Ryan Nunes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just get right into it.

1) First, in regards to completing the objective in Life and Death of killing both leaders, do you have to kill the leaders AND their followers, or just the leaders? If it's the latter, are you ejected from the space at the end of the combat in which you defeated the faction leader?

2) Pg. 5 says "You may choose other enemies to be targeted with the same attack as you target the faction leader with..." Isn't this just the normal grouping rules? OR is it the case that say one attack 4 could both reduce a leaders level AND kill an enemy token with an armor of 4?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hunt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
1) You need to kill the leaders and their followers to "liberate" the space.

2)normal grouping rules apply here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makoto Nanaya
msg tools
Eldritch Wonder wrote:
1) You need to kill the leaders and their followers to "liberate" the space.

2)normal grouping rules apply here.


I'm not sure this is correct. The rulebook says:

Scenario End
When both faction leaders are defeated you have one last turn (the Dummy player does not).

Scoring
If you succeed in defeating both avatars, you are victorious. If not, you have failed.

Can anyone please clarify? The way I read the rulebook, in Life and Death you only have to defeat the avatar in the Necropolis and the avatar in the Hidden Valley. You do not have to also defeat the other enemies. Is this right?

Two somewhat related questions: are the Necropolis and the Hidden Valley considered fortified sites? I'm assuming not, but I'd like to be sure.

Finally, if you do not succeed in your attack on the Necropolis or the Hidden Valley, then you must retreat to a safe space (and if not, forced withdrawal rules apply). Is this right?

Thank you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't mention that these are fortified so when I played I didn't treat them as such. The tokens appear to be there to "replace" the graphic on the tile itself and thereby replacing the fortified city space entirely.

I treated it like an ancient ruin site.

Also yes I think with the RAW you can skip the glades but by defeating the enemies there, you gain useful one time abilities to help you in the coming fights.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hunt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Makoto_Nanaya wrote:
Eldritch Wonder wrote:
1) You need to kill the leaders and their followers to "liberate" the space.

2)normal grouping rules apply here.


I'm not sure this is correct. The rulebook says:

Scenario End
When both faction leaders are defeated you have one last turn (the Dummy player does not).

Scoring
If you succeed in defeating both avatars, you are victorious. If not, you have failed.

Can anyone please clarify? The way I read the rulebook, in Life and Death you only have to defeat the avatar in the Necropolis and the avatar in the Hidden Valley. You do not have to also defeat the other enemies. Is this right?

Two somewhat related questions: are the Necropolis and the Hidden Valley considered fortified sites? I'm assuming not, but I'd like to be sure.

Finally, if you do not succeed in your attack on the Necropolis or the Hidden Valley, then you must retreat to a safe space (and if not, forced withdrawal rules apply). Is this right?

Thank you.


You have to defeat the followers along with the Avatar. Look at it this way the follows are listed on the Avatars token and not the Hidden Valley or Necropolis site themselves. Only defeating the Avatars would be way to easy.

The Hidden Valley and Necropolis are not fortified.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules seem clear, you only have to defeat the leaders. Maybe there is a mistake in the rulebook, but, as written, it is clear.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
syzygia wrote:
Rules seem clear, you only have to defeat the leaders. Maybe there is a mistake in the rulebook, but, as written, it is clear.


Well, the rulebook also says in the general section on cooperative assault on a leader that if you defeat the leader the character who initiated the cooperative assault moves into the space, which clearly cannot happen if there are enemies left.

I'm pretty sure it was a mistake in the rulebook, assuming that the enemies would always be defeated before the leader.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
Well, the rulebook also says in the general section on cooperative assault on a leader that if you defeat the leader the character who initiated the cooperative assault moves into the space, which clearly cannot happen if there are enemies left.

I'm pretty sure it was a mistake in the rulebook, assuming that the enemies would always be defeated before the leader.
With the rules as written, it seems that other enemies "disappear" after you kill the leader. It may be a mistake in the rulebook. But it also seems odd that, in comp., you have to kill all the tokens (with no reward) to trigger the end-of-game. Once the leader is gone, I assume everybody would go to somewhere else rather than trying to kill the remaining tokens.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
syzygia wrote:
With the rules as written, it seems that other enemies "disappear" after you kill the leader. It may be a mistake in the rulebook. But it also seems odd that, in comp., you have to kill all the tokens (with no reward) to trigger the end-of-game. Once the leader is gone, I assume everybody would go to somewhere else rather than trying to kill the remaining tokens.


Honestly, I think a reading of the RAW implies that there was an omission, because if it explicitly meant for the remaining enemies to disappear it would have said something about returning them to their discard piles. It seems more obvious that there was a missed assumption than that the enemies should vanish.

Though with RAW you can still end the scenario properly: the remaining enemies are just there and there's no reason to think that if there are more than one of them you couldn't cooperatively assault them: even if you couldn't, there's not "no reward" for them as you'd still get the fame for killing them if you attacked them all solo and killed some of them. You only have one turn so "going somewhere else" might very likely not be an option.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
Though with RAW you can still end the scenario properly: the remaining enemies are just there and there's no reason to think that if there are more than one of them you couldn't cooperatively assault them: even if you couldn't, there's not "no reward" for them as you'd still get the fame for killing them if you attacked them all solo and killed some of them. You only have one turn so "going somewhere else" might very likely not be an option.
Well, I assumed that if in solo/coop, the scenario doesn't end until you kill the leaders and all their followers, in competitive it will work in the same way. The written end-of-game conditions are the same.

That was my point: that maybe in solo or cooperative, it makes more sense that you have to kill all the tokens. In competitive, it seems that it makes more sense the rules as written. So I don't know where it is the mistake. [Note that I haven't played any scenario in any way, so my impressions may be totally wrong].

I do agree that, whatever the rule is, it could have been written in a clearer way. But, again, without having played, I don't think it's obvious that they meant whatever if you think in all the modalities.

It'd be nice if some playtester or developer could clarify the question.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hunt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
The rule book is indeed unclear about this fact but after having played all of the new scenarios, the game is already pretty easy with my killing all of the tokens. Only having to go in and kill the Avatars and then leave makes any sense of challenge just vanish.

I could of course be wrong about this. I just feel that these scenarios are already a little easier than the ones that came before.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this scenario last night and I read the rules as saying that you only have to kill the faction leaders, not any of the monster tokens that come with it. The leaders are basically glorified monster tokens themselves.

I also have a related question, on a cooperative assault, players resolve their combats individually and in order starting from the first player. The rules state that if a faction leader has a player's shield token on lvl 1 (i.e. will be removed after all combat has resolved) then it does not attack. Does this mean that if a player, during a co-op assault, does enough damage to the faction leader to defeat it, then any other players resolving combat afterwards will not be attacked by the leader?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
Hero_guy wrote:
The rules state that if a faction leader has a player's shield token on lvl 1 (i.e. will be removed after all combat has resolved) then it does not attack. Does this mean that if a player, during a co-op assault, does enough damage to the faction leader to defeat it, then any other players resolving combat afterwards will not be attacked by the leader?


That's my understanding, yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Latshaw
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's pretty clear to me that you do not need to kill the other enemy tokens to win the scenario if you can kill the faction leader. The leader can be targeted specifically, just like any other enemy. The wording in the rules and scenario description is fairly straightforward IMO.

It is not like Volkare where he is protected by his army.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Latshaw
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Eldritch Wonder wrote:
The rule book is indeed unclear about this fact but after having played all of the new scenarios, the game is already pretty easy with my killing all of the tokens. Only having to go in and kill the Avatars and then leave makes any sense of challenge just vanish.

I could of course be wrong about this. I just feel that these scenarios are already a little easier than the ones that came before.


Interesting...I typically play solo and I have found that the Tezla scenarios are much more difficult, particularly with the pursuit and ambush abilities of the rampaging enemies. I have had plenty a hard time just finishing the scenario requirements and killing the faction leader before time runs out.

Of course I am a relatively new player to the game so I may not have the experience.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.