Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Pressler
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really wanted to like this game but I feel like there are some massive problems with gameplay which will prevent me from returning this to my table. This review is based entirely on the solo play rules.

First and most importantly, it is way too easy to win as the Lassadar Player. I played four test games, and each time I was able to crowd my heavy hitters around Nem's Dock and kill the baron as soon as he appeared.

If the Baron's actions are hierarchical, it seems as though he would keep deploying units at the dock until he had no more units, then he would choose to move. Am I missing something?

The combat system is confounding. Essentially every combat action results in about a ~30% chance of missing, or adding 1 to 5 attack strength. The highest defense value on Baron units is 3. If I use an undamaged Arm unit (with base attack strength 4), outside of missing, I am guaranteed to combat step anything that I choose to attack.

The combat system creates several anti-thematic results. First of all, the Baron unit (and therefore player) is extremely vulnerable, and even the weakest LS unit has a 30% chance of combat stepping a Baron/Trull. The only time (outside of rare wheel plays) the -1 combat result is used is when a damaged Hand/Unit gets a unlucky draw against an undamaged Baron/Trull or an Arm/Elder, and a -2 is only used with a Baron Unit gets unlucky when attacking an Elder. The Baron/Trull seems like something I should really be afraid of as LS, but can pretty easily be dispatched with my puniest units. Each player has sometimes a little risk, but usually zero risk when initiating combat.

I appreciate Todd's passion and worldbuilding and I really love the Shadows Upon Lassadar setting, so I was looking forward to printing this one off, but I've got to say that I was disappointed by glaring flaws in the rules. I really think this game was a missed opportunity, but could be remedied by a revision of its rules, if only to tweak the attack/defense values.

3.75/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for taking time to offer me your comments. I am terribly busy with work at the moment but as soon as i have a small gap of time to think clearly i will address the issues you bring up.

wanted to let you know that i did read your post here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.