Hide
8 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Exodus Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: No cylon players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lukas Pihl
msg tools
When you're playing with Exodus rules, in 3-man & 4-man games, is it then possible that NO ONE will ever be a cylon?

In a 3-man game the loyalty deck has 6 "Not a Cylon" cards and 1 "Cylon".

Each player draws 1 loyalty card at the start of the game, and 1 more at the sleeper agent phase for a total of 6 drawn loyalty cards, which could ALL be "Not a cylon", leaving the only "cylon" card in the deck.

I thought the point was that there would always be at least 1 cylon player at some point in every game?

I must be misunderstanding something right?

Please bear with me im totally new

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is indeed possible to have no cylons in those configurations. It does not happen often, and with Personal Goals the leftover card has a chance to come into play (50% probability each time a personal goal is finished before distance 6 or when a character gets executed).

It really does not happen often, and sometimes the paranoia and the badly behaving crisis deck (or Cylon Leader) still causes humans to lose.

Some groups play with a house-rule to reduce the resources at the end of the game if the leftover loyalty card is a cylon card. We don't, let the humans have their wins every once in a while.

Edit2: The leftover card discourages willingly accepting executions of characters. If that is not an issue for you, and you don't play with Personal Goals, you can do without the extra loyalty card in the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The paranoia usually offsets the lack of a Cylon. Plus the game does a pretty good job of punching you in the face all on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Pihl
msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply!

We're probably just gonna stick to the rules. As pointed out it looks like the game is hard enough for the humans as is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if this really bothers you, then consider adding another jump cycle, or lowering all resources by 1 + all centurions move up 1 + damage Galactica twice when you make your final jump and discover that the leftover Loyalty card was the game's only Cylon card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
The purpose of using the extra You Are Not a Cylon card is to add some mystery to when the Cylons come into play. With the rule you can have Cylons enter play when a Personal Goal is completed or when someone is executed in addition to at the start or at the sleeper phase. If you're not playing with Personal Goals or Final Five then you could also opt to play by Pegasus rules instead and not include the extra Not a Cylon card. That way you'll guarantee you'll have a Cylon at those counts. The downside of course is that you can guarantee to find a player's loyalty just by getting them executed if you play by Pegasus rules.
Personally if I was playing at three or four I would not use the Exodus rules. At five or higher I would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Yap
Philippines
Pasig City
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This should be in the Exodus forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Battlestar Galactica to Battlestar Galactica: Exodus Expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.