GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,871 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Evolution» Forums » General

Subject: 2nd edition graphic design rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Phan
msg tools
mbmb
I just got my 2nd edition upgrade cards! The new art is great. But even better is that the graphic design decisions that were made with the new cards! The arrows are a bit less artsy, but much more clearly seen as a game element. I'm a bit iffy on the leafy border though. It feels a bit harder to see vs the original leaf icon. But I see that it no longer gets confused for the new arrows. But best of all, is the new color coding or the borders! I'm a little surprised that the updated rulebook makes no mention to what they mean.

To the best of my ability this is what I think they mean:
Red: Buffs carnivores
White: Defense against carnivores (which is awesome because now you can easily see from across the table if a species is attack-able)
Green: Affects food
Yellow: Affects population

With that, I had a few (honestly nitpicky) questions:
The Rapid Mutation promo is yellow, but doesn't affect population. Why? My best guess is it was better to just make it yellow than the other three or having to introduce a new color... and it's not around long enough to matter too much?

Any plans to print an updated Unstable DNA promo with a non-white color and leafy border?

Shouldn't the Flight tile in the expansion be half red and half white, similar to Climbing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Yellow is something that triggers during the "reveal traits" phase, not necessarily food-related.

White seems to be the color for anything that isn't in another category, not just defensive cards.

Edit: I also love the color coding on the 2d ed cards. Super helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
thephanman wrote:

Red: Buffs carnivores
White: Defense against carnivores
Green: Affects food
Yellow: Affects population or other

With that, I had a few (honestly nitpicky) questions:
The Rapid Mutation promo is yellow, but doesn't affect population. Why? My best guess is it was better to just make it yellow than the other three or having to introduce a new color... and it's not around long enough to matter too much?

See my above addition to your list.

thephanman wrote:
Any plans to print an updated Unstable DNA promo with a non-white color and leafy border?

No. All of the promo cards are limited edition and will never get reprinted. It is possible though, that we will use the promo card ideas in a future expansion. When that happens we will commission new art for the cards and possibly make modification to the text.

thephanman wrote:
Shouldn't the Flight tile in the expansion be half red and half white, similar to Climbing?

That's a very good point. I think we overlooked it because the Flight trait is not on the graphic file as the rest of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.