Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a problem.

Ages back, my girlfriend made a "discovery" of The Village at a local bookshop. She was just getting into board gaming and considered it a personal victory to finally contribute something meaty to the collection that hadn't been on my radar. I even went the extra step and nabbed the Inn expansion at the same time so we could have a complete experience.

Sadly, she hated it. It still stands as the only game in my 100+ title collection she despises. She says the game didn't offer her any actions which seemed interesting, though I didn't find it too removed from many other titles we've enjoyed together. I believe we tried again, and it was the same issue. Anyhoo, the long standing joke is "we'll play it again -- just not today!," and it has sat on my shelf collecting dust since whatever year Shut Up and Sit Down reviewed it (2013?).

(for what it is worth, I found the game a bit clunky and unexciting, but not expressly bad, per se).

My Question: So, does this expansion offer enough added excitement to perhaps merit a purchase? It's worth noting that the only activity my girlfriend engaged in was the traveling. She liked that. We'd probably play with a variant where twice the number of cubes were placed on the travel spot, and both styles of travel were available (though I could see this being unbalancing if only one player engaged in travel, and didn't invest in both options).

Thank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you play with the Inn expansion included? I think it's a must-have expansion for the game. The Inn adds more interesting decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alicialaura wrote:
Did you play with the Inn expansion included? I think it's a must-have expansion for the game. The Inn adds more interesting decisions.

Yeah, it has been there since game #1. Not sure if she touched it at all, though I believe setup for the Inn has every player get at least one starting goal card, right? It has been so long.

I'm surprised this expansion has zero English language video reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
If she didn't like the game, then Village Port will not change her mind.

Sell the game, and move on to something you both like instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
United Kingdom
Gateshead
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:

I'd have to agree with Lars. Although I find the Inn less attractive than most seem to, and Port REALLY great, I think that you still need to be into the core game to enjoy Port. I've played with people who find Village a difficult game to suspend one's disbelief with and the Port makes it worse if anything because (IMHO) it requires a lot more investment in the Village universe for the rewards. But your villagers will miss you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacky Blue Note wrote:
l-hansen wrote:

I'd have to agree with Lars. Although I find the Inn less attractive than most seem to, and Port REALLY great, I think that you still need to be into the core game to enjoy Port. I've played with people who find Village a difficult game to suspend one's disbelief with and the Port makes it worse if anything because (IMHO) it requires a lot more investment in the Village universe for the rewards. But your villagers will miss you.

Ironically, the line I bolded might be exactly what convinces me to purchase into the title, as her lack of involvement in the other portions of the game was because she didn't see much point to invest in those elements. If Port is attractive to her (big if, I know) then it might rejuvenate the other elements of the game as a means to an end, so to speak.

Mind you, we just picked up The Voyages of Marco Polo, London, Freedom: The Underground Railroad, Five Tribes, Eldritch Horror: Strange Remnants, Concordia: Britannia / Germania and Suburbia Inc in one massive purchase (I do a once yearly game buy), so I'll back burner Port for a spell until after the current glut, but I will likely add it.. eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
Inn and Port both make it a better game, but it's still the same game at its core, so I doubt they will change hate to love. Sad, though, as it's a terrific game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Sadly, she hated it. It still stands as the only game in my 100+ title collection she despises.
-
(for what it is worth, I found the game a bit clunky and unexciting, but not expressly bad, per se).

If she despises it and you found it lackluster just get rid of the game and play something else. It really seems like you're going WAY out of your way to get this game on the table again - but why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
Seconded.

I think Village Inn is the better of the two expansions. Village Port does somewhat change the dynamics of the game, but I like them both. If you don't like the base game, the expansions don't change it that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
Sadly, she hated it. It still stands as the only game in my 100+ title collection she despises.
-

If she despises it and you found it lackluster just get rid of the game and play something else. It really seems like you're going WAY out of your way to get this game on the table again - but why?

Because I owe it.. and I'm not of the opinion one or two plays is enough to relegate any title to the dustbin, especially one well regarded by others. I'm not so arrogant as to assume even my own view is sacrosanct after only a play or two.

My only problem with the core game's design was the central conceit of cube picking -- the fact you have to pick up a cube, and aren't allowed to pass if cubes remain on the board, forces players into suboptimal sections that are more a factor of turn order than strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
My only problem with the core game's design was the central conceit of cube picking -- the fact you have to pick up a cube, and aren't allowed to pass if cubes remain on the board, forces players into suboptimal sections that are more a factor of turn order than strategy.

You are aware that you can take a cube without performing the action, right? Basically you are passing but you still take a cube. So you might have to take a plague cube, but you might also take a cube that another player wanted to take for the action.

I've played many games with people who thought they had to take the action when they took a cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mb
dhc3po wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:

You are aware that you can take a cube without performing the action, right? Basically you are passing but you still take a cube. So you might have to take a plague cube, but you might also take a cube that another player wanted to take for the action.

I've played many games with people who thought they had to take the action when they took a cube.

I think he may be talking about plague cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vandeweyer
Belgium
Haaltert
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
It's worth noting that the only activity my girlfriend engaged in was the traveling. She liked that.

So you want to replace the one part she likes by another part, hoping she'll enjoy the game more. Thank you, good sir, for making me LOL!

I never liked the travel action of the base game. I think the port expansion adds a nice twist to the game, adding new market options. Overall, I really like the port and I never play the game without it.

But regarding your girlfriend: I don't think buying the port expansion will matter much for her gameplay experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls