Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I posted this question as a reply in a thread on the Base Game+HQ+Recon forum, but I think it got lost there. (Too many forums for the expansion?)

In the Recon rules for the spy, there is a very simple phrase saying "In a given round, you may use the standard actions OR the spying action, but not both". I am confused by its meaning.

If it means that the spy may either use its special recon action or any standard actions on the spy card (dig, hunt, draw, etc), that seems a logical interpretation. However, there aren't really any standard actions on the card for the gathering phase, only a fight modifier for the skirmish. Even if you count that as a standard action, it's one action, not "actions". The spy can't do anything else.

The other possible interpretation is that you can do the recon action, or any standard actions that round from any card, but not both. That's a pretty drastic set of alternatives, so I doubt that's what it means, but the first interpretation doesn't really make much sense either bearing in mind what's on the card.

Is Robert around to clarify? I haven't attempted to play it yet; maybe it would become clear if I did.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Moose Malloy wrote:

In the Recon rules for the spy, there is a very simple phrase saying "In a given round, you may use the standard actions OR the spying action, but not both". I am confused by its meaning.

If it means that the spy may either use its special recon action or any standard actions on the spy card (dig, hunt, draw, etc), that seems a logical interpretation. However, there aren't really any standard actions on the card for the gathering phase, only a fight modifier for the skirmish. Even if you count that as a standard action, it's one action, not "actions". The spy can't do anything else.

Indeed the Spy only has a Fight bonus of +2 (adds to 'another' tribe members fight value) which they would use if they were saved (put forward) for the Skirmish round.

OR...

They may instead use a Spying action, after which they are discarded.

They can only do one or the other, but not both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Okay thanks, that seemed like the most likely interpretation; it was the use of "actions" that confused me. If that sentence wasn't in the rulebook, I'd have interpreted the usage of the card exactly as you said

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Moose Malloy wrote:
Okay thanks, that seemed like the most likely interpretation; it was the use of "actions" that confused me. If that sentence wasn't in the rulebook, I'd have interpreted the usage of the card exactly as you said

Or... The Trash action. The Build action. The Discard action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Ah yes, well, I suppose. I haven't actually got as far as Build in HQ (so maybe I shouldn't be worrying about spies just yet). Discard is not really an action, is it? I can use the recon action and discard it, or I can discard it, but not both

Thanks for confirming Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Gustafson
Australia
Alaska
flag msg tools
I think a comprehensive list of all actions you can perform with all cards at all times would be a good idea, for reference

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls