Andy Leedy

Westerville
Ohio
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I originally wanted to create a dice deck, I think went a about it all wrong. I created a post and things kind of took a left turn. The cards looked bad and the randomness of dice was not there. So I abandoned the whole design and headed back to the drawing board.

This is the new design I came up with...

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/ultimate-geek-dicedeck-...

I've been playing with a sleeved PNP version but I should be receiving the printed version on quality card stock in the mail any day.

I would like to ask one thing, please refrain from heading down the road of debating odds as I would rather not turn this thread into a debate. I will however be glad to discuss that topic with anyone via geekmail. The theory and mechanics of this deck is completely new. I am certain that the deck works as described. It has been play tested and everything is in spreadsheets that confirm the design is sound.

Hopefully I can get video up soon. I don't own a video camera but I can probably create a video with my smart phone.

I guess I'm more or less wondering if anyone finds this interesting and I'm looking for some general feedback.

Thnaks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andy! I checked this out earlier and really like the crisp traditional card look of this version. I actually didn't realize the dice decks you mentioned existed so yours is the first I examined. Some players will not want to replace their dice with cards for certain reasons, but I usually prefer card games over dice so I could see using them.
It never hurts to put your own take on things, hope the game crafter version turns out as nice as it looks. Glad you followed through with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leedy

Westerville
Ohio
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words Chad!

-Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The offset idea is pretty neat, I would make the numbers bigger so it's absolutely less ambiguous.

It just bugs me that it's not as simple as drawing a card. But it's a good idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bkahuna wrote:

I've been playing with a sleeved PNP version but I should be receiving the printed version on quality card stock in the mail any day.

I guess I'm more or less wondering if anyone finds this interesting and I'm looking for some general feedback.

Thnaks!

Do you have a basic PnP version to share? Or did I miss that somewhere?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leedy

Westerville
Ohio
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't sure how to post a PDF file without adding a board game to the database. I already submitted a request to have the Ultimate Geek Dice added. I'm just waiting for approval. If you want to send me a geekmail with your email address, I'll be glad to email you a basic PDF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leedy

Westerville
Ohio
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added a video to the first post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Genius!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back!

Nice Video! Really.. It demonstrates the flaws of your system even more:
You need 2 cards to generate 1 result. By drawing the first card you reduce the number of elements in the pool of possible results by 1. Thus you do not have the same probabilties as you could have when rolling a die.
PLUS the next "die roll" has to cope with even less options.
And the more cards you draw without reshuffling, the more you get away from the supposed probabilty.

Feel free to prove me wrong, but please do so in public:
Others interested in creating a dice deck might want to use yours as an example.

Oh, and btw: You are presenting a randomizer system claiming it could replace dice. What else is there to discuss, if not the odds of certain chances?
Or did you just come for oooohs ans aaaahs?

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leedy

Westerville
Ohio
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:

Feel free to prove me wrong, but please do so in public:
Kai

I can assure that the system works. In the first post I specifically requested not turn this into this thread into an "odds" debate. If you're interested in the project I will be glad to discuss statistics, probabilities and odds with you via geekmail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Good video. Whether the odds are balanced or not, I like it. Is it the same as dice? I think not. Better? That depends on the use. It is just different.

I recommend square cards to include D4, D6, D8, D10 and a redesign.
You could have just a shape in the top corner representing the dice, and the roll numbers below it, one of them highlighted, or boxed... (the triangle you are using as the arrow belongs to the D4 iconography).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
... or boxed... (the triangle you are using as the arrow belongs to the D4 iconography).

I agree. That was one thing that threw me a bit- maybe just use a more "traditional" arrow shape?

And yes, a square shape may allow for more numbers on the sides, but then rotation becomes an issue. If we're not paying attention, I may line up a D10 marker with a D4 card- and get no result.

Finally, since the cards come in pairs, something needs to be said about possibly taking the top card and cutting it to the bottom of the pile. This could be done after "x number of rolls" to put a degree of uncertainty (not randomness since all the cards are in order) back into the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Beach
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really seeing the purpose here. The function of dice decks is usually to "smooth out" the randommess, whereas this keeps approximately the same randomness. Why reinvent the wheel? If it's a volume issue, a smartphone app would be the logical replacement, as there are several free ones available already.

The design of 2 dice types per deck could also get cumbersome. Take D&D for example. It uses 6 different types of dice. To replace those with your dice deck would require 3 separate draw decks, plus their corresponding discard piles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Medvinskiy
United States
Folcroft
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why draw two cards each time? You can draw only one and use top card from previous draw as the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leedy

Westerville
Ohio
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
I recommend square cards to include D4, D6, D8, D10 and a redesign.
You could have just a shape in the top corner representing the dice, and the roll numbers below it, one of them highlighted, or boxed... (the triangle you are using as the arrow belongs to the D4 iconography).

govmiller wrote:
That was one thing that threw me a bit- maybe just use a more "traditional" arrow shape?

Thanks for suggestions guys, I liked the boxed idea, or an arrow instead of the triangle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leedy

Westerville
Ohio
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hickname wrote:
Why draw two cards each time? You can draw only one and use top card from previous draw as the second.

Actually someone else had mentioned this to me as well. While it is easier to draw only card, I tested it and as I suspected it will not work using this method. The reason the deck can draw all of the same number or any combination of numbers is based on each card pointing to every number possible. The results of all the rolls are determined at the time you shuffle, but are not revealed to you until you draw the cards. If you were to draw two cards at first and draw single cards, you loose the functionality the deck provides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leedy

Westerville
Ohio
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neph42 wrote:
The function of dice decks is usually to "smooth out" the randommess, whereas this keeps approximately the same randomness.

That's a good point. I hadn't thought about a rolling on a curve. Removing certain cards to build a custom deck opens up new possibilities. Thanks! I'm going to explore this idea and see what results I can come with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkahuna wrote:
Hickname wrote:

Actually someone else had mentioned this to me as well. While it is easier to draw only card, I tested it and as I suspected it will not work using this method. The reason the deck can draw all of the same number or any combination of numbers is based on each card pointing to every number possible. The results of all the rolls are determined at the time you shuffle, but are not revealed to you until you draw the cards. If you were to draw two cards at first and draw single cards, you loose the functionality the deck provides.

The question is still valid, though:
Upon reducing the dice on a card to pairs (4/8,6/12, 10/20), you could eliminate the need to draw a second card completely:
By having the values 1 to 4 twice along the values 1 to 8, you would have the exakt same probabilties on a card draw as you would have on a die.
Yes, you would need to reshuffle everytime. Then again, with your current system you have to do so as well...

Or you really go the road of including a curve. Then again, why should I try to replace dice with your deck, if the deck does not replace a single die anymore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leedy

Westerville
Ohio
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
Or you really go the road of including a curve.

I'm just trying to think outside the box and explore all the possibilities of functionality that this deck affords. I have tested it and it is possible to introduce a curve by removing two of the cards of same value with the arrow next to them. As soon as I have it worked out I will post the results and custom curves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leedy

Westerville
Ohio
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also currently working a few new games that utilize these cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.