Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Average Rating is what it sounds like, the true average of all the current ratings.

The Geek Rating is an adjusted rating that uses the current average rating and total ratings to give it a rating closer to where it would more likely be rated with more samples (for example, if one person rated some obscure game a 10 and was the only rating, it would be the #1 game on the geek, which wouldn't make sense)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevenson Junior
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zephro wrote:
Anyone know?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BoardGameGeek_FAQ#to...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
StevensonJunior wrote:

The actual algorithm is secret. Effectively it works much as the Wiki says, but that's not the real algorithm. If you hunt down how many 5.5's to add, you won't get the exact BGG rating.

But, it works and for consistency's sake, it's not going to change.

By "it works" I mean it keeps games with only a few partisan ratings from popping to the top when you get the list in BGG rating order. I do not mean, "The best game is always rated higher," even if best means the best average ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to the Advanced Search and do ratings 1 to 10 with at least 50 ratings, you get a much different list than what is there now.

In fact, if you go up to 99 ratings, it's very different (Small World Designer edition is actually the top rated game with that).

What is interesting is if you put in ratings 1-10 at 1000 raters at a minimum, and no expansions, you get a list similar to what's there now with the geek rating. However, at average ratings, you get Puerto Rico Anniversary Edition at the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geek ratings are calculated by removing Hoss Cartwright's genius yet trolling and moronic ratings of "1", and the next five ratings of "10" in response to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Geek rating is a tool by which crap is allowed to rise to the top.

Not really true, subjectively (for me) or objectively. I say 'objectively' because all the top 10 games have a high average rating, not just a high geek rating. The lowest average rating in the top 10 is 8.07, which is a very good average rating. A game needs both a high average and a high number of votes to be in the top. I guess you would want a rating that was closer to the true average? IMO, the current algorithm works quite well, and I don't think there is a better alternative. It prevents niche games from rising to the top, but popular war games like Paths of Glory and Combat Commander: Europe still reach the top 100.

But the geek rating will never be very useful, because how can you compare ASL to Agricola? The Board Game rank is useful if you're looking for eurogames, but I think the strategy game rank is even more useful, because then you exclude a lot of non-eurogames. War game rank, family game rank, thematic game rank etc. are all more useful than the regular board game rank. They use ratings closer to the true average rating, but they include only games in the right genre. I follow the strategy game rank and war game rank, because I'm mainly interested in war games and heavy eurogames. Sometimes I look at the thematic game rank, and if I'm looking for a family game, I'll look at the family game rank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyLord wrote:
If you go to the Advanced Search and do ratings 1 to 10 with at least 50 ratings, you get a much different list than what is there now.

In fact, if you go up to 99 ratings, it's very different (Small World Designer edition is actually the top rated game with that).

What is interesting is if you put in ratings 1-10 at 1000 raters at a minimum, and no expansions, you get a list similar to what's there now with the geek rating. However, at average ratings, you get Puerto Rico Anniversary Edition at the top.

Star Wars: Imperial Assault and Fields of Arle at #2 and #3. That's interesting. And ASL, Maria, Napoleon's Triumph all in the top 100. I like this list. But I like the regular board game Rank too. Twilight Struggle is one of the few games I've rated 10, so it suits me fine that it's the #1 board game, #1 strategy game and #1 war game.

I noticed that you don't have to go far down this list to find all the top 10 board games. They are all still in the top 22. Castles of Burgundy is #22 in this list, and it's the top 10 game with the lowest average rating.

Edit: This list actually includes most of my 9- and 10-rated games in the top 100, except for a couple of war games which don't have enough ratings, and Roads & Boats which is actually #101.

Edit 2: Out of curiosity, I checked which top 100 board games were not on this list (I mostly just checked which top 100 games had an average rating lower than 7.73). I came to 36. So 64 games were both on this list and in the top 100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.