GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,946 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Munchkin» Forums » General

Subject: Which deluxe versions should I get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Bui
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the deluxe version of munchkin as a present from my girlfriend. It is a fun game and I enjoy it. I wanted to get more expansions to it, but there are so many out there. So I would like to stick to the deluxe versions to hopefully get as much content as I can. My question is which are the better ones to buy? Please let me know your opinions. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vbui0803 wrote:
I just got the deluxe version of munchkin as a present from my girlfriend. It is a fun game and I enjoy it. I wanted to get more expansions to it, but there are so many out there. So I would like to stick to the deluxe versions to hopefully get as much content as I can. My question is which are the better ones to buy? Please let me know your opinions. Thanks

There are two paths to take from here:

1. Focus on core games only. In that case select a Deluxe that most excites you. OR skip a Deluxe and buy a standard size ($25) core. You can always reuse the board and standies you already have to track levels.

2. Extend the game you already bought. Munchkin 2 is the logical next step.

If you shoot me an email at phil@sjgames.com we may be able to help you decide what to grab next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Can anyone name another CEO with products in Target and Walmart that will invite a personal email for product advice on a Saturday morning the week after an office flood? Either that's crazy customer service or N/A is a celebrity I haven't heard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

To get back on topic I think the "what do I buy" question has the same answer as the perennial Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations vs Thunderbolt Apache Leader question: all are great, buy the one you're interested in, you'l probably but the others at some point.

Each Munchkin has some different rules to reflect their them: pirates and spacemen need ships, super heroes need powers, and in the apocalypse the world could end before you get to level 10. I very much like that the game lets you *feel* the theme, and not just see it reflected in the artwork and puns. So theme is in the driver seat, you won't be disappointed if you buy the Munchkin that matches your DVD or book collection.

If you're asking about gameplay entirely with respect to theme I think Munchkin Apocalypse deserves a close look. The fact that the game can end two different ways leading to two different victory evaluations makes for really interesting play. You can see both end games coming to some extent, and you have *ver* limited control over them, but it would be very tough to be in a position to win either way. From a purely game play point of view this is pretty cool.

But if you like Pirates and want to have a ship and do piratey things you should follow your bliss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

Can anyone name another CEO with products in Target and Walmart that will invite a personal email for product advice on a Saturday morning the week after an office flood? Either that's crazy customer service or N/A is a celebrity I haven't heard.

Ha! I try not to think of it that way.

Just trying to make sure we're here to help out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Furious
msg tools
I recommend not buying anything else. Munchkin is really fun at first, but it gets old pretty quickly. My friends and I jumped into the game and we were buying box sets and expansions but after a couple of months, we were done with it. The jokes stop being funny and the game isn't particularly complex and the same thing happens every game with one person about to win and getting ganged up on and then another almost wins and gets ganged up on until everyone runs out of cards to stop someone from winning. There's very little strategy to it. I fell into the Munchkin Trap, but it wasn't worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

That is far from a universal experience. I've met dozens of people who have played hundreds of games. Some people enjoy the cartoons and move on, but I've met groups that play every day at lunch for years and families that regularly play different Munchkins over an evening.

If it does get samey and adding an expansion does not solve it, maybe you and your friends have figured each other out and you need fresh blood and fresh approaches. That's if you liked it at first. For people who simply never liked Munchkin they simply need a different cup of tea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
For people who simply never liked Munchkin they simply need a different cup of tea.

That's where the fun of other games + Munchkin comes into our plans.

Smash Up: Munchkin
Munchkin Gloom
Munchkin Panic
Love Letter

And we're not done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.