yoke are not the same season.

2. Merchant - If all other players have passed in a season when I place a Merchant, I get a extra card of my choice. How is the timing on passing?
2.A I ruled that Passing is a separate action that can't be done after placing a worker, so if I place my last worker in the winter I still have to have a turn more to say pass.
2.B As a follow-up to this I have to ask, if I for example placed my last worker in the summer, I assume that when I then pass according to 2.A I pass for the entire Year. Is that correct?

2.A and 2.B seems to be at odds with each other, but only if there is a combination of structures, special workers or expansion that allows a player to do action X when some other player perform action Y.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professore states: "When you place the Professore, you may retrieve 1 of your regular workers from an action space on the board in the current season. That worker is available to be placed again this year."

The only white-bordered action space on the board is the "Gain $1" action. That's a universal action space, meaning it applies to every season, so you could use a Professore to retrieve a regular worker from it. The Yoke is not on the game board, though, and thus workers on the Yoke do not apply to the Professore.

Merchant: "If you place the Merchant on the board after all opponents have passed to the next season, after you take the action, you may draw 1 of any card."

You are correct that you must use your turn to pass. You can see who has passed by those who have used their turn to move their rooster forward to the next season on the wake-up track.

"if I for example placed my last worker in the summer, I assume that when I then pass according to 2.A I pass for the entire Year. Is that correct?"

--No, you would still have to use your turn each season to pass. That's in the core Viticulture rules: You either use your turn to (a) place a worker or (b) pass to the next season. After you've passed, you can't take any other turns (including passing) until all other players have also passed and the next season has begun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Jørgensen
Denmark
Glostrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the quick reply Jamey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group played a game yesterday with the Merchant as one of the special workers available (the other was the Oracle). The Merchant special worker seemed to be very situational and a weak bonus for his ability. It was very hard to be able to play the Merchant so as to activate his specaial ability since you had to wait for everyone to pass in the season, have enough workers to wait around, and there being a worker placement spot avaialble to place him.

If one were to rate the specaial workers on their worth in speacial abilities, We would rate the Merchant as the lowest on the scale. Sorry Mr Merchant.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.