Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok,

I'm a HUGE fan of Marvel Legendary. I know... alot of people are telling me to go 'Encounters', that it's a better game, but I just really enjoy Marvel Legendary.

Only thing is, that's about the only deckbuilder I like. I dig the various difficulty levels, the random villian encounters, the random heroes entering the HQ, and I really enjoy the theme.

Now, I also love fantasy theme. And I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to love Thunderstone...

Here's the problem though. I look up Thunderstone and there are TONS of versions and expansions. And most of them look to be way OVER priced. Is it OOP or maybe just between print runs?

Can someone help break this down for me?

Is this something I'm going to like based on what I said above. What do I need. What's the difference between Thunderstone and Thunderstone: Advance and whats with all the versions and expansions?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are basically two lines; Thunderstone "Classic" and Thunderstone Advance.

Thunderstone came out shortly after Dominion; it was really the first major competitor for deck building games, and its age shows. On top of that, AEG was pretty awful at keeping the cards' wording consistent, and a lot of the rules were kind of loose.

Advance basically revamped the game with updated, cleaned up rules and new card frames with a better, more clear design.

TL;DR: If you're just getting into Thunderstone, go with one of Advance sets.

That said, I'd recommend against it. As you say, most of it is out of print and hard/expensive to acquire. AEG's basically dropped support of the game (all those Love Letter re-themes ain't gonna print themselves), although they haven't come out and said they have. Their support of Thunderstone has been abysmal for a long time. The last few sets they released were put out quietly with no fanfare or notice.

If you want to pick up a new deck building game, I'd recommend Ascension. There are a lot of sets out there at the moment and it's quite fun, and all the sets are kept in print so if you really like it you won't have a problem getting more.

You could also go with Dominion. It's not my cup of tea, but it's undeniably a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's either already, or soon going OOP, so if you want to get into it, do it soon (like now). You can still find deals if you look around and get lucky, I snagged Towers of Ruin + Caverns of Bane + Root of Corruption (and the Avatars mini-exp) for under €70 just earlier this year. I should think Worlds Collide (one of the three Advance base sets) + Into the Abyss should be still fairly easy to find, Tor, CoB and RoC are the tougher ones to come by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I so don't understand AEG at times. Somehow L5R, which I love, sticks around for 20+ years and yet Thunderstone is being put to the side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this and all the answers, guys.

I've actually been considering Ascension for awhile. And it does have the more random aspect I like. The static buy piles kinda bore me after a very very short time. But I think you're right. Ascension seems the way to go. Well that and tons of Legendary expansions

Asmor wrote:

Thunderstone came out shortly after Dominion; it was really the first major competitor for deck building games, and its age shows. On top of that, AEG was pretty awful at keeping the cards' wording consistent, and a lot of the rules were kind of loose.

Advance basically revamped the game with updated, cleaned up rules and new card frames with a better, more clear design.

That said, I'd recommend against it. As you say, most of it is out of print and hard/expensive to acquire. AEG's basically dropped support of the game (all those Love Letter re-themes ain't gonna print themselves), although they haven't come out and said they have. Their support of Thunderstone has been abysmal for a long time. The last few sets they released were put out quietly with no fanfare or notice.

If you want to pick up a new deck building game, I'd recommend Ascension. There are a lot of sets out there at the moment and it's quite fun, and all the sets are kept in print so if you really like it you won't have a problem getting more.

You could also go with Dominion. It's not my cup of tea, but it's undeniably a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
phaelen2003 wrote:
Thank you for this and all the answers, guys.

I've actually been considering Ascension for awhile. And it does have the more random aspect I like. The static buy piles kinda bore me after a very very short time. But I think you're right. Ascension seems the way to go. Well that and tons of Legendary expansions

Asmor wrote:

It doesn't have the same level of expansions, but you could/should look into Arctic Scavengers as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone Advance (the 'new' version of Thunderstone) is completely out of print.

If you aren't the kind of person who needs to get the expansions, you can probably find Thunderstone Advance: Numenera at a retail price as opposed to scarcity pricing, and it will be a good experience out-of-box. It is in theory compatible with the other base games and expansions, but the theme is different so I don't know that I'd want to mix them together.

If you really have your heart set on Thunderstone you might want to try Numenera first and then decide if you love it enough to pay inflated prices for Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin or Thunderstone Advance: Worlds Collide (the two base set options) and any expansions.

Used might be a possibility too. But prices are just going to keep going up used or new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls