Subject: Fantasy 4X - Heroes of Might and Magic-like rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little while ago, my brother, GF and I played Eclipse. My brother really liked it, and mentioned how it reminded him of how we used to spend days playing Heroes of Might and Magic when we were kids.
So now I'm looking for a board game that recreates some of that vibe. Play time can be pretty long, I don't mind if I need to plan a full day for it. Let's say eight hours or so tops. No problem if it's shorter, of course, as long as it has time to develop. One issue we felt with Eclipse was that it felt like it was over just when we were getting started. It was only our first play, though, so next time we'll surely get into the whole fighting business earlier, but still...

Runewars is the only game I've found so far that appears to fit the bill somewhat, but I'm hoping there might be more to choose from.
Or is Runewars exactly what I need and should I stop looking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Might & Magic Heroes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Game Surplus in Pennsylvania still has copies of Might & Magic Heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
GSReis wrote:

I would highly recommend researching this one first. I played it and it was highly disappointing. The first two thirds of the game doesn't involve any interesting decisions: there is almost always only one thing to build (that makes any sense) and one stack of monsters to attack (that doesn't result in suicide). I didn't like it at all.

You could wait a bit and check out WarQuest when it comes out. It seems to be a very simple, wander-around-and-conquer-stuff type wargame with lots of cool minis. Their KS was successful (barely), so maybe also wait until there are some reviews posted before you dive in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what type of 4X game you are after. I actually prefer Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game to Runewars in execution and game play. It has a rather large element of heroes and questing in it, so that is a little different than skirmishes, but the combat system is probably closer to Eclipse in some ways. Neither of those have the development of technology (or magic) the way Eclipse does...though CoN does have items your heroes can collect to add to your armies and stuff.

Another game, much darker in feel, and definitely not for everyone is Chaos in the Old World in which you literally play an evil deity (or more like Chaotic) aiming to control the world.

Another civilization type building game which is FAR more Euro than the dice throwing games above is Terra Mystica which is perhaps the most civilization type building game of all the ones I've listed thus far.

Finally one that you might want to check out that could be more towards the type of game you are looking for is Hyperborea which is a fantasy civilization building game.

Added: Ah, I almost forgot, while Hyperborea probably fulfills the idea the best, another game that you might want to check out is Cyclades which is one of my favorites. It's not as high fantasy as the others, being more about mythic Greece, but it's fantasy enough and cool enough for a mention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
Not really 4x but Mage Knight Board Game feels like HOMM to me. Take cities, recruit units, learn spells and abilities. Best game I own. It is puzzley so if that's not your thing ignore this suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious Gamer
United States
Apple Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars pretty much fits the bill perfectly, especially with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Tiny Epic Kingdoms: Heroes' Call is an expansion to Tiny Epic Kingdoms which just recently was on KS, it adds leaders who progress until retiring. It is a mini 4X fantasy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pup Selchen
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're about to go epic, go check out Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) - it might just fit your bill, as Eclipse has been described as TI in short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:

That seems to have a pretty bad reputation, even though it does seem to tick all of the boxes

mattprice wrote:
GSReis wrote:

You could wait a bit and check out WarQuest when it comes out. It seems to be a very simple, wander-around-and-conquer-stuff type wargame with lots of cool minis. Their KS was successful (barely), so maybe also wait until there are some reviews posted before you dive in.

Looks promising. Though with this little info available, I'd rather pick up something sometime soon and perhaps keep this in mind for the future.

GreyLord wrote:
It depends on what type of 4X game you are after. I actually prefer Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game to Runewars in execution and game play. It has a rather large element of heroes and questing in it, so that is a little different than skirmishes, but the combat system is probably closer to Eclipse in some ways. Neither of those have the development of technology (or magic) the way Eclipse does...though CoN does have items your heroes can collect to add to your armies and stuff.

Another game, much darker in feel, and definitely not for everyone is Chaos in the Old World in which you literally play an evil deity (or more like Chaotic) aiming to control the world.

Another civilization type building game which is FAR more Euro than the dice throwing games above is Terra Mystica which is perhaps the most civilization type building game of all the ones I've listed thus far.

Finally one that you might want to check out that could be more towards the type of game you are looking for is Hyperborea which is a fantasy civilization building game.

Added: Ah, I almost forgot, while Hyperborea probably fulfills the idea the best, another game that you might want to check out is Cyclades which is one of my favorites. It's not as high fantasy as the others, being more about mythic Greece, but it's fantasy enough and cool enough for a mention.

CitOW and TM are both on my wishlist, but don't seem to really scratch the 4X-itch. I'll check Hyperborea, Conquest of Nerath and Cyclades out, I'm not familiar with them, thanks

NinjaGigolo wrote:
Not really 4x but Mage Knight Board Game feels like HOMM to me. Take cities, recruit units, learn spells and abilities. Best game I own. It is puzzley so if that's not your thing ignore this suggestion.

Never really considered this, even though I've been interested in it. I'll check it out some more, thanks!

gexthegecko wrote:
Runewars pretty much fits the bill perfectly, especially with the expansion.

Thanks! I'll see if I can find a copy to play somewhere, as it does seem a bit expensive for a blind buy.

zanwot wrote:
Tiny Epic Kingdoms: Heroes' Call is an expansion to Tiny Epic Kingdoms which just recently was on KS, it adds leaders who progress until retiring. It is a mini 4X fantasy game.

Already own TEK and backed the expansion. I really like this game, but it doesn't really give me the 4X feel, even though it has all the elements. It just seems to lack the grand scale I'm looking for with this. (Even though that is usually a good thing, as it's pretty hard to find people who will commit 4+ hours to playing a game.)

Pupselchen wrote:
If you're about to go epic, go check out Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) - it might just fit your bill, as Eclipse has been described as TI in short.

It's on my 'to check out' list, even though I consider my 'space 4X' itch well-scratched for now, as I'm far from burned out on Eclipse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:
Not really 4x but Mage Knight Board Game feels like HOMM to me.
+1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sadly the game you are looking for does not really exist. The closest good game you are going to find is indeed Mage Knight. I'd love to see someone take eclipse and perhaps some elements from TI3 and build it back up in a fantasy type setting.

I would want to see it less structured as a slugfest between players but more towards the economic and political side along with some interesting neutral creeps to recruit and or level heroes/armies off of. The game would have to be streamlined enough that it wouldn't last longer than say 4 hours though as my one and only game of TI3 lasted way too long.

Maybe take a look at clash of cultures to see what you think of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked this question as well at one point and was pointed in the direction of Hyperborea. I haven't played it yet, but certainly will soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.