Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, after watching the astonishing Lawrence of Arabia and reading 7 Pillars of Wisdom I'd like to know more about that area of the war.

Can anyone recommend any good books, maps, boardgames, resources? The more juicy and readable the better, something too dry would just put me to sleep.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
1/114th Air Assault
badge
Huey's Forward
mbmbmbmbmb
In another forum, a user posted "The First World War in Africa" by Hew Strachan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As preliminary reading I would recommend Liddell Hart's excellent seven page analysis of the war in the Middle East found on pages 180-186 of Strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks All

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone else was following this I picked up those books but a word of warning "The First World War in Africa" by Hew Strachan is purely about sub-Saharan Africa.

Still an interesting read (thankfully) but nothing to do with what I was after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"A Truth thats told with bad intent Beats all the Lies you can invent It is right it should be so Man was made for Joy & Woe And when this we rightly know Thro the World we safely go Joy & Woe are woven fine A Clothing for the soul divine ."
mbmb
One amazing story from Africa in WWI is how German Colonel von Lettow Vorbeck kept scads of Brit troops at bey using cleverness and a small army made up primarily of native askaris who became terrific soldiers that were VERY loyal to Lettow-Vorbeck.

I don't think this is what the OP is requesting info for, but if you do not know this story from the time/region, it is very entertaining and certainly worth learning. Try getting this book from your library network as it is not on kindle.

Here is a wiki article to whet your appetite on the subject:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_von_Lettow-Vorbeck

A battle from this theatre is the subject of the game The Battle of Tanga 1914 which was released from Legion Wargames just a couple of months ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls