Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
KY
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems everyone is throwing a fit over the combat system. But that's not what made Runebound for me. Runebound was getting immersed in the world. Which involved reading a lot of flavor text, and it was a blast.

How the frack can this be Runebound without flavor text?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Rossville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So third edition has no flavor text? Where did this get revealed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
So third edition has no flavor text? Where did this get revealed?
The preview image of enemies and items show no flavor text. On the upside, there's more flavor text on the back of heroes. Other adventure cards seem to still have flavor text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
They would be a big bummer if it's true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A common saying is, "if it's not broken, don't fix it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Seems everyone is throwing a fit over the combat system. But that's not what made Runebound for me. Runebound was getting immersed in the world. Which involved reading a lot of flavor text, and it was a blast.

There was flavor text to nearly every encounter we experienced. Plenty of theme in this one, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuckmanT wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

There was flavor text to nearly every encounter we experienced. Plenty of theme in this one, for sure.

Oh yeah? Every encounter card I've seen doesn't have any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please have no flavor text, that would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroic Blade has flavor text.

*edit, as do the two cards on the extreme left, which I presume are exploration encounters (flavor text located at the top).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
they do! thanks man. I totally missed looking at the top of the card for it. Faith restored.

Damn FFG and there small cards though :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Though Heroic Blade has no effect text. So perhaps only items with no abilities have flavor text?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
Though Heroic Blade has no effect text. So perhaps only items with no abilities have flavor text?

Good point. We'll have to see more cards to really gauge, but you're probably right.

*edit: It looks like the Cloak behind Heroic Blade also matches this pattern.

Also, though I'd love to hear more about how these works, aren't there supposed to be event cards that act almost like chapter designators in the play experience now? Things that cause global effects, or spawn side quests on the map?

I think this might be a picture of a few, and these also lend a little flavor (both in text and in the play experience).

Stuff like this, though a little half baked, could lend a lot to the session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:

Why are you even here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Why are you even here?

Annoying you is really enough. Why are you here? I thought you had decamped for Ameritrashitopia, or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Why are you even here?

Annoying you is really enough. Why are you here? I thought you had decamped for Ameritrashitopia, or whatever.

You are asking me why I am on the Runebound boards?
Really?

What on earth is your MO? Do you just hop around new BGG boards to practice your smugness? Because for all of the postings I see from you pretty much fuck all are about the game in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you both take this flirting to private geekmail. The tension is killing us.

Thanks!

Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the
icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the
icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the
icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:

That's...weird.
I think the old Runebound didn't have any story or flavor at all.It was bland and boring,i never had the impression to be in a fantasy world or in a story.The big boss was just a red card after all.
But i must admit i didn't like the old game for a lot of reasons ,that didn't help

The new edition seems to bring narrative elements to the game,story cards,quests,event,etc.
It seems far far better on this subject,at least for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I just witnessed the unstoppable force meet the unmovable object. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

That's...weird.
I think the old Runebound didn't have any story or flavor at all.It was bland and boring,i never had the impression to be in a fantasy world or in a story.The big boss was just a red card after all.
But i must admit i didn't like the old game for a lot of reasons ,that didn't help :(

The new edition seems to bring narrative elements to the game,story cards,quests,event,etc.
It seems far far better on this subject,at least for me.

Flavor text was good in runebound. Even better in the mini expansion/scenario ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Because for all of the postings I see from you pretty much fuck all are about the game in question.

I would enjoy the game more without flavor text on the cards. It lets me focus more on playing the game. Sorry if my previous posting was hard to understand, but now it should be clear what my point about the game in question is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Because for all of the postings I see from you pretty much fuck all are about the game in question.

I would enjoy the game more without flavor text on the cards. It lets me focus more on playing the game. Sorry if my previous posting was hard to understand, but now it should be clear what my point about the game in question is.

For what it is worth, I too am a bit indifferent to flavor text. I find it rarely creates an evocative sense of place, and often gets ignored (or confuses the issue when quickly glancing). Yet, I wouldn't go so far as to wish flavor text away. If others get enjoyment out of it, I don't see the harm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man. The thought of an adventure game without flavor text makes me ill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Bruder Tod, zu unserem Gastmahl, steig hervor aus Staub und Erden. Alles Leben ist ein Sterben, alles Sterben ist ein Werden.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

For those who don't want flavor text, eventually existing flavor text can be skipped while playing the game without much trouble.

For those who want the flavor text, it's a little more complex creating some when there is none.

So, please, flavor in so that everyone's happy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
For those who don't want flavor text, eventually existing flavor text can be skipped while playing the game without much trouble.

My experience is that there's finite space on the cards and so devoting too much of it to elements that are extraneous to playing the game can come with a significant cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:

My experience is that there's finite space on the cards and so devoting too much of it to elements that are extraneous to playing the game can come with a significant cost.
Which is why, traditionally, cards that have a lot of game text, have little or no flavor text. Flavor text just takes up unused space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |