Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a Dire enmey attacks will it do one or two points of damage to the location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpozsr wrote:
When a Dire enmey attacks will it do one or two points of damage to the location.
Normally, only 1.
(You defend for 2 life, or it increases the threat by 1).

One of the dire enemies specifically says it will raise the land by 2 threat if unblocked, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Dire Enemy will only raise the Threat of the Region by 1. However, defending against it costs 2 Health (with the reward of drawing an Artifact card).

But make sure to read the Dire Enemy card as some break the rules.

Edit: ninja'd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
So Dire Enemies damage the region by one, AND their effect takes place? Man, that makes it even harder...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Let me introduce you to the Avenger - better known as the "Dire Killer"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
So Dire Enemies damage the region by one, AND their effect takes place? Man, that makes it even harder...
They don't call them "Dire" for nothin! whistle

Remember that their effect does not take place if you defend it for the aforementioned cost of two health (the exception being when explicitly stated, like the sea serpent who revolves all the heroes around *before* defending)

The one solace is that they only damage one region instead of two, so they really aren't that bad. Typically, I find Dire Enemies somewhat of a reprieve and always look forward to them due to the artifact reward.

I love the balance in this game... more dire enemies = more artifacts if you play right, which offsets the additional difficulty of more rounds a little bit. Everything is riskier at the higher levels of play, but the day can still be won - just in a different manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
So the two health expenditure prevents both the attack on the land AND the special effect (exception: the serpent)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
So the two health expenditure prevents both the attack on the land AND the special effect (exception: the serpent)?
Yes.

(Note that the other exception is the Minotaur, who costs 3HP to Defend but has no other special effect.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that really helps, I do not remember it saying that is the rules so the giant snake is not as bad as I thought. In our last game he was the first or senond card three turns in a row. We played where we couldnt use our abilities so needless to say we lost.
Our group is 0-4 in this game maybe that will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpozsr wrote:
Our group is 0-4 in this game maybe that will help.
Ouch! I play with 2 dire enemies and fully random heroes and region placement with about 70-80% success rate. You can get pretty screwed by the random draw of cards, or get insanely lucky, but there's usually something you can do. I'm pretty sure being able to use your abilities is key, though.

Some heroes are obviously better than others, and some bosses are harder than others (Overlord/Colossus, anyone??? Every time you hit these guys for 1 damage, they move or you get hurt, making them a LONG battle... and my land always crumbles before I can win)

If you're having troubles, try the Valkyrie (Avenger) to deal with your dire enemies. She has an amazingly useful ability because you don't have to plan to always have someone at a particular region to try to get the dire enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our defense, two of those losses would have been wins if we got to draw one more card. That close.

I think the game is fun, however card turn order is key in the last two rounds. Also we played 4 players each time maybe with 2 we get the extra moves each would help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep - I think the best way to "win" against harder levels is with 3 players. More flexibility with Ally card use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls