GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,267 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

The Resistance» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: PBF 206 - Vanilla with Percy CANCELLED rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PBF 206 is Vanilla with Percival!

7 player vanilla Resistance.

One particular resistance member (call him Percival) knows another resistance member and a spy but not which is which. There is no assassination.

Now, I believe this turns 7p from pro-spy to pro-resistance even if one or more spies claim Percy so I have to give the spies a tiny edge to counterbalance it. I'm bringing back the Fast Start. Every player must approve at least one of the missions before the hammer, and having M1 sent relieves everybody of that obligation. Besides, this makes M1 proposals meaningful even on BGG!

So let the WIFOM fly!

NOTE: Some of the early discussion in this thread isn't going to make any sense to you unless you know that the original thread had "Percy" know only one resistance member.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF 206 - Vanilla with a Twist IN SIGNUPS
Currently signed up:

Player order:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mod stuff:

(names)

NO
YES

VOTE! Voting links: YES/NO

MISSION SENT! Voting links: PASS/FAIL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PBF Rules ruthlessly stolen from Natalie and changed to make them less elegant:

1) Official mission proposals should be in bold contain the mission number and proposal number. THe proposer should be followed by a colon and then the proposal. For example PBF 206: M1.1 paulharL paulhar/paulhar. Per standard PBF etiquette, the fifth proposal/hammer will automatically be sent. (However, if you bold your mission with the mission number, it is official even if you don't say PBF 206.)

2) All votes should be GM to me (paulhar). Send your vote in the subject line. For example "PBF 206 m1.1 YES". Using the links provided should work.

3) There is a non-strict time limit of 24 hrs on every official game action. If you are going to take much longer than that, please post in the thread in advance. Weekends are usually not included.

4) No game-related discussion is allowed outside the thread until the game is completed. This includes GMs between players and posts in other threads. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask! No question is to n00bish! If I don't know the answer, I'll hopefully consult someone who does.

5) Do not edit posts, except in the first minute or so to fix typos. Deleting is an extreme form of editing which is also forbidden. If you do edit, please type why you are editing. Example: Edit - For spelling mistakes.

6) No dice have been provided to you. You may not use the Geekroller in this thread. (I have no clue what the dice or Geekroller do anyway.)

7) Please subscribe to the thread and check in at least daily (exceptions for weekends).

8) Submission changes rule: You can change a submitted card any number of times (eg PASS/FAIL, ACCEPT/REJECT) but as soon as I receive the card from the last player, no more changes are allowed, even if I'm not there to post the results yet.
If you made changes after all the cards were in, I'll tell you which submitted card was the final one.

9) Feel free to message me anytime. It makes the game fun for me seeing what your thoughts are as you figure things out.

10) Remember everyone is here to have fun! Bullying, cursing, and other unsportsmanship like conduct is frowned upon. You may be asked to leave by the Mod should it become out of hand.

And, of course an ususual #11 for the Fast Game variant.
11) If you are in M1, you must accept ONE of the first four missions. If you have rejected M1.1, M1.2, and M1.3, you will auto-accept M1.4. If M1 gets sent, you are relieved of any further obligation to accept missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul, I think putting "Percy" without assassination is not going to work. After first failed mission you'll have two outed rebels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JarekWarsaw wrote:
Paul, I think putting "Percy" without assassination is not going to work. After first failed mission you'll have two outed rebels.

I disagree. First, M1 will probably float if a spy pair or a spy/res pair go on.

Second, if a 3p mission fails, it could always be the third player's fault.

"Percy" will know the other claimer is a spy but who will believe him? If three claim, there is one real "Percy" and two spies but nobody knows who is who. Even one spy claiming should put enough doubt in all the clueless players' minds.

But you've given me an idea, perhaps the game would work better if the Mini-Merlin was a real Percy - who knows one resistance member and one spy but not which is which! I think I like this better - what do you think, Jarek?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paulhar wrote:
But you've given me an idea, perhaps the game would work better if the Mini-Merlin was a real Percy - who knows one resistance member and one spy but not which is which! I think I like this better - what do you think, Jarek?
It decreases the problem, but still any kind of "special" rebel in vanilla is bound to pose problems for spies, as that "special" rebel can always claim.

If you're looking for variant with special rebel that doesn't have that problem, please check Defector. Basically - one of the rebel shows as a spy to other spies, but doesn't know about that he's the defector.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF 206 - Vanilla with Percy IN SIGNUPS
I could be wrong but I think it's almost balanced if a spy counterclaims. In any event, I agree that you are right that a Percy will be better so I will change it to a Percy. We'll see if it gets interest. If the spies win or evan have a reasonable shot at the end, it will show that it is playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karafruit Villager-Thrower
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
please don't fluff my kiwifruits
mbmbmbmbmb
Better make it vanilla with Percy and Mordred... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd play this if it is still happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard! I suspect it is going to happen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mb
Eh, why not? Can't get enough of this in person.

Begging off this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karafruit Villager-Thrower
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
please don't fluff my kiwifruits
mbmbmbmbmb
jmayDET wrote:
Eh, why not? Can't get enough of this in person.

!!!

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to my work schedule which gets really crazy for the next three months, I won't be running any games.

I am not sure why I am trying to improve upon Avalon; it is such a good game as it is that I should just run it without modification. Selfishly, I should run vanilla though, for then I'll be able to play Avalon.

I'll return PBF206 to the pool of available game numbers. I still want to keep PBF202 (Team Game) open because hopefully we'll get some more Resistance players this winter and by the time I'm ready to run games, there may be enough interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.