M Mendes
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
Currently stuck on Mission 4 after a couple attempts. This is with 5 agents, but I really don't see how it's possible with any fewer.

I've been playing a team of Chromium w/ Grenadier, Thorium w/ GD-209 and the Sentry Gun, Niobium with Psionic Master and Toughness, Iridium with Eagle Eye, and Titanium with Charge. All have Alien Knowledge except Niobium. Chromium got the Ion Pistol halfway through the second attempt, and Iridium and Titanium have their alien Primary weapons.

You're hit with so much firepower out of the gate that you have to hang back and defend for a while (not to mention that event P1 forces you to stop for a while unless you have the right alien weapons), but with only 11 Event cards, all of which send in new aliens in some form or another, there's not enough time to take out the two Nexi, destroy the two shield generators, break down the doors, kill the Xeno-Beast, AND get everyone into the base. Between the sure-hit diggers, the Xeno-Alphas/Nexi, the Xeno-Delta, and the Arachnos/Flying Critters that try to drag you into the range of those aliens' multiple attacks per activation, I'm having trouble coming up with a workable strategy. It doesn't help that the two Nexi are in different areas from their shield generators so they don't take area damage from hits on the other.

On my first attempt, I tried to rush it and half the team got slaughtered before the first Power Suit even arrived. On the second attempt, I took it slow at the start, but lost Titanium on turn 4 or so and Thorium was kept busy healing Niobium and Chromium repeatedly. The Nexi went down (the blue thanks only to a prone Iridium), but by the time I could destroy the shield generators, there was only one card left in the Event deck (not counting event B) and enough aliens left alive that it was impossible to get anyone inside after breaking down the doors.

Also, the rulebook says there can't be an agent outside the base at the end of the mission. Does that mean you're not allowed to take any casualties, or simply that all survivors have to make it to the base? And are the Nexi affected by the Xeno-Alpha's Leader ability? I ruled it as "No" since the Nexi aren't allowed to cross the boundary hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember having too much problems with that mission (won it the first time), and knowing the events should really help you (because I almost lost because one agent was stuck out of the alien base and had to successfully evade). But here are some tricks:

-The satellite strike should take care of the doors (and an infortunate alien there).
-Toughness nullifies poison and other "critical bod conditions": one of your agent should always have it!
-Do you use the positions? Remember a prone position offers you two bonus hits for a shot: that nullifies the blue nexus armor! And it even gives you a better protection against nexus ranged hits.
-If you know when events A and B will be drawn, try to use your tactics at best. If they are refreshed 2 times, that means an agent with "heal 1 wound" has effectively +3 HP. Give the minor tactic to your tank with toughtness (he needs to take the wounds, not to deal damages, he can avoid an alien weapon), and the improved tactic (heals 1 wound+1 body effect) to another agent (nobium or the infiltrator). Same: healing with "+2 hits" changes a lot of things. That's at least 3 wounds healed at once. You don't even need this alien weapon for healing, the improved is enought. General rule: if some of your tactic are not used 2-3 times each mission, take another next try.
-Remember to spread your agents in this mission, because the
-Killing all aliens is pointless. Only kill the strongest. I suggest blue alien alpha, one of each digger unit, blue delta (lethal hurts), blue nexus if possible... and deal with the others.
-Usually aliens are less dangerous at some ranges. a spider is not dangerous at range 2, for example (it will only shoot endlessly a weak web). A drone placed a range "2" will stuck it for the entire game. In that particular mission, you can avoid the blue spider to move from the beginning of the game: just always stay at range 2, and place a drone there when you decide to move to rush the base (your inflitator may stay at range 2, because the alien range weapon against the +2 defense dices of "prone" will not be a problem at all).
Same, diggers only make 2 hits if one of the miniature is dead in each unit. Poison may be ignored if your tank has toughtness, and they are then minor threats, because they don't even engage your agents!
-Sometimes, "critical hits" may make your day easier. A flying critter with -1 attack dice is no more the same beast.
-If you keep 5 aliens alive, usually you will have 0 signals teleported during the game. If an event brings more, just kill those over 5. That's why it may be intresting to have only 4 agents: one less alien you have to deal with. I rarely have to shuffle the signal pool.
-If you have a biotech, take all possible drones. Drones are not only free attacks. They are meatshield and lures. Sometimes, a well placed drone will be attacked instead of an agent, which is more effective than healing this agent (you can do both, too). They allow your agents to stay out of melee, too.
-Missions goes before killing aliens. I don't remember well, but i don't think you have to kill the nexus: just focus on the generators then.

My two cents!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archange227 wrote:
-Toughness nullifies poison and other "critical bod conditions": one of your agent should always have it!

Just FYI, poison is not a body condition (see p. 27, section 9.3.2 of the Tactical Rulebook), so Toughness doesn't affect it (it does apply to red critical tokens, though, since they are explicitly defined as body conditions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Effectively, i don't see it described as "body condition".
On the other hand, it is in chapter 9.3 "agent's condition.

So poison would be an "agent's condition", but not an "agent body condition"? I find it a bit weird

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Mendes
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thanks for the tips. I'll take another crack at it tonight, and I'll mix in Mercury for Satellite Strike. I didn't even think of that, but it makes sense in this mission because the Nexi can't move and the door locks are in the same area as each other. If Mercury uses Satellite Strike on a shield generator, and then retrieves another Satellite Strike from the warehouse after exchanging 4 tech fragments and uses it on the doors, that'll make things much easier.

Also, one rule I've just realized I've been playing wrong this whole time is the Nexus' Alien Armor ability. I was wondering why some of the bosses had a similar ability under a different name, and then re-reading the Nexus card, I realized that Alien Armor only reduces hits from human weapons, not Alien weapons. That makes the Blue Nexus a little less awful to fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.