Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Crawford
United States
Chester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I have almost every grand strategic world war II game ever made and I can not get my head around the rules for this game. I've played WiF, Unconditional Surrender, Totaler Krieg, AETO, Days of Decision, etc. Gathering Storm is badly in need of an example of play. Can anybody point me to one? I want to try this game, but I've hit a stone wall.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
www.gatheringstorm.org has a few resources, but not a detailed example of play.

I finally got the game set up on my big table, so if I make headway I'll do my best to help within a week or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
St.John Wright
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope someone at GMT is checking these forums; GS desperately needs a rules makeover!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Am out this week, but I'll do up an example of what happens during the next turn of my solo game when I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
Chester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may help:

http://www.gatheringstorm.org/Reading/index_GameReports.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have done up a draft of a detailed Sequence of Play in a manner similar to AWAW's Sequence of Play. I will upload it onto BGG once it has been reviewed by the design team.

Example of a game turn to follow soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am going to break the game turn example by phase:

==========================================================================

TURN EXAMPLE: FALL 1936

Situation update (end of Summer 1936):

Mobilizations:
- Germany: one civilian factory conversion, and one military mobilization (one armor, infantry and air unit each);
- Italy: one military mobilization (one armor, three air);
- Britain: one civilian factory conversion, and one military mobilization (one armor, two air);
- France: one military mobilization (one armor, one air)
- Russia: one military mobilization (one armor, infantry and air each);

Research:
A) Axis:
- Battleship design (Germany): seven steps;
- Battleship design (Italy) : six steps;
- Advanced submarines: five steps;
- German armor, rockets, economic preparation: four steps each;
- Jets, torpedoes: three steps each;
- Air transports, submarines, Italian armor, specialized units, counter intelligence, espionage: two steps each;
- West Wall, covert operations, codebreaking: one step each;

B) Allies:
- Battleship design (both), ASW research: six steps each;
- Economic preparation: five steps;
- Air range, Maginot Line: four steps each;
- British armor, radar, counter intelligence, codebreaking: three steps each;
- French armor, specialized units, covert operations, espionage: two steps each;
- Jets, atomic research: one step each;

C) Russia:
- Armor, economic preparation: three steps each;
- Covert operations, espionage: two steps each;
- Specialized units, counter intelligence: one step each;

Aggressions:
- Rhineland remilitarized in Spring 1936 (Germany);
- Ethiopia conquered in Winter 1935 (Italy);

Fall 1936 At Start:

Germany scenario card

Support Level = +2:
- +1 for four military factories;
- +1 for one Axis flag in Russia;

Added Income = +3:
- +1 for Austria trade pact;
- +2 for Economic Climate of +3;

Italy scenario card

Support Level = +2:
- +1 for conquest of Ethiopia;

Added Income = +3:
- +1 for Hungary trade pact;
- +1 for Albania trade pact;
- +1 for Economic Climate of +3;

Russia scenario card

Support Level = -3:
- -1 for low cohesion;
- -1 for Russian Garrison deficit of two units (reflected in the lower half of the scenario card);
- -1 for one Axis flag in Russia;

Added Income = 0:

Russian Garrison requirements:
- +8 Japanese units;
- +1 for Axis armor Balance of Power advantage of 1;
- +2 for Axis infantry Balance of Power advantage of 2;
- +1 for two Allied flags in Poland;

Russia Purge Level = 8;

Britain scenario card

Support Level = 0;

Added Income = +4:
- +2 for Spain trade pact;
- +2 for Economic Climate of +3;

France scenario card

Support Level = +1:

Added Income = +6:
- +1 for Yugoslavia trade pact;
- +1 for Czechoslovakia trade pact;
- +1 for Belgium/Luxembourg trade pact;
- +1 for Greece trade pact;
- +1 for Norway trade pact;
- +1 for Economic Climate of +3;

Balance of Power charts

Balance of Power = +1 Axis:
- Armor = +1 Axis for two excess Axis armor units built;
- Infantry = +2 Axis for four excess Axis infantry units built;
- Air = Even
- Naval = -2 Allied for four excess counters for launched naval ships and research results;

Turn track, with mobilized units. The Balance of Power, EAI and Economic Climate tracks are also shown.

The following is shown in the image above:
- Generated units from Winter 1935 mobilizations will be added to Reserve status of respective major powers' scenario cards in Winter 1936 and Summer 1937;
- Balance of Power marker reflecting +1 Axis advantage;
- European Aggression Index (EAI) of -3 from random event effects and Economic Climate of +3 in Summer 1936 -- these are indicated through temporary modifiers;

Game map

Diplomatic status (from top-left to bottom-right):

- Ireland: two Allied flags;
- Spain: three Allied flags (Britain gets the trade pact);
- Belgium/Luxembourg: three Allied flags (France gets the trade pact);
- Rhineland: Remilitarized by Germany;
- Norway: three Allied flags (France gets the trade pact);
- Sweden: two Axis flags;
- Finland: two Axis flags;
- Austria: three Axis flags (Germany gets the trade pact);
- Czechoslovakia: four Allied flags (France gets the trade pact);
- Poland: two Allied flags;
- Hungary: four Axis flags (Italy gets the trade pact);
- Yugoslavia: three Allied flags (France gets the trade pact);
- Albania: three Axis flags (Italy gets the trade pact);
- Greece: three Allied flags, one Russian flag (France gets the trade pact);
- Bulgaria: no flags;
- Rumania: no flags;
- Russia: one Axis flag;
- Turkey: one Axis flag;

PLAYER TURN:

1) Random Event phase:
- Place top-most Random Event card from draw deck face up (9.12);
- Deal one Random Event card face down to each major power (any sequence) (9.13);
- Draw and resolve purge card (Russia only) (22.4);

General (top-left) and National Random Events, and Purge cards (Russia only) drawn for the turn (shown face-up here for illustration purposes)

Note: To view the text on each card, click on the image above, and select "Original" mode.

The top left-most card is the General Random Event card that applies to all players for the turn (rules 9.2 and 9.3), so we will play it for the Economic Trend and General Random Event which is the top-most event stated on the card:
- Firstly, a temporary EAI modifier that was in effect during the previous turn is removed from the board, per rule 23.24;
- Next, the first card states that Economic Climate approaches zero, so the Economic Climate marker on the map is moved from +3 to +2 in this turn.
- With this, EAI is no longer affected by the Economic Climate so the EAI Economic Climate modifier is removed from the board. This leads to a further increase in EAI, since EAI is inversely affected by the Economic Climate when the latter is extreme.
- Note also that each major power's added income from the Economic Climate level is not impacted since each receives the same added income as before the change, i.e. Germany and Britain receive two added income, while France and Italy receive one added income;
- The General Random Event is a diplomatic event which requires the Axis to place at least one diplomatic counter in either Hungary or Rumania, and Russia or Allies placing at least one diplomatic counter in the other minor country during the diplomatic phase. This will be touched on in more detail;
- The General Random Event increases EAI by an additional one. Since this negates the sole remaining temporary modifier, the remaining temporary modifier is removed. Hence, the EAI for the turn is zero:

Updated Economic Climate and EAI tracks

The other cards to the right and below of the first card are the Random Events for the major powers. These cards will be played for their respective National Random Events. Most of the National Random Events in this turn are shaded in grey -- these represent secret Random Events which can be concealed by the players and revealed during the turn when relevant. On the other hand, Russia's National Random Event is unshaded and is not a secret Random Event.

Based on rule 9.41, there are various types of National Random Events which will determine when they can be played during the turn. So which phase can each major power play its Random Event card?

- Germany's National Random Event affects Greece diplomatically, so the German player can conceal the event for the time being and play it at the end of the diplomatic phase;
- Italy's National Random Event is a secret Support event, which gives it a lot of flexibility in deciding when to play the event. Since changes in support level directly impacts national income, Italy is only compelled to play the Random Event if the income from the effects of the Random Event is used. However, the effect of the Random Event will lower Italy's support level by -2, so the Italian player opts to play the Random Event during the crisis phase to conceal its existence for most of the turn;
- The decision for Russia is simple -- its National Random Event has to be played at the start of the income phase since the event impacts its national income;
- France and Britain's National Random Events are research effects, so these will be played at the end of the research phase.

Russia also draws and plays a Purge card for the turn (the card is shown to the left of its Random Event card in the image above). The effect of this card requires the Russian player to move one unit counter from Active status to Reserve. While this reduces Russia's maintenance cost by one, the resulting addition to the Russian garrison deficit leads to an additional drop in Russia's support level (now to -4) which negates its income increase from the reduced maintenance cost. The Russian player tracks the increase in the purge level of one (indicated by the value in the red circle on the Purge card) by adjusting the Purge marker at the bottom of the scenario card -- after this, Russia now needs one more purge event to hit the minimum of ten purge events that is required to achieve medium cohesion.

The purge prohibits Russia from placing military counters during the diplomatic phase, though this should be of little impact for this turn:

Russia scenario card, after Purge Card effects
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Continued:

2) Income Phase:

In GS, economic, research, production, diplomatic and political activities require the expenditure of resources, which are measured by tile points.

At the start of each turn, each major power will draw tile points equal to its national income level, determined as follows:

Action Modifier
+ Income from civilian factories
+ Support level
+ Trade pacts
+ Additional tile draws
+/- Economic climate effects
+/- Random events effects
- Maintenance costs
= National income

Per rule 11.2B, maintenance costs are reduced by one for each military factory.

Germany:
- +12 from six civilian factories;
- +2 from support level;
- +1 from trade pacts;
- +3 from random tile draw;
- +2 from Economic Climate effects;
- 0 from Random Events effects;
- -5 from maintenance costs, i.e. nine active units - four military factories;
= 15 national income

Italy:
- +4 from two civilian factories;
- +2 from support level;
- +2 from trade pacts;
- +1 from random tile draw;
- +1 from Economic Climate effects;
- -1 from maintenance costs;
= 9 national income

Russia:
- +10 from five civilian factories;
- -4 from support level (-1 for low cohesion, -1 for Axis flag in Russia, -2 from Russian Garrison deficit);
- 0 from trade pacts;
- +2 from random tile draw;
- 0 from Economic Climate effects (Russia's national income is not affected by Economic Climate);
- -2 from Random Events effects (remember Russia's National Random Event?);
- -2 from maintenance costs;
= 4 national income

Britain:
- +10 from five civilian factories;
- 0 from support level;
- +2 from trade pacts (Spain trade pact is worth two tile points);
- +3 from random tile draw;
- +2 from Economic Climate effects;
- -1 from maintenance costs;
= 16 national income

France:
- +4 from two civilian factories;
- +1 from support level;
- +5 from trade pacts;
- +1 from random tile draw;
- +1 from Economic Climate effects;
- 0 from maintenance costs;
= 12 national income
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Continued:

3) Economic Phase:

This phase is carried out secretly by all players, and revealed at the end of the phase. For clarity, the decisions in each segment have been laid out in advance to illustrate their effects on gameplay.

A) Industrial Segment:

This segment is concerned with factory conversions (idle to civilian) and mobilizations (idle or civilian, to military). Each civilian factory conversion costs ten tile points, while each mobilization costs nine tile points this turn (i.e. basic ten tile points, -1 for 1936) per rule 14.31:

- Germany: mobilization (idle to military) (requiring nine tile points)
- Italy: none
- Russia: none
- Britain: mobilization (civilian to military) (requiring nine tile points)
- France: none

The following German and British units are mobilized in accordance with rules 14.71 and 14.73 respectively:
- Germany: one armor unit, one infantry unit and one air unit;
- Britain: one armor unit, and two air units;

Britain also gets a +1 to its support level for having four military factories.

Germany scenario card, after mobilization

Britain scenario card, with an additional +1 support level after mobilization

Turn track, with mobilized units added to track delay

B) Research Segment:

In this segment, each alliance may research one or more eligible projects by assigning research points from its basic research point allocation, plus activity counters used for research. Each major power can assign at most one basic activity counter for research, plus an additional counter from additional civilian factories per rule 15.22A:

AXIS:
- Germany: "3" activity counter + "1" additional research counter from having six civilian factories (requiring four tile points);
- Italy: "1" activity counter (requiring one tile point);

ALLIES:
- Britain: "1" activity counter (requiring one tile point);
- France: "2" activity counter (requiring two tile points);

RUSSIA:
- None

Once total research points allocations are determined, each alliance assigns its available research points to research projects based on rule 15.23, summarized as follows for each alliance:

- Maximum of one research point allocated per project (exceptions being research points from spy rings and civil war interventions);
- 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th research point must be assigned to the first three steps of a research project;
- 2nd, 5th, and 8th research point may be assigned to any of the first six steps of a research project;
- 3rd, 6th, and 9th research point may be assigned to any step of a research project;
- The three point-related restrictions immediately above apply only to the basic non-intelligence research points, and any additional research points from activity counters. These restrictions do not apply to basic intelligence points, or the German advanced research point;
- The basic Italian/French research points must be allocated to purely Italian/French research projects until all eligible projects have been completed;
- The basic intelligence point must be allocated to one of many specified intelligence research projects, of which the selected project must have the fewest research points in it up to that point in the game. This also prohibits the assignment of an normal research point to the selected project;
- The German advanced research point must be assigned to one project out of jets, advanced submarines or rockets, of which the selected project must have the fewest research points in it up to that point in the game. This also prohibits the assignment of an normal research point to the selected project;

AXIS:
i) Research Points available for allocation:
- 2 German basic points, plus 4 more from activity counters;
- 1 Italian basic point, plus 1 more from activity counters;
- 1 intelligence point;
- 1 German advanced point;

ii) Research Point allocation:
- 1st: 1 basic German point to "Air Transports" (progress: 2 steps -> 3 steps);
- 2nd: 1 basic German point to "Torpedoes" (progress: 3 steps -> 4 steps);
- 3rd: 1 basic Italian point to "Italian Battleship Design" (progress: 6 steps -> 7 steps);
- 4th: 1 additional German point to "West Wall" (progress: 1 step -> 2 steps);
- 5th: 1 additional German point to "Economic Preparation" (progress: 4 steps -> 5 steps);
- 6th: 1 additional German point to "German Battleship Design" (progress: 7 steps -> 8 steps);
- 7th: 1 additional Italian point to "Italian Armor" (progress: 2 steps -> 3 steps);
- 8th: 1 additional German point to "Advanced Submarines" (progress: 5 steps -> 6 steps) (result achieved -- Axis research marker added to naval Balance of Power);
- 1 intelligence point to "Covert Operations"(progress: 1 step -> 2 steps);
- 1 German advanced point to "Jets" (progress: 3 steps -> 4 steps);

ALLIES:
- 2 British basic points, plus 1 more from activity counters;
- 1 French basic point, plus 2 more from activity counters;
- 1 intelligence point;

- 1st: 1 basic French point to "French Armor" (progress: 2 steps -> 3 steps);
- 2nd: 1 additional French point to "Maginot Line" (progress: 4 steps -> 5 steps);
- 3rd: 1 additional French point to "ASW Research" (progress: 6 steps -> 7 steps);
- 4th: 1 basic British point to "ASW Production" (progress: 0 step -> 1 step);
- 5th: 1 additional British point to "Economic Preparation" (progress: 5 steps -> 6 steps) (result achieved -- "1" activity counter added to British activity counter pool);
- 6th: 1 additional British point to "French Battleship Design" (progress: 6 steps -> 7 steps);
- 1 intelligence point to "Espionage"(progress: 2 steps -> 3 steps);

RUSSIA:
- 1 Russia basic point;
- 1 intelligence point;

- 1st: 1 basic point to "Specialized Units" (progress: 1 step -> 2 steps);
- 1 intelligence point to "Counter-Intelligence" (progress: 1 step -> 2 steps);

Research may also be augmented by random events, such as the Allies' National Random Events for this turn. These have a cumulative effect in addition to any research points which are allocated to the projects, per the example following rule 15.63. Hence, the Allies advance their "Maginot Line" and the British' "Battleship Design" research projects by an additional step each, and achieve a research result in the former which gives France an additional +1 support level with the associated income increase for the rest of this turn:

Naval Balance of Power, with additional Axis counter from "Advanced Submarines" research result

France scenario card, with additional +1 support level from "Maginot Line" research result

C) Construction Segment:

In this segment, each player makes decisions relating to unit construction and shipbuilding in secret. Each built armor, air or infantry unit requires the use of two activity counter points and tile points, and not more than one unit of each type can be built in a turn. Shipbuilding costs are equal to the size of the ship being built, adjusted for the EAI level (-1 for each +1 EAI level, and vice versa).

Per rule 10.92, Russia is compelled to build at least one unit due to its negative support level:

- Germany: launches one BC3, and continues construction of a second BC3 (requiring six tile points);
- Italy: lays down a new BB4 (requiring four tile points);
- Russia: builds one armor and air unit each (requiring four tile points);
- Britain: lays down two new BB4s (requiring eight tile points);
- France: builds one air unit (requiring two tile points);

France scenario card, after unit builds

The two new Russian units are added to the Russian Garrison to reduce the deficit to one, and raise its support level by the same amount:

Russia scenario card, after unit builds

One Allied air counter is added to the air Balance of Power chart for the French air unit build.

Per rule 19.81, two Axis naval counters are laid down on the naval Balance of Power chart for the launched German BC3 and the laying of a new Italian BB4, and two Allied naval counters are laid down for the laying of two new British BB4s.

Per rule 19.9, the Allies enjoy an additional Balance of Power modifier as they are now ahead in (4-factor) modern battleship construction, so the pro-Allied Battleship Race marker is placed on the Balance of Power chart:

Updated Balance of Power charts, with additional air and naval counters

Disregarding the naval Balance of Power result, the Axis armor + air + infantry Balance of Power advantage is reduced from +3 to +2 due to the French build, so this removes one Axis counter from the Russian Garrison track which reduces the deficit to zero and removes the -1 to Russia's support level that is associated with this deficit:

Russia scenario card, with updated Russian Garrison track

At the end of the Economic Phase:
- Germany and Britain announce their mobilizations, and declare the creation of their respective mobilized units;
- Britain and France reveal their Research National Random Events;
- The Axis and Allied alliances announce their research results in "Advanced Submarines", "Economic Preparation" and "Maginot Line" projects;
- All major powers announce unit construction and shipbuilding, where applicable;
- All major powers pay the cost of tile point expenditures for each segment;
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Continued:

4) Diplomatic Phase:

During this phase, players can attempt to influence minor countries diplomatically. Diplomatic efforts can be made through the use of activity counters for diplomacy, other counters such as military counters and the anti-Comintern counter, and Diplomatic Random Events. Diplomatic results allow for the placement of flags in the minor countries:
- Per 11.61, if an alliance has three or more flags in a minor country, the major power in that alliance which has the most flags in the country is deemed to have a trade pact with the country. Each trade pact increases the major power's national income by 1;
- Per rules 28.3 and 28.4, diplomatic flags in minor countries and their neighbours affect their resistance levels during the crisis phase, should an Axis major power carry out an aggression;

In addition to diplomatic counters, Germany may place an anti-Comintern counter in a minor country bordering Russia (per rule 24.3). Military counters may also be placed in minor countries, provided certain requirements are met (24.4).

Following rule 24.55 and the Diplomatic Sequence of Play, the order of diplomatic counter placement is as follows:

- Germany and Italy initially may each place one diplomatic counter in an eligible minor country, plus any additional diplomatic counters and diplomatic counters in minor countries containing Axis spy rings or in which a civil war is being fought;
- Russia then places up to two diplomatic counters;
- Britain and France then place up to two diplomatic counters each;
- Lastly, Germany and Italy may each then place one additional diplomatic counter, provided the placing Axis major power placed at least one diplomatic counter initially.

While diplomatic counter placements are open, the values of the diplomatic counters placed are kept secret until all diplomatic counters are placed and diplomacy is resolved. However, all diplomatic counters have been placed face up to illustrate the gameplay.

Diplomatic placements:
a) Germany places the anti-Comintern counter in Rumania, as per rule 24.34 which governs the use of this counter;
b) With Hungary safely under Axis diplomatic influence (i.e. four Axis flags), Germany places a "2" activity counter in Rumania, as required by the General Random Event for the turn.
- Per rule 24.35, this displaces the anti-Comintern counter which is relocated to Turkey;
c) Italy then places a "1" activity counter in Finland, which will be sufficient to secure the trade pact if left unopposed by the Allies or Russia;
d) Russia places a "1" activity counter in each of Finland (to resist the Axis diplomatic attempt) and Turkey (to counter the anti-Comintern counter);
e) With the Axis supporting Rumania, Britain places a "1" activity counter in Hungary as required by the General Random Event. A British "2" activity counter is also placed in Ireland in an attempt to secure the minor country's trade pact;
f) France places a military counter in Belgium/Luxembourg since it now meets the requirements for doing so. It also places "2" activity counter in Austria to threaten Germany's trade pact with the minor country;
g) Italy now places a "2" activity counter in Spain to remove the British trade pact.
h) Germany opts not to place any more activity counters, as it has run out of eligible non-zero counters to place;

Germany reveals its Diplomatic National Random Event, which has the effect of a diplomatic counter placement in Greece. However, this brings the minor country one step closer to civil war, as per rule 25.31:

Game map showing placements of the anti-Comintern and activity counters used for diplomacy, and Diplomatic Random Event in Greece

At the end of the diplomacy phase:
- All diplomatic counters placed in minor countries are turned over so their values are revealed;
- Germany reveals its National Random Event for Greece;
- Covert operations (16.16A) and Russian subversion (16.16H) are conducted, if any (none for this turn);

Diplomacy is resolved per rule 24.8, as follows:
- Ireland: Britain achieves a diplomatic result. A third British flag is placed, and Britain obtains a trade pact with the minor country to increase its national income by one in the next turn;
- Spain: Italy achieves a diplomatic result. A British flag is removed as it has more flags in the minor country of the two Allies, and Britain loses its trade pact with the minor country. Britain's national income decreases by two in the next turn from the loss of the trade pact;
- Belgium/Luxembourg: France achieves a diplomatic result. A fourth French flag is placed in the minor country. No other effect takes place;
- Austria: France achieves a diplomatic result. A German flag is removed, and Germany loses its trade pact with the minor country. Germany's national income decreases by one in the next turn from the loss of the trade pact;
- Hungary: Britain achieves a diplomatic result. A Italian flag is removed. No other effect takes place;
- Rumania: Germany achieves a diplomatic result. A German flag is placed in the minor country. No other effect takes place;
- Finland: No diplomatic result is achieved, as the Italian and Russian counters negate each other;
- Greece: Germany achieves a diplomatic result from the effects of its National Random Event, with no opposing diplomatic counter to negate the former. A French flag is removed, and France loses its trade pact with the minor country. Its national income decreases by one in the next turn from the loss of the trade pact;
- Turkey: No diplomatic result is achieved, as the anti-Comintern and Russian diplomatic counters negate each other.

Additionally, these results change the resistance levels of Austria, Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia against Axis aggressions, as per rules 28.3 and 28.4:

Game map, showing end results of the Diplomatic Phase

5) Crisis Phase:

The Axis may attempt to conquer or annex minor countries by conducting aggressions against them. Each Axis major power may carry out an aggression against one minor country per turn. If an aggression is carried out, the Allies are forced to respond. The process for resolving this phase is described in rules 26-29, which shall not be described here.

Suffice to say, the pro-Allied Balance of Power and support levels provide unfavourable conditions for any Axis aggressions, so no aggression is declared. However, as all Support Random Event cards have to be played by the end of this phase, Italy plays its National Random Event which lowers its support level by -2 (i.e. the inverse of the Economic Climate level) and loses two tile points.

This ends the Fall 1936 game turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are doing the lord's work Gary. This is much better than what I was planning to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
St.John Wright
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FuManchu wrote:
You are doing the lord's work Gary. This is much better than what I was planning to do.
Actually, I think he's doing the Designer's work. It's a shame we haven't seen him here since his rant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
SommeGrandads wrote:
FuManchu wrote:
Actually, I think he's doing the Designer's work. It's a shame we haven't seen him here since his rant.

That was really weird.

It made me feel "unqualified" to play.

Boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
St.John Wright
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtngrown wrote:
SommeGrandads wrote:
FuManchu wrote:

That was really weird.

It made me feel "unqualified" to play.

Boring.
What has made you feel this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
Chester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! The Example of Play is exactly what I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls