Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Working on the Mandatory/Optional Rules Reference rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We're trying to put together the text for another Reference Card - this time the Mandatory v. Optional Abilities.

So far, from the FAQ/Tournament Rules I have:

Original Version wrote:
Mandatory / Optional Abilities Reference
1) A card ability is considered optional if it uses the word “may” OR has an “Action:” or “Attack:” header OR requires its owner to disable or discard the corresponding card in order to activate the ability. When a card ability has a cost (discard, disable, disable a shield, auxiliary token, spend a token, etc.) it is optional. In all other circumstances, the card ability is mandatory and must be followed.

2) All cards that contain non-ACTION text abilities that are optionally triggered by a player may only be used once per round per ship per card.

a. Cards with continuous effects may affect multiple dice rolls in a round.

b. Cards that state “each time” OR “every time” OR “When defending” OR “When Attacking” may be used multiple times per round.

3) Any time an infinite occurrence could be read into the card interactions assume it only works one time unless otherwise noted in the most current FAQ on the WizKids Rules Forum.

UPDATED VERSION:

Quote:
1) A card ability is considered optional if:
- Has an “Action:” or “Attack:” header.
- It uses the word “may”.
- Requires being disabled or discarded to activate the ability.
- It requires a cost to activate (eg: disable a shield).

In all other circumstances, the card ability is mandatory and must be followed.

2) All cards that contain non-ACTION text abilities that are optionally triggered by a player may only be used once per round per ship per card.

a. Cards with continuous effects may affect multiple dice rolls in a round.

b. If the Cards states any of the following, it may be used multiple times per round:
- “each time”
- “every time”
- “When defending”
- “When attacking”

3) Any time an infinite occurrence could be read into the card interactions assume it only works one time unless otherwise noted in the most current FAQ on the WizKids Rules Forum.

Feedback is most welcome - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At the recomendation of dprcooke - here is the source:

http://wizkids.com/attackwing/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/201...

Items 1 & 21-23 under Additional Rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Evans
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinKase wrote:
We're trying to put together the text for another Reference Card - this time the Mandatory v. Optional Abilities.

For clarity I suggest breaking the first rule into smaller chunks-- it's currently dense and hard to read. A possible edit...

1) A card ability is considered optional if:
* it uses the word “may”
* it has an “Action:” or “Attack:” header
* it requires being disabled or discarded to activate its ability
* it requires a cost in order to activate its ability-- for example, disable a shield, auxiliary power token, spend a token, etc.

In all other circumstances, the card ability is mandatory and must be followed.

...also...

Is 2a redundant with 2b? Or are "continuous effects" different than what you define in 2b?

I hope this is helpful.

EDIT: Okay, duh. Maybe I should read the *source* provided before chiming in. I didn't realize you were quoting verbatim. I guess my feedback still stands?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that - I think breaking it out is a good thing. It makes it much clearer that the wall of text that would appear once this is card sized.

Yeah, 2a/b are a bit repetitive redundant - though I should look to see if they defined Continuous Effects anywhere.

Also, maybe if we break it out into bullets as well, it would be clearer as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this look? (Had to adjust for space)

No idea what to use as an illustration at the top though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Evans
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good. I'd say skip a graphic and give yourself more room to work with. I'd also consider cutting #4-- it's such a remote possibility I'm not sure it deserves all that real estate? Would give you more room for a bigger font.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
#4 could certainly be cut if people feel it isn't all that worthwhile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bassett

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think #4 is to limit Tactical Station to not being able to have infinite attack dice.

And any other such stupid thing they might print in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomTheCPA wrote:
I think #4 is to limit Tactical Station to not being able to have infinite attack dice.

And any other such stupid thing they might print in the future.

Tactical Station is already limited by the fact that they've errata'd it to be unique. But yes, the "whenever an infinite" clause that they've added is clearly a generic safeguard against possible future super-combos caused by them not seeing a specific card interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls