United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wild guesses:
* Another Klingon Bird of Prey (because: why not?)
* Second Klingon Vor'cha-class (IKS Bortas, obviously)
* Probably Romulan Enterprise-era Bird of Prey (would prefer a Warbird, but we've for real got a ton of those, now. Another Scimitar makes no sense, and with a Valdore-class, scout ship, and science ship released this year...that just leaves the two Romulan Bird of Preys. One of which already has a pair of named versions, so...)

Those seem like safe guesses? As to the others...ummm...
* Second Galaxy-class?
* Another Ferengi Marauder, for four distinct named ships??
* Something for the Dominion, as they have practically nothing coming up so far. Breen might be nice, if for nothing else than to get another Dominion Admiral, although it'd be a re-used character (which is a shame, but the only two Breen named on the show we already have). Or our first Founder?
* The Borg have literally nothing more announced, so maybe another ship for them?

Has anyone heard anything that could rise to the level of even 'rumor' about what those 10 blinds might be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would imagine if they're trying to stay below a certain amount of points to do the blind boosters, such as 30, they'll be smaller ships or mid sized ones with very few upgrade cards.

So without further ado my educated guesses.

USS Yosemite - Oberth Class, Federation
USS Montgolifier - Saber Class, Federation
IKS Klothos - D7 Class, Klingon
RIS Talvath *EDIT* Some other name. - Science Vessel, Romulan
IRW Jazkal - Romulan Bird of Prey, Romulan
Assimilated Vessel 77139 - Assimilated Raven, Federation/Borg

And 4 random guesses.

Interceptor # - Interceptor, Bajoran
Scout # - Scout Cube, Borg
Ogla Raider - Ogla version of the Nistrim Raider, Kazon
#th Wing Patrol Ship - Attack Ship, Jem'Hadar

Or their may be 4-5 Zindi ships instead to really flesh out that faction.

I would love to see a rear firing arc resource that is a simple clear piece of plastic which fits over the firing arc/stat part of the base and gives that ship a rear firing arc -- Doesn't work on ships with 360 degree arcs to prevent Borg from using it of course.

*EDIT* Talvath is a retail release apparently. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking we'll see mid-20's like the RiF ones, so that the ships, even if lightly upgraded can make a solid impact.

Since this is happening around the time the TCW OP is starting, there could be 13 factions to represent with 10 ships (if they don't put Xindi in with independent, which with so many ship classes chances are good for their own faction). Unfortunately for fluidic space lovers, the bioships don't fit the blind point range so that one's easy to exclude. I'm guessing the Borg won't get one either unless they go for the "coffin" shaped ship as a new class (otherwise, we'd be looking at another scout cube which seems unlikely). Narrows it down a bit.

Federation: Could be a new class, if they want to introduce Steamrunner or Norway the same way they did the Sabre
Klingon: The best odds are just saying a bird-of-prey till proven otherwise
Romulan: Seems the 2nd drone ship would be a good fit
Dominion: Lots of options here since 26 point ships make up most of their selection...Maybe another Keldon to go with the gaggle of Galors
Ferengi: What else but another Marauder
Vulcan: They have two of each class, so hard to say which they'd pick. Could also be a new class.
Mirror: I really am not sure since they can mirror anything from the main universe!
Xindi: Don't think we got a Primate or Arboreal ship as a prize ship, so my guess is one of those two to help round out the faction more if it is indeed its own faction.

If that's the route they go with those are the factions I'm pretty sure they'd include. The other three to fill in the last two spots would be:

Kazon: Despite the last one being a Predator class, that feels like the best choice here over the 20 point raider
Bajoran: Interceptor is the logical choice, but a 16 point ship might be hard to balance against the other 9
Independent: I'm just not sure what they'd go with. If there was enough material I'd say Andorian (similar to how the Maquis raider was a blind first) but I'm not sure there is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A big question that could be concretely answerable: when do these come out? The solicit lists "September," but since the solicit didn't show up until a week after the deadline was supposed to be over, that may not be accurate, nor does it suggest whether it'll be the first or last week of September.

As for the speculation:

I think the idea that they are going to try to target 30 points again with the ships is pretty sound, since the 90-30 split was touted as the "Blind Ship Format" in general, rather than being specific to a specific event. A 100-20 design that's all about tiny Enterprise-era ships would be neat thematically, but probably unlikely to happen.

So that generally only leaves ships in the 20-26 range, barring bizarre outliers like The Collective's Vorta Vor; 18 or less means having to field the entire pack at once, and 28 or 30 means only 1 Captain/Upgrade at best, and neither does a good job of putting customization in the players' hands. I'm also guessing that they won't repeat any class from last time to represent the same faction, although that prediction may come back to bite me.

Federation, unsurprisingly, have tons of options. Miranda (Bozeman?), Nova (Rhode Island?), Constitution (any number of TOS ships), Defiant (Sao Paulo?), Excelsior or Nebula...there are so many ships that could work well here that I agree that two Federation ships might not be overkill.
Klingons pretty much only have the two Birds-of-Prey to work with, which is unfortunate, but at least there's still ground to cover, like Kruge or the Duras Sisters.
Romulans are definitely in the worst shape here. A second Drone Ship is the only thing that fits the points, but working that unique Captain mechanic into the blind format would be difficult. For once, I actually wouldn't mind if they skipped Romulans and put something that would play better in, instead.
Dominion is probably going to see a Galor-class, the Breen Battle Cruiser is also a good fit for the points, but there's not much ground to cover from their short appearances, while there are still missing Galors like the Vetar, Aldara, and prime Prakesh.
Borg literally have only one option, unless they go into assimilated vessels. That actually gives them theoretically infinite possibilities, like with the Mirror Universe, so it'd be hard to guess on that front, but it'd probably be the coolest option for them.
Species 8472 remains pretty impossible to do anything with.
Kazon have plenty of sects with no representation, like the Pommar and Oglamar, and the Raider is the right cost, although I feel players would often find it the unlucky pick from the pack.
Bajorans desperately need ships, but there's not much that can be done with their low SP values, unless they somehow introduced a Skill 9 Bajoran Captain to fill 6 points at once.
Ferengi have very little meaningful new ground to cover through Blind Boosters, hopefully they'll be sitting this one out.
Vulcans have the Suurok, which, thanks to its Combat Variants, has been a surprisingly playable ship. I would not be opposed to seeing another variation on that theme, or even the introduction of the Sh'Ran, considering it's just the same model as the Suurok with a different stat line.
Xindi (if they're a faction) definitely deserve to be represented here, and I echo the sentiment that this would be the perfect place to fit in a Primate or Arboreal preview, since having a duplicate of any of the prize ships would unnecessarily devalue them. Hopefully, the Xindi when fully formed will have a model from each of the 5, that would be a fun fleet to helm, especially if they have starkly differing maneuvers like a multi-race Dominion fleet.
Independents really deserve two slots this time around, because they represent so many different things, and they have two great choices - the Hirogen and the Vidiians, neither of which was fully fleshed out in their retail expansions.
Mirror Universe is wholly unpredictable, the only constant being that they will be present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaximumDT wrote:
I would imagine if they're trying to stay below a certain amount of points to do the blind boosters, such as 30, they'll be smaller ships or mid sized ones with very few upgrade cards.

I'm not so sure that's what is going on this time.

Consider: last time, when WizKids was suggesting blind boosters as part of the buy-in for an OP event, the booster sets were tied to specific OPs. This is not the case, this time, with this single set of boosters being applicable to all events for the foreseeable future (2015 and 2016, anyway).

Secondly, the last time WizKids used blinds boosters in the events, the event kits specified how many points players should bring 'base', and how many they needed to build out from the booster. We already have the first OP event that runs in parallel with this brick, in 'Balance of Terror', and it mentions nothing about any kind of recommendations for point targets from the blind booster - just the now-standard 'players build to 120 points'.

So... I dunno, not a sure thing, but I don't think we can assume this brick will have a set of ships all in the same point range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let's see:

Dyson's Sphere
Voth City Ship
Doomsday Machine
Husnock Ship
Vaduar Fighter
Neelix's Ship
IKC Fek'lhr (Voodieh class- it's the two ships that attack the Future Enterprise in All Good Things, same model reused as Negh'Var class)
Tsunkatse Ship
Fesarius
Think Tank Ship

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Consider: last time, when WizKids was suggesting blind boosters as part of the buy-in for an OP event, the booster sets were tied to specific OPs. This is not the case, this time, with this single set of boosters being applicable to all events for the foreseeable future (2015 and 2016, anyway).

Secondly, the last time WizKids used blinds boosters in the events, the event kits specified how many points players should bring 'base', and how many they needed to build out from the booster. We already have the first OP event that runs in parallel with this brick, in 'Balance of Terror', and it mentions nothing about any kind of recommendations for point targets from the blind booster - just the now-standard 'players build to 120 points'.

So... I dunno, not a sure thing, but I don't think we can assume this brick will have a set of ships all in the same point range.

That doesn't matter. The suggested tournament format which came out after the RiF rules indicate how to use blind ships when they are part of an event. It doesn't have to say it for every event, and it allows them to be used at any event by just giving those standardized suggestions.

And its worth noting that it still retains its mention of blinds and how to used them, unchanged from the initial version from last fall.

Most likely the builds will still be 90+30 where these are in use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gallagher
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I predict that Columbia NX-02 will be a blind ship, just because I really want one and making it a blind will make it harder for me to get (and have fewer cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they will try to get some more millage out of some of the sculpts.

Fed - NX Columbia or Raven

Klingons - Raptor or D7 class, leaning towards the Raptor

Romulans - Ent era POB, hopefully it can cloak

Dominion - Jem H'Dar attack ship

Kazon - Raider

Independent - Tholia Two or Another Gorn

Bajoran - Interceptor

Vulcan - Suurok class

MU - MU Tholian

Ferengi - Marauder

Just speculation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
I think they will try to get some more millage out of some of the sculpts.

Fed - NX Columbia or Raven

I can't see them using the Raven in a blind. 1 weapon power is just so low pulling it would put you to in a hole for the event. The lowest we've seem on a blind was the Vorta Vor and it could mount a weapon at least and cloak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Well, 14 factions (if we say Xindi will be its own). 13 have ships (none for Q).

FED/KLI/ROM/DOM/BOR/BAJ/KAZ/FER/VUL/SPE/IND/MU/XIN(?)

I would bet it is a 30SP blind draw again. I would prefer 40, but I don't think enough factions have ships large enough to do that. You would need 28 SP or better base ship to be reasonable.

So, 30SP. In the past, that was 18-26SP for the base ship and the PAV was 2-4. I'm also just going to assume no new models.

FED: I would guess another Excelsior. The excelsior class showed up everywhere and there are a lot of ships that were on screen without enough to to flesh out a full expansion.
KLI: Another K'vort. Same logic as Fed. I could see them going for the IKS Amar (the last named k'tinga) though.
ROM: Either another tombstone (Vorta Vor) or a Prototype 02.
DOM: Another Galor or JH attack fighter. I think they want to avoid 5PAV blind draw ships so I don't expect a Keldon.
BOR: An assimilated ship. I really don't know what class to go with though. An assimilated JH attack fighter would be interesting.
FER: Marauder
KAZ: Predator
VUL: D'kyr
SPE: No class small enough. Though a new 28SP bioship class would be a neat addition to Species.
BAJ: A third scout ship?
IND: Beta Hunter (is this a thing?)
MU: No idea
XIN: A second insectoid or reptilian ship. We saw enough of them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ferengi have very little meaningful new ground to cover through Blind Boosters, hopefully they'll be sitting this one out.

Well, they really only have the marauder and the rarely seen shuttle. Since having a 2nd marauder as a retail expansion in the near future (since we just got one) is less likely, getting them as a blind seems reasonable. Even with Quark's Treasure, they could probably use the options that would come out of a blind.

Quote:
Independents really deserve two slots this time around, because they represent so many different things, and they have two great choices - the Hirogen and the Vidiians, neither of which was fully fleshed out in their retail expansions.

I didn't consider those specific mini-factions within Independent. That's a solid idea. Could be where they'll go with it. The ships are the right point value and stat range.

Quote:
I can't see them using the Raven in a blind.

I don't think so either. The reasons you gave are good, but I'd also add, I doubt they will reprint a prize ship as a blind ship.

Quote:
XIN: A second insectoid or reptilian ship. We saw enough of them

That's true, they did most of the fighting. I think the two that aren't prizes would be better though and might be more likely. If we assume that all 3 of the prizes are also getting retail variants (everything through BoT but the assimilated ships and the Raven and the Sakharov has or is scheduled to, I believe), then would the reptilians or insects really need 3 ships? I could actually see them making Primates & Arboreals both blinds so that we get 2x of all 5 this way. 11 named ship faction, easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Seery
msg tools
MaximumDT wrote:

So without further ado my educated guesses.

RIS Talvath - Science Vessel, Romulan

Seeing as the RIS Talvath gets a retail release in two months time it certainly won't be that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Liedtka
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
If they are ENT/TOS era based:

Fed - NX Columbia

Klingons - Duras BOP from that ENT episode

Romulans - Another Drone Ship

Dominion - Only becasue its one of the big 4 races, Jem Hadar

Independent x2 - Telerite? and/or Andorian?

Borg - The retro fitted ship the Borg from first contact made in ENT.

Vulcan - Suurok or D'Kyr

MU - Maybe the Defiant from the ENT mirror episode.

Xindi - A smaller one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

The 'Additional Rules for Tournament Play' list Blind Booster rules in the 'Suggested Tournament Format' section, and covers what to do if you're using Blind Boosters. My understanding is that the boosters are optional for any events in the time period they cover, so the decision's on a store-by-store basis. Since the blinds are optional and the relevant rules are separately covered, it makes sense that they would leave them out of the event-specific OP rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan VanDeventer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
If it goes Enterprise themed for the event:
FED: NX02 Columbia
KLI: D6 or ENT Era Bird of Prey
ROM: ENT Era Bird of Prey or Prototype 02
DOM: N/A
BOR: Assimilated ENT Era ship that the NX had to destroy.
FER: Small Ferengi Ship that boarded the NX.
KAZ: N/A
VUL: Vulcan Shuttle or Vulcan Fighters maybe
SPE: N/A
BAJ: N/A
IND: Telerite Ship
MU: ISS Enterprise NX class
XIN: 1 of the other 2 faction ships.

If not following the event and just used to fill out the season with blind ships then:
FED: Sabre class
KLI: Duras Bird of Prey
ROM: Shuttle
DOM: Sona Ship
Borg: Prob Ship from Voyager
FER: Stolen Bird of Prey
KAZ: Other sect Raider
VUL: Shuttle or Fighters
SPE: Bioship
BAJ: Interceptor 8
IND: Think Tank's ship or Krenim Warship
MU: USS Defiant (Constitution class) with Empress Hoshi
XIN: Same as above

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sten
United States
New York
flag msg tools
dprcooke wrote:
My understanding is that the boosters are optional for any events in the time period they cover, so the decision's on a store-by-store basis. Since the blinds are optional and the relevant rules are separately covered, it makes sense that they would leave them out of the event-specific OP rules.

Are they really optional? For the Borg events, the store owner at my venue insisted that they had no choice but to get blind boosters with each kit even though some of us contested that we were saturated with blind booster ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your store owner was wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While you weren't required to use the Blinds, depending on the distributor they purchase from, they may have had to buy it as a bundle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thought in support of Breen as a Dominion ship (reaching as it is for new captains/crew)...

WizKids seems to be pushing out the new 'timer' tokens for secondary weapons in new ship releases - a Breen ship would allow them to give the Dominion both new photon torpedoes and energy dissipators with the 'timer' token mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Another thought in support of Breen as a Dominion ship (reaching as it is for new captains/crew)...

WizKids seems to be pushing out the new 'timer' tokens for secondary weapons in new ship releases - a Breen ship would allow them to give the Dominion both new photon torpedoes and energy dissipators with the 'timer' token mechanic.

I would hope they save that for a retail release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SMDMadCow wrote:

[Shakes Magic 8 Ball]

Quote:
Reply hazy try again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SMDMadCow wrote:
XanderF wrote:

Could do both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
SMDMadCow wrote:
XanderF wrote:

Could do both.

My initial thought would be that it would be nearly too hard to do even one, as the lack of named Breen would be a real problem.

However, as WizKids has delved into the novels at least once, already...

It opens up a bevy of options for the Breen. PARTICULARLY since all Breen are identical, you can basically just pick any screenshot of any Breen and slap one of the new names on them.

So we get:
- Chot Nara (crew)
- Chot Jin (crew)
- Chon Min (crew)
- Thot Keer (captain)
- Thot Gren (admiral)
- Torzat (ship name)

...etc. So... yeah, definitely some solid candidates for more Breen-i-ness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the original Breen: Boushh
 Thumb up