GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,804 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Empire of the Sun» Forums » General

Subject: Impossible progress of war situation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yiannis Hadjikyriakou
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the AP and we're coming to the end of turn 3 of the 1942 campaign. On turn 4 I'm going to have 3 ASPs or 4 if I play Booz. He is stalled in DEI and may just take it at the end of the turn, but I'm thinking not - it's going to be close. He hasn't started the Burma offensive and only holds Rabaul in the South Pacific apart from initial Japanese imperial holdings.

So, since I only have 2-step land units, I will be able to conduct 1 or 2 amphibious invasions only. The only places where there are more than one eligible objective on contiguous land spaces are all distant and heavily defended, in the heart of his conquered territories, and effectively suicide (e.g. Borneo, Philippines, Malaya).

I just can't see how it is possible to make PoW on my turn 4, and I'm thinking of just accepting the hit and not even trying (PW=+6 currently). Of course things will evolve as turn 4 unfolds, but based on his likely moves and the current board position, I can't really see how it is going to dramatically change my PoW situation.

I'm still thinking of playing Booz for the event as I can't see how I can take 3 PoW objectives with 3 ASPs, so might as well have 5 ASPs for turn 5 to make it easier then.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steidl
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are many 2-step land units that only require 1 ASP for an AA. These include the 4-6 and 8-8 US brigades, the 9-12 NZ division, and the US Marine divisions. ONLY full-strength corps require 2 ASPs.

And if you put Booz into FO and play it on turn 4, you will have 4 ASPs to make 3 PoW.

At this point, I assume you have someone defending Guadalcanal so he can't complete the Mandates. If he doesn't complete DEI until next turn, he's probably not going to be able to take Burma as well, so he'll have 1 VP for dropping your PW to 5. Looks like you can afford to miss PoW and still win the game, but it's still good practice to look for some things you could grab if he doesn't have them covered: Iwo Jima, Marcus or something in the Marshalls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Hadjikyriakou
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

How embarrassing! blush Just reread the relevant rule. First time I'm playing the Allies (not counting one turn about 4 years ago!) so was thinking in terms of Japanese armies! That explains why it was looking so difficult!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Hadjikyriakou
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsteidl wrote:

And if you put Booz into FO and play it on turn 4, you will have 4 ASPs to make 3 PoW.

Nice manoeuvre!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steidl
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Constans wrote:

How embarrassing! blush Just reread the relevant rule. First time I'm playing the Allies (not counting one turn about 4 years ago!) so was thinking in terms of Japanese armies! That explains why it was looking so difficult!

Not at all. It's easy to miss stuff like this, and that's the whole point of having a place like this to come and say "what am I missing here..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.