James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb

The elections are so far away - aren't we glad we have this guy to entertain us. The more he talks, though, the more he self-destructs

Trump barred from conservative gathering after latest barb

ATLANTA (AP) — Donald Trump opened his mouth and now finds the door closed to him at a high-profile gathering of conservative activists.

His latest incendiary comment, about one of the Fox News moderators from Thursday's Republican presidential debate, has led to a scolding by the party and condemnation by organizers of the RedState Gathering.

The billionaire businessman lashed out against Fox News' Megyn Kelly for her questions during the campaign's first debate. She had asked the candidate about his use of derogatory language toward women and whether it reflected the "temperament of a man we should elect as president."

Referring to Kelly's questions, Trump told CNN in an interview late Friday, "There was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever."

Soon after the interview aired, RedState's Erick Erickson booted Trump from the event's Saturday lineup.

"I just don't want someone on stage who gets a hostile question from a lady and his first inclination is to imply it was hormonal. It just was wrong," Erickson wrote on the RedState website.

Related story:

Is Trump Turning Into A President Or 'Just Another Politician'?

http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/08/07/430216...

It is possible that Donald Trump will look back on the first Republican presidential debate Thursday night in Cleveland and wish he had not taken part.

What has allowed Trump to defy the usual political laws of gravity is the uniqueness of his anti-politician posture. He was the guy who didn't talk like a politician. But as one debate watcher commented on Fox immediately after the debate, Trump wound up sidestepping questions like the biggest politician of all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erick Erickson called David Souter a "goat fucking child molester," called Michelle Obama a "Marxist harpy," called Wendy Davis "Abortion Barbie," and referred to the first night of the 2012 Democratic convention as "the Vagina Monologues" because it was dedicated to women speakers.

He is arguably the last person on earth who gets to complain about anybody else's choice of words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I think this is just playing right into Trump's hands, setting him up for a 3rd party run too. What better excuse to run as a 3rd party candidate by showing that the Republican party is trying to shut him out of the process?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump just needs to buy a nearby location and hold a bigger convention... done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Yeah I think this is just playing right into Trump's hands, setting him up for a 3rd party run too. What better excuse to run as a 3rd party candidate by showing that the Republican party is trying to shut him out of the process?

I don't think Trump has any interest in running third party. He gave it away at the debate when he referred to the option to run as a lot of leverage. He wants to keep the threat alive so he can get things in return for not running.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if he would be able to get more from the Clinton's et al. for running 3rd party, or from the GOP for not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
I wonder if he would be able to get more from the Clinton's et al. for running 3rd party, or from the GOP for not?

I think there is one thing everyone seems to be ignoring. Trump is an egomaniac. Running as a 3rd party candidate will get him into the history books. I also still think there is a fair chance that he is just trying to screw the Republicans since he is actually a Democrat, or at least, he leans that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
sfox wrote:
jmilum wrote:

I think there is one thing everyone seems to be ignoring. Trump is an egomaniac. Running as a 3rd party candidate will get him into the history books. I also still think there is a fair chance that he is just trying to screw the Republicans since he is actually a Democrat, or at least, he leans that way.

Trump is more buffoon than wily savant. He's not faking. He's really that repulsive.

I'm not claiming he is a 'savant', all I'm saying is he is an egomaniac. He puts his name on every single building he owns. Making himself an "important" historical figure in politics seems like it could motivate him to run as a 3rd party candidate. He might even believe he can win, because he is Donald Trump and he always wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
When are the SJWs going to leave Trump alone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even is you assume that Trump's driving motivation is ego, it doesn't follow that he'll run third party. Being known as another Ross Perot doesn't strike me as Trump's style. But leveraging his threat into something ego-gratifying...that's absolutely possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Like what, for instance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be nothing more than a promise of some influence or favor. As he described in the debate, Trump always donates to politicians and then when he needs something they come. He bragged about the Clintons having no choice but to come to his wedding. There's no shortage of things that either the President or party leaders could do for Trump over the coming years if he's in a position to play spoiler and instead throws his support behind the nominee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Agents of legitimate governments serve those over whom they exercise power, not those who exercise power over them.
mbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
It could be nothing more than a promise of some influence or favor. As he described in the debate, Trump always donates to politicians and then when he needs something they come. He bragged about the Clintons having no choice but to come to his wedding. There's no shortage of things that either the President or party leaders could do for Trump over the coming years if he's in a position to play spoiler and instead throws his support behind the nominee.

I would think he'd need to get paid up front. Once he's out of the race for a bit, what leverage does he have? It's not like could publicize a quid-pro-quo deal to shame someone into paying up later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
So Trump got kicked out of the RedState Gathering, which had 500 people in attendance. Now instead of going there, he is doing all the major talk shows on Sunday. Face the Nation (CBS), This Week (ABC), Meet the Press (NBC), and a taped interview on CNN. Now Trump will be in front of millions on Sunday instead, getting more coverage than the rest of the Republican field combined... they sure showed him.

Donald "Honey Badger" Trump isn't going away any time soon it seems to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

I would think he'd need to get paid up front. Once he's out of the race for a bit, what leverage does he have? It's not like could publicize a quid-pro-quo deal to shame someone into paying up later.

My guess is that it's not so difficult. It's like an iterative negotiation that doesn't seem like one. Trump gets into a room with a bunch of party leaders and they say, "Drop out of the race and support (whoever) and we'll return the favor down the road." Then, sure, they can refuse later -- but if they do then not only might Trump seek payback but their ability to make similar promises to anyone else will be undermined. If you believe, as I do, that a lot of power in Washington is traded in the "currency" of promises then people who renege give up a lot of their power by undermining their personal currency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Agents of legitimate governments serve those over whom they exercise power, not those who exercise power over them.
mbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
rinelk wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

My guess is that it's not so difficult. It's like an iterative negotiation that doesn't seem like one. Trump gets into a room with a bunch of party leaders and they say, "Drop out of the race and support (whoever) and we'll return the favor down the road." Then, sure, they can refuse later -- but if they do then not only might Trump seek payback but their ability to make similar promises to anyone else will be undermined. If you believe, as I do, that a lot of power in Washington is traded in the "currency" of promises then people who renege give up a lot of their power by undermining their personal currency.

I would think Trump is so unusually clownish that lying to him wouldn't be regarded as indicative of the trustworthiness of one's promises to others, but I understand your point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:

I would think Trump is so unusually clownish that lying to him wouldn't be regarded as indicative of the trustworthiness of one's promises to others, but I understand your point.

A Clown who has made millions negotiating better people than the GOP leadership into the ground. I wouldn't worry about Trump getting screwed on this, it's the amateurs in the GOP who couldn't negotiate a new post office out of committee that are going to end up scrabbling to save face in the end.

Really, this is a shark among minnows. The guy is loathsome and largely a caricature, but he has a skillset that politicians rarely cultivate at the National level. He doesn't demand bribes for favors, he twists arms until he gets what he wants. In another time he'd be a mob boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About the only Republican candidate Trump might need to actually worry about repercussions from would be Christie which is a long shot and owning wholly to the nature of NJ politics. No one negotiates well from inside a trunk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite comment whent roughly 'Fox should thank me for coming on their little show.' Comic frikin' GOLD!

There's an old saying "You get what you pay for."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
My favorite comment whent roughly 'Fox should thank me for coming on their little show.' Comic frikin' GOLD!

There's an old saying "You get what you pay for."

Which is exactly why every other TV network will be inviting Trump to any debates they host. Might even invite him to the Democrat's primary debates because those are going to be pretty boring with just Hillary and Bernie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls