GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,031 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Loony Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Loony Quest Level Maker & Rayman Fan-Made World - Now with 2nd World rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent Pascaud
France
Saint Aunes
Herault
flag msg tools
My friends call me "Sly" during games. I can't propose alliances anymore.
badge
My wife and I are offering painting commission services for your miniatures !
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks !

Since discovering Loony Quest, I was toying with the idea to create a Rayman-themed level.

I ended up with a full world and made a Photoshop template allowing you to create your own levels during the process.

The template is simple enough to understand and contains all your basic needs to recreate the various elements needed for a Loony Quest level (what type of quest, of obstacles, how many points does it earn you, the “core visuals” of the game like starting points, bonus & malus, etc…) but you’ll still have to find and add your own elements to create the levels, such as blocks and villains !

The template has a few Rayman elements in it, but nothing stops you from making a Mario World or whatever you like.

This template is shared with the authorization of Libellud, but of course is restricted to personnal use !

Please do not update the template vith other visuals from Loony Quest. What we can share is limited for very understandable reasons =)

Here are the levels I created :

You can download the Photoshop template to make your own levels, and the Rayman World, here :
http://kaboum.fr/wondercatpainting/2015/08/loony-quest-level... (you can also see the Special Stages here, that consist of 3 panels each)

I hope it will make it easier for others to create fan-content =)
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Saluga
United States
Ramsey
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Loony Quest Level Maker & Rayman Fan-Made World
Wow, I thought my girlfriend would enjoy this game already. This would almost solidify it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing work man, amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - extremely amazing work there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krisztina Nagy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One word: EPIC!!! Thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Pascaud
France
Saint Aunes
Herault
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks people ! =)
Continuing (and finishing for now anyway) what I started, I went for an Underwater World for World 2.

It's downloadable with the first world here : http://kaboum.fr/wondercatpainting/2015/08/loony-quest-level...
  • [+] Dice rolls
seve seve
msg tools
Thanks very much. Great!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Víctor Ochoa
Spain
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great Great Great Work!

My nephews are going to love this! (and me too, why lie?!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is amazing and exactly what I love about BGG. Have some gg. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How exactly do the bonus stages work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Pascaud
France
Saint Aunes
Herault
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There should be a little panel with the extra rules needed in the download.

Anyway, the bones stages are 3 panels each (one stage is vertical, the other horizontal) that you must assemble to create the entire level.

Then you have 2 hourglasses to try to go as far as possible in the stage without touching ANY obstacle. Obstacle should be obvious (they are not indicated but basically everything that is not the background is an obstacle).

For each panel you successfully cross, you win the number of XP points as indicated on the panel.

A panel is considered successful if you touched NO obstacle AND reached the opposite side from where you started.

There's one stage more difficult than the other (the vertical one is tougher) but it also allows for more XP points... if you succeed.

Those are both difficult challenges but I thought the Special Stages from the base game were also. It's hard to find the pixies and harder to touch them without losing points, and yet it's extremely easy to score zero in the special stages of the base game !

With those alternate special stages, I think it could be easier to score low points (focusing on succeeding a single panel) and very hard to score the whole level, which is intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Loony Quest Level Maker & Rayman Fan-Made World - Now with 2nd Worl
This is super awesome! I just discovered, and ordered, Loony Quest yesterday. These levels look really great, and I think it's very cool that you even invented a whole new type of challenge, the very appropriate slicing! More, FREE content for my new game, thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The worlds in the official game are supposed to get harder as you play through them... First world easy, last world hard... Any idea where to place your worlds on that scale, compared to the other worlds in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Pascaud
France
Saint Aunes
Herault
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question !

I would say somewhere after World 5. They're not super-easy that's for sure.

We rarely played the last 2 worlds (because we often play it with at least one new person so we start back from the beginning).

We found we scored less than usual with the Rayman World than on the 5 first official levels (without being ridiculously low). But I wouldn't compare them to the last 2 worlds ; not enough experience with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleš Matas
Czech Republic
Pilsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Rayman and love Loony Quest. Therefore thanks a lot for your marvelous creations ;]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dealing trap
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks!

I just finished printing those on photo paper on an inkjet printer, the result looks fantastic.

I am really looking forward the first use in game of those levels.

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Pascaud
France
Saint Aunes
Herault
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool =) Please let us know how it plays for you, I only play tested those with my own group so I'd be curious to hear about it !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dealing trap
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I playtested world 1 yesterday evening with 4 persons, including 2 persons who were playing loony quest for the first time.

The scores averaged between 4 and 6 points per player per level, and was quite homogeneous between players.

To me, the level of difficulty seemed to be equivalent to the one of official world 3 or world 4. (but i am notoriously bad at estimating level of difficulties).

We had a blast playing those, and one of the new players won, so i guess these levels are accessible, and/or that i am really bad at drawing.

The Rayman theme is really highlighted by the additional mechanics.

One single question was not answered by the additional rule sheet:

When Slicing, if a slice mark is slicing 2 objects, can this single slice mark score both objects?

As the additional rules did not detail that, we house-ruled that a single slice mark could score only one object as going the other way would have make the world 1 boss a bit too easy by slicing all the chilis with a single slice mark.

Many thanks again, this is a great expansion, and i especially recommend to print those on glossy photo paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Pascaud
France
Saint Aunes
Herault
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a thousand times for your difficulty review !

That's great =)

Yeah, you're right that's a lacking detail ! And you handled it the right way I think. One slice per object. That's how I was playing it but I realize now it wasn't necessarily obvious.

By the way, is it stated somewhere in the rulebook that, let's say, for circling things, you need to circle them independently or can you do a single circle for several targets ? I don't quite recall !

Also one more question : did you get any trouble printing those the right size ? I had one single person writing me saying when printing the levels were too big. I personally had the correct size while printing at 100%. How about you ?

Thanks again =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dealing trap
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not have any printing issue, I used Gimp print functions on a Linux machine to print on a HP Photosmart using A4 glossy photo paper.

I did not have any problem with the image sizes of the levels, but Gimp allow to check the image size in preview print before sending anything to the printer.

I noticed quite often some people printing images by importing them inside word processor documents and then printing them, and this approach has a high risk of messing with the dimensions.

The only modification i did was doubling the french rules size as the original size was too small for my liking.

Hope this helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Pascaud
France
Saint Aunes
Herault
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It certainly did
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also printed the sheets with gimp under windows 7 with a canon printer. Size seems to be 100% correct.
Doesn't work with the standard windows viewer however as it always seems to enforce resizing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Funker
Germany
Niedernhall
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much, this is very awesome work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
And 28 is coming soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinsssounet wrote:

Also one more question : did you get any trouble printing those the right size ? I had one single person writing me saying when printing the levels were too big. I personally had the correct size while printing at 100%. How about you ?

Thanks again =)

The issue with printing with the correct size is due to the original document size being in A4 size when the standard size in North America is "Letter" which is a silly as the imperial system.

Many printers will have options to set the original document size (set to A4) and use a different size for output (Letter). However depending on the application used, printer, printer driver (etc) it may not work.

In my case I created a new PDF document in a free PDF viewer without any margins, pics were in original A4 size and using the ruler option I could see that they showed as 21cm per side when the required size is 17cm per side. I resized it using a 17/21 ratio (0.81) to get the perfect size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.