Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just slightly obscure, but: does a player have to spend for a Directed Offensive that can't possibly happen because the front is barred from advancing?

This came up in the context of a Soviet Directed Offensive played in the far east as a result of the last Conference Card, when the Soviets Declare War on Japan issue hadn't been successfully resolved, so that front could not advance (in part because the UK figured out that because they were significantly ahead on points, if we lost the war, they would win comfortably, while if we won the war, the 2nd place US would win instead).

It seems like there is no exception for "blocked" fronts, and the Soviets would just have to throw away the money (I think this is the only place where this can really happen; in other cases you would just build fleets instead). But I wonder if that's the intent, or if I missed something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To my understanding (and I asked a question similar to this), you are right, Chris. The support is used and wasted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If a front is blocked because no 2nd front or no Soviet DOW, then anything spent there is wasted. Yes, you can force someone into allocating their troops/ resources where they are not actually allowed to go. Think of these as security and or reserve forces.

Historically, the Soviets had 27-40 divisions in the Siberian reserves that were pulled in, very reluctantly, from the East to deal with the Operation Typhoon. Having them in the Far Easter Front instead, even without hostilities against Japan taking place, would be a case of a Directed Offensive placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Gonzalez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yes. You won the Issue, you pay the cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.