Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Gencon preview miniatures up on Flying Frog webstore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noticed Flying Frog have put up some of the left over Gencon preview miniatures sets on their webstore. They only have limited supplies left. Certainly a lot cheaper than some of the sellers on ebay!

Very tempted myself but I think with shipping and possible custom fees a bit out of reach for most international buyers, especially without knowing what the internatiional retail prices may be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Link? When I go to their webstore it seems to be an error?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Tempting, but I'll wait to see what comes in wave 1.5 and look for anything else at retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the Swamp Slugs and Hell Vermin are new. The rest should be in Wave 1.5 I believe.

I did pick up the slugs an vermin while there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I was a big fan of the initial game release, FFP have been incredibly slow at supporting the game with additional material. It's been a year since I got the game and only 4 small additional decks have been released.

So when I saw this post, I went to their webstore (finally found it) and put one of each Gencon Preview Edition in the cart.

$310! Without shipping or tax.

And most of the boxes seem to be simply a few miniatures with their Enemy Record Sheet and Threat card.

We stopped playing after a few months because after dozens of plays it no longer felt new. Just more of the same old stuff over and over. Without expansions, there wasn't anything new and interesting to keep us going. So we moved on to other games.

Now, at last, there's some new stuff! But a single new enemy at $20? Larger minis (which I find unnecessarily large) for $30, $40? Or all the expansions to really change up the game at the cost of hundreds of dollars?

I'm not a big miniatures fan. In fact, I hate the original SoB minis having to be assembled. And they're still unpainted. So if FFP is catering their expansions not to new game play but to new miniature buffs, then they've lost me.

Sadly, I think time has come for me to say adios to Shadows of Brimstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This should take you direct to the gencon preview page of the webstore -

http://flyingfrogproductions.mybigcommerce.com/Previews/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Curtis
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
So when I saw this post, I went to their webstore (finally found it) and put one of each Gencon Preview Edition in the cart.

You are paying a huge tax to get these early (as did any buyer at Gen Con). These packs will substantially less expensive at online retailers when they hit the retail stream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
SirRoke wrote:

You are paying a huge tax to get these early (as did any buyer at Gen Con). These packs will substantially less expensive at online retailers when they hit the retail stream.

Plus depending on whether or not one is an Outlaw or Mine Cart backer, and whether or not they paid for 1.5 delivery, some of those are better deals than others.

As an Outlaw, I'm trying not to justify buying Serpentmen or Masters of the Void, for example, as I should have a copy of that coming as it is, even if it's a year (or more) away.

It's nice to see a bunch of stuff done at least. There's a whole ton left to do, but at least it's progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baker
France
Rennes
flag msg tools
I regret adding the trun hunter during the pledge manager.
Paid 18$ instead of the 20$ here, so 2$ save to get them at least a year later ...

Also they probably will end up cheaper in retail ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Streu
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one am kinda pissed that they take the time to produce miniatures (and rules) that weren't in the Kickstarter. There are so many unfinished KS sculpts but FFP decides to delay them to create additional miniatures to make more $$$ of backers.
And this "100 lucky backers get their new stuff now, the rest in 6+months, but other customers whose money we haven't got yet can just purchase it right now" still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Because of this and the quality issues I have decided to no longer support this company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Asurin
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vhaeraun wrote:
I for one am kinda pissed that they take the time to produce miniatures (and rules) that weren't in the Kickstarter. There are so many unfinished KS sculpts but FFP decides to delay them to create additional miniatures to make more $$$ of backers.
And this "100 lucky backers get their new stuff now, the rest in 6+months, but other customers whose money we haven't got yet can just purchase it right now" still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Because of this and the quality issues I have decided to no longer support this company.

I backed at Minecart level and added all the optional things during the PM. So I'm actually really happy that I could order both the new monsters today, I'll get them fairly soon and will actually have some new monsters for the first time since last November. I'd actually have been more pissed if they hadn't put them on the store.

Whether I'd ever do another FFP kickstarter would depend on how small the scope is, turn around on this one has been huge because the amount of stuff is huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
great to see some stuff on the website, available for sale to anyone and yet me as a backer need to wait til 2017 for my stuff

good job FFP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already noted and mailed FFP that KS backers should at least
get the undelivered stuff in electronic form.
It is a travesty that were not even able to see the stuff we bought in detail, because of FFP strict copyright policy.

I am tolerant of delays given the scale of project,
but it is uncool from FFP to ask for tolerance and at the same
being very protective of "its" rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ricardo mesas spencer
Spain
benidorm
ALICANTE
flag msg tools
mb
Only 20€ to post it to spain, wow! I was expecting 50 or 70€. Just made my order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
Vhaeraun wrote:

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered the 9 items, plus 3 sets of cards from earlier, £264 for the UK, including postage, tax and admin fee. When I get these later I can either double up or sell off the extras. If the latter I am effectively renting these figures for 18 months for the cost minus what I can sell them for.

Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brennan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I see no problem with this at all. Let's face it most of what they sold at Gencon will be put on ebay anyway. So I applaud them for doing this. It allows me an others to get their stuff at the basic cost, rather then 30% more on ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Carr
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These seem too expensive to me. I'd love to have them early, but the fact that they come in big ugly white cardboard boxes and not the retail ones is a turnoff for me. I'll wait the extra 6, 8, 10 months or whatever for these to be released as they are meant to be. They'll be cheaper and finalized.

I love this game, but something about how they're handling its development is disconcerting. There's been next to nothing released in nearly a year and then a massive dumping of arguably overpriced miniatures at Gen Con that aren't even the finalized workup of what they should be!

Maybe I'm just slightly bitter because I really enjoy collecting all the components, expansions, add ons, etc. to games that I get into, but at this rate it would cost over $300 to get all the new stuff that Flying Frog shotgunned out at Gen Con. That's not even including the Caverns of Cynder expansion either.

All of it is just a bit aggravating in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wingate
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
Karlson311007 wrote:
These seem too expensive to me.

To be fair, the prices are pretty close to what was listed in the Kickstarter as the MSRP for the expansions. As an example, the Darkstone Brutes are now $20 vs $18.

As to why they are that expensive, you're paying for a board game company with no history in hard plastic kits to break into the hobby end of the business.

As someone who loves tabletop games and good looking miniatures, FFP would have had an easier time if the quality had matched promises and expectations. However, with the lackluster quality of the actual figures and the small amount of actual game content, I'd be hard pressed to justify purchasing the expansions if I wasn't already invested through the kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't going to, but ended up purchasing one of the sets (couldn't resist it!)

But I wanted to know has anybody who also made a purchase recently had a notification of shipping yet? Its been about a week now and all the order ever says is awaiting fulfillment.

I have ordered from the webstore before and they are usually pretty quick. I appreciate that they would have only just returned from Gencon so expected a little delay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Angel wrote:
I wasn't going to, but ended up purchasing one of the sets (couldn't resist it!)

But I wanted to know has anybody who also made a purchase recently had a notification of shipping yet? Its been about a week now and all the order ever says is awaiting fulfillment.

I have ordered from the webstore before and they are usually pretty quick. I appreciate that they would have only just returned from Gencon so expected a little delay.

I ordered 10/08/15 and FFP shipped on 13/08/15, hopefully to arrive in time for my birthday next month,

Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Angel wrote:

My status notice from FFP was updated to shipped today. This was 2 days after receiving the item via priority usps mail. EU shipping may not have the same notification system as direct US. It's almost definitely shipped, you could probably get a response with an email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually finally got a shipping notification email a few hours after I posted my message. When they actually shipped it though is another matter, so will see how long it takes to arrive.

Also noticed now the two non-kickstarter figures (slugs and hell vermin) are now out of stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik K.
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Like some others, I didn't bother ordering anything what I will be getting in my Kickstarter delivery, but I decided to pull the trigger early on the Slugs and Hell Vermin.

I placed my order the morning of August 8th.

According to Tracking Info:
Preshipment & Pickup: August 11th
Arrival at my local post office: August 15th 7:05am
Sorting Complete at my local post office: August 15th 7:58am

I'm not sure if "Sorting" means it made it on the truck for delivery today.... Or if it means I have to WAIT until MONDAY! The anticipation is killing me! Ugh! Can't anything go right in my life! cry

(Of course, I'm exaggerating. Still, a week turn around from order to arrival across the country is a modern marvel, no matter what anyone says.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.