Popular Tags: [View All]
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we know what the actual symbols on the tokens will be?

Are they the same (basically) as the symbols from cards in 2nd Edition, or is there some new stuff there?

Has FFG said anything about creating unique tokens for monsters or characters, or is everything more or less expected to be sort of generic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
Do we know what the actual symbols on the tokens will be?

Are they the same (basically) as the symbols from cards in 2nd Edition, or is there some new stuff there?

Has FFG said anything about creating unique tokens for monsters or characters, or is everything more or less expected to be sort of generic?

New stuff, for sure.

Some of the demo players have attempted to list them out, I'll try to edit a quote in, but from memory:

Axe: Represents a unit of damage.
Lightning Bolt: Surge (allowing for creature/item specific effects to occur).
Shield: A unit of defense.

Ones I know exist but can't remember the symbols for:

[spend to] double another token.
[spend to] flip another token (the tokens are dual sided, and have different symbols on each).

Maybe more.

I suspect the token pool will consist of a small number of basic symbols, but in varying configuration (e.g. one token offering 1 damage, another a surge + 1 damage, etc). Seeing as how FFG went iconographic with the design, I can't imagine memory demand wasn't a concern they consciously aimed to mitigate. They will probably keep the base set simple for this reason, and introduce new tokens in the expansions, much in the way 2e introduced new mechanisms (though this is a complete guess).

*edit:

snojo800 wrote:
[how combat works]

Each player shakes up their tokens in hand, and drops them on the table. The visible sides are pretty much the actions you can take. Some tokens have gold icons, these count towards initiative. Higher initiative goes first.

The first player picks a token to use as an action. If the token symbol matches others, you can add them to it. For example, an axe means attack power (even though you might not actually have an axe equipped). Each axe is 1 damage. If my token throw has an axe, and another token has an axe with a 2, you can group them together for 3 damage. Once you choose your action those tokens are spent, then the other player chooses one action. This keeps going until neither player has any more useable tokens. Once all tokens are spent, each player in combat gathers them all up again (even spent ones) and gives them another shake and toss. EDIT: For clarity, you don't have to "spend" all your tokens. You may have tossed a surge that you cannot use, for example.

This repeats until either the player is KO'ed or the monster is slain.

Token actions I've seen at Gencon:
-Axe: attack power
-Wing: can be used to flip one of your tokens to its other side, or can make an opponent toss a token again
-Lightning bolt (surge): Used to activate abilities on your hero/monster or equipment. Can only activate one surge ability per token toss
-Shield: negates incoming damage equal to amount of shields you tossed. These are used in reaction to an attack, not on your turn as an action.
-Hyphen: this means nothing. These symbols can be golden, however.

Does this help?

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19961305#19961305

I didn't think to ask what he meant by "golden."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

One of the videos from Gencon mentioned it (maybe the BGG demo), gold is initiative. Most gold goes first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:

One of the videos from Gencon mentioned it (maybe the BGG demo), gold is initiative. Most gold goes first.

Oh yeah, I knew that. I didn't connect the dots (I thought he meant "golden" literally, or as slang for "opportune").

Speaking of which, where are all the Gencon videos? This one isn't posted to the site yet:

And it is one of my favorites (he shows the board after a short bit, and displays tokens at the 2:36~ mark <-- OP take note).

Also, BGG TV had FFG in their booth, but I haven't seen that footage yet either. Know where I might see that? Eric Martin implied he was going to edit it out from something longer that is currently available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the front page, there's a link to the live stream from BGG's booth. I believe Runebound was day 2. The videos do take a bit for them to edit together. I imagine over the next week there will be a lot more Gencon videos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool -- thanks for the quick responses, everyone. Good information here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a related note, can anybody identify the symbols marked in red below? Neither are familiar to me (especially the one at the top in red). The one in pink might just be a "initiative" surge, but the icon seems to have a bit more going on than the other (black) surge symbols.

Humm..

* edit:

Oh, lookie here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look like Martian crabs to me . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe from scouring videos and forums (I've not played) that the top right is the symbol for magic attack, that the pink is 2surge, and definite about the lower red being the lore tokens.

The bottom picture is the same as the top red - presumably magic attack. You can tell because they have 6 points instead of the 8 on the lore token
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, from what I've gathered, there are two types of damage - physical and magical. The full list of icons I've seen are:

- Physical damage
- Magical damage
- Generic damage (monsters only)
- Defence
- Surge
- Agility (flip a token)
- Double-up
- Nothing

These symbols can all (including "nothing") come in gold versions that count as +1 initiative, as well as in multiples on a single side (i.e, 2 surges, 3 physical damage, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TopherMel wrote:
I believe from scouring videos and forums (I've not played) that the top right is the symbol for magic attack, that the pink is 2surge, and definite about the lower red being the lore tokens.

The bottom picture is the same as the top red - presumably magic attack. You can tell because they have 6 points instead of the 8 on the lore token

Yes, those are all correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuckmanT wrote:
TopherMel wrote:

Yes, those are all correct.

Do you know what the circular +1 effect is on the armor I posted a picture of above? I presume the +2 hearts means the player takes extra life and adds it to their overall pool of maximum health tokens, but the +1 [circular symbol] has me scratching my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The circular symbol is an attribute. You can see them here:

Bottom of the hero card. The circular symbol also appears in Mok's ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamwork!

Thanks, Thomas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, just garnered from that pic - Laurel of Bloodwood's special abilities:

Pathfinding: Once per turn, you may reroll all of your terrain dice.

1 [surge] - Speed of (something): Recast 1 of your spent tokens (even the [surge] just spent).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaMothe
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The crab looking thing is Magic damage, apparently some monsters may care what type of damage you do. At least one character had Magic damage on their starting tokens instead of Axes.

The white tokens with a compass-rose-esque symbol on them aren't for combat. I don't remember exactly what they were called (Lore maybe?) but you accumulate them over the course of the game and they make the end boss easier for you based on how many you have. I had at least one quest that would let me either gain one or make everyone else lose one, so there's some dynamism there.

The pink box in Enon Sci's picture seems like a 2 lightning bolt token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls