Strategy Games» Forums » General

Subject: Name Conflicts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Kane
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
How concerned should I be about potential name conflicts? My game is called "The Nexus Game" (have had the domain name for years). I've noticed there is a game on the market called "Nexus Ops". The two games are not even remotely similar.

How much of an issue is this? Getting an entirely new domain and hosting (not to mention re-branding) is certainly *not* something I'd like to do.

Thank in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't sound like a big issue, lot of games have very similar names or share common words.

There are even several different games with exactly the same name: several Dogfights and 2 different War of the Rings are two that spring to mind, but there are others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kane
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Great, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In general titles are free game (though experts will let you know if there are exceptions) . On the other hand it is generally good to differentiate your game from well known games (unless you are hoping for accidental sales to people who thought they were buying the other game). Obscure games that have your title are no problem.

"Nexus ops" is a well known game. Your title "the nexus game" may give the impression of being an expansion of "nexus ops" or a copy cat rip off. Another thing is that it can give the impression of laziness at not finding a more original title.

On the other hand if your game really shines, then the word "nexus" will become associated with your game rather than with "nexus ops".

Personally I would look a little longer for a new name. If you don't find one then you can go back to "the nexus game". Of course if you have had "the nexus game" as a working title for a long time then no other name will seem good to you. If you get the game published then the publisher might suggest a good alternate game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another approach is to expand the title, this would help differentiate it.

examples:
A nexus of minds
A nexus of ideas
Galactic nexus
Into the nexus
etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick search of the database shows there are 9 games with the word nexus in the title, 4 of these are simply called "nexus".
Nexus Ops
Nexus
Nexus Taxi
Ka-Nexus
Nexus
Master Nexus
Deadzone: Nexus Psi – Campaign Book
Nexus
Visavis (also known as nexus)
I'm sure another one won't present a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kane
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thank you. I appreciate both of these perspectives. At this point, I think I'm leaning toward finding something more unique. Not an easy decision, but it may be my best option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
Another approach is to expand the title, this would help differentiate it.

examples:
A nexus of minds
A nexus of ideas
Galactic nexus
Into the nexus
etc.

Go down this route then using a slightly longer name. If you don't use Nexus as the first word of the title it will avoid most of the confusion.

I would also avoid using "game" in the title.

Nexus Ops is indeed the dominant game in the list of Nexus games and so the one you will most wish to avoid confusion with, especially if your game is SciFi themed.

I suppose you know that not only are there the nine title found above but if you type The Nexus Game into google you get a whole bunch of links to a PC game of the same name, a gaming shop and a gaming convention in Milwaukee.

Nexus seems to be a bit of meme - I am surprised you have managed to obtain and retain the domain name!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kane
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Well, I purchased the domain name many years ago

At any rate, I've decided to change the name to NXS, and just pronounce it "nexus".

Thank you for all of the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls