GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,574 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Rune Age» Forums » General

Subject: So, if I dislike Dominion... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
...and like Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin, and really like Ascension: Storm of Souls, and Eminent Domain. And I like the idea of being able to play solo do you think I'd like Rune Age?

Thunderstone, I think is just overwhelming when I think about playing it. There's maybe too much to set up. I want quick set up/tear down.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
...and like Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin, and really like Ascension: Storm of Souls, and Eminent Domain. And I like the idea of being able to play solo do you think I'd like Rune Age?

Thunderstone, I think is just overwhelming when I think about playing it. There's maybe too much to set up. I want quick set up/tear down.

What do you think?

For me, it is very difficult to answer...
What do you like so much in those games? Finding powerful combos for example? Something else?
I am not familiar with Eminent Domain, what is that appeals to you in the gameplay?

Rune Age is a strange game. Some could argue it is not even a deckbuilding game.
I read that Eminent Domain is not a deckbuilding game but action selection if I remember correctly. With deckbuilding elements.

That's why I am asking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Alabaster Smitty
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do keep in mind there are limited options in Rune Age for playing solo as it is based upon scenarios. There are some custom/non-official ones out there that would expand upon this, but in-the-box there is limited solo play.

I enjoy most deck-builders and have not been able to get Rune Age to the table enough at all, so I can't say well enough if it would satisfy you, but I also own Dominion, Thunderstone Advance, and Star Realms and enjoy all of those.

If it's the lack of theme in Dominion that you miss, Rune Age has more of that, more like Thunderstone Advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only speak to my own thoughts. I dislike deckbuilders, and I love rune age. It does however require the expansion, don't get it without it. I also play with "epic" variant from thunderstone. The scenario system in the game is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the setup for Rune Age is pretty simple, and I vastly prefer it to Dominion. Even with just the solo scenarios, there's a good amount of variety, but the competitive scenarios are really fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune Age setup is pretty fast for me. I can go from box to playing in under 10 minutes. But I play it a lot, which contributes to that.

Like others here in this thread, I'm curious what it is you like about the other games. It sounds to me, though, that Rune Age will be a good fit for you. First off, if you already enjoy those other games, Rune Age will be competing for play time with those games, meaning you're unlikely to exhaust Rune Age too quickly and become bored* of it. Also, since you're looking for solo play, you are getting 2 scenarios with 4 factions (or 6 with the expansion) meaning you basically have 8-12 scenarios to choose from when playing. And that's only considering solo! There's a lot to explore here and with the more limited card pool, setup is probably faster (but I can't say for sure having not played other deck-builders).

*Lots of people feel that Rune Age is too shallow and that you've "figured it out" after playing a few games with each faction, but this has been my number 1 most-played game in my library since I bought it 2 or 3 years ago. I still haven't grown bored of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Humpty__Dumpty wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
It does however require the expansion, don't get it without it. I also play with "epic" variant from thunderstone.

Do you mean that you play Rune Age with the Epic variant? And if so, how does this work?

I think Rune Age is a much underrated game. There is a lot of variety from the scenarios, allowing you to adjust the amount of conflict. I agree the expansion is close to essential. My main criticism is that the races aren't so well balanced, though this varies depending on the scenario.

Shuffled up all the neutral cards into one pile. Put them out ascension style for buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for answering! So, what I like/dislike about the other games I mentioned:

Dominion for me is repetitive and boring. There's nothing to hook me into the game. Now, I've only played base Dominion, but I'm not interested in trying anything else.

Thunderstone Advance is interesting as you can go to town, or go to the dungeon, your characters can improve, and become stronger. The downside is that the setup is a bit of a chore. I like the fantasy theme however.

Ascension is great because set up is quick. The game is smooth. The rules aren't too complex (though I haven't bothered with the most recent few versions/expansions). I like the middle row and how you don't know what will be next.

Eminent Domain has an interesting theme of space exploration/colonization. I like the cards that you can "purchase" once you have colonized/invaded the requisite number of planets, and have gathered the proper resources. They allow powerful abilities, which is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro F
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
Thanks for answering! So, what I like/dislike about the other games I mentioned:

Dominion for me is repetitive and boring. There's nothing to hook me into the game. Now, I've only played base Dominion, but I'm not interested in trying anything else.

Thunderstone Advance is interesting as you can go to town, or go to the dungeon, your characters can improve, and become stronger. The downside is that the setup is a bit of a chore. I like the fantasy theme however.

Ascension is great because set up is quick. The game is smooth. The rules aren't too complex (though I haven't bothered with the most recent few versions/expansions). I like the middle row and how you don't know what will be next.

Eminent Domain has an interesting theme of space exploration/colonization. I like the cards that you can "purchase" once you have colonized/invaded the requisite number of planets, and have gathered the proper resources. They allow powerful abilities, which is fun.

Seems like Rune Age is down your ally. There is a couple of (incomplete, a player get deleted) play by forum. You can check there if it sounds fun to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eternal
msg tools
Humpty__Dumpty wrote:
My main criticism is that the races aren't so well balanced, though this varies depending on the scenario.

Some argue that factions with better early games have lacking late game and that part of the fun is that the former try to stop the rise of the latter.

But if you want to see balanced late games, I recommend you take a look at a variant I proposed here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1404038/variant-units-ba...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.