Subject: [WSIG] Sheriff or Nottingham or? (4p, also other questions) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Moody
United States
Fort Pierce
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
Our gaming group has slowly been growing and not only includes my wife these days. The other couple we generally play with have limited experience with games. We play the hell out of King of Tokyo, and they love it. We have also played a few other games they liked, Carcassonne, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Alhambra. All hits, none as big as King of New York though.

The guy in the couple is a gamer and has gotten down on some other stuff with me, but the female is still wading in. I am putting together a big game order(big for me) and have given them some input. Now I could use your input on one game mostly, but maybe the whole order.

Currently we are ordering:

King of New York(they really want this)

Legendary Marvel Villians(i have wanted legendary forever, they both like marvel and coops.

LOTR LCG Expansion(for me and the male)

Risk(Never played myself, the male really wants this)

Indigo(everyone likes the look of this, wife mostly)

Small World(cause i have wanted for awhile but wanted more than 2p)

Epic Spell Wars(other couple is all hail satan metalheads. So yeah)

Now I am pretty confident about everything so far, but the last item is Sheriff of Nottingham because we are lacking a game that feels like a true 4p experience that is kinda simple. At least thats what I am telling myself.

Anyone have opinions on Sheriff for our group or other comments on the order? Here is a link to my BGG profile for other games/ranks. https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/attackoflance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Look like good selections, all around. I think Indigo is almost too light -- it's got strategy, but we almost hardly ever play it anymore.

Sheriff of Nottingham is a fun one, for sure. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Steadman
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Sheriff of Nottingham, but we do not play it a whole lot. I could see it getting old after playing it frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
If you like Marvel I'm assuming superheroes in general are okay. Legendary can be played as a coop but it's really semi cooperative. If you want a superhero full coop card game take a look at Sentinels Of The Multiverse. It's set in a world made by the creators so even though it's not actually a Marvel or DC game a lot of the different heroes feel similar to a lot of their Marvel or DC counterparts. Great game.

Now on the topic of Sheriff of Nottingham. It's a great game if you have the right group. It's a social game and the group really makes the game. I for one love it. It's very fun and I own all the promos for it. It never really gets old for us but again mainly because we're a social group that likes many of those social games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hexagonal Crank
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg is quite fun for a 4p dice game. If you start getting more than 4 people, BANG! The Dice Game plays 5-8 ideally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(silent) Bob Munroe
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our game group plays Sheriff a lot. We find it perfect as an easy later in the evening, wind-down-type game. But the reason we play it a lot is because of all the head-messing-up that goes with it, not the game itself. We know each other reasonably well...have played games with each other for a while...& so we love the social aspect of bribing the Sheriff & trying to work out what sort of headgame people are playing. I've played with strangers at other groups several times & it never has quite the same awesome social aspect, although it's still fun as a light game in itself. If your group has a good dynamic, you'll probably enjoy it. If it's less social, maybe not. As an aside, if you do decide to get it, the snaps on the bags tend to go after a while. I'm thinking of making my own with a reinforced opening (got to put that snap press that's gathering dust in the cupboard to good use!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Also in response to Risk if there are 2-4 of you Nexus Ops is a better game in my opinion. It's a light war game and plays much quicker. More fun in my opinion as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenderbass124 wrote:
Also in response to Risk if there are 2-4 of you Nexus Ops is a better game in my opinion. It's a light war game and plays much quicker. More fun in my opinion as well.

Big big +1 for this. Even if you don't get Nexus Ops... Definitely get something that's not risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk is a frustration filled long game, it is a game meant to piss people off. Epic Spell Wars is just randomness, I know people who want to try it but I do not understand why.

Sheriff of Nottingham is not the simplest game you have on that list (epic spell wars is), it also happens to be one of my favourite games, I love it, cannot say enough about it, it is awesome, get it.

Sentinels of the Multiverse is a better superhero card game than Legendary in my opinion, and Legendary is technically not a coop game whereas Sentinels is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Sheriff is a fun bluffing game. Very funny. Great looking too.
Epic Spell Wars is funny too. I like it but is random. Which is fine.
If you want a fun little bluffing cardgame that plays very fast, try Kakerlakenpoker Royale. Cheap and fun imo.

I agree on Risk. Please never again. There are plenty of better options.

Well there are so many games I can recommend, but these mentioned here are solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel Sheriff needs a different opinion to give you a full picture. Firstly, the game itself is funny and a good laugh. However I feel it could have used further development in production for the following reasons.

-The King/Queen bonuses allow for being 100% honest to be a highly competitive strategy (That will win if no one stops it). In a game of this type I feel that not having to lie the entire game shouldn't let you win. Yes like all negotiation games you can smooth out problems by agreement. 'Liars' can beat the honest player by saying things like 'I see X is being honest all the time and will win, how about I let your massive contraband through if you give me lots of money.' However I feel that this isn't something that you should be required to do to stop an honest player winning.

-The above problem is caused by contraband being too cheap for the risk.

-The poppers are crafted in such a way that they are very strong. Which is great but the bags are easy to rip if you pull on the cloth to open. I helps if you tell your players to open the popper by holding the metal itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheriff of Nottingham is a fun game - all about lying and bluffing. Alternatives are lighter games of this type, I'd recommend Kakerlakenpoker Royal, If it goes well you can still get the Sheriff. Difference is that Sheriff needs a loud group of BSers. Kakerlakenpoker is more adaptable as it's just lying, no negotiations. But it's also more "sturdy". its special feature is: only one loser.

I'd also chime in regards to Risk - Risk Legacy is a campaign mode Risk. 15 games of adapting the board, ripping of cards, putting stickers on board and cards (depends on who wins). But mostly games are made to be 1 hour long. Which is not a feature of Risk.
Nexus Ops is probably also a good alternative for this player count.

(Because if your games of Risk will be as long as they can be, you'll all shift to Smallworld anyhow).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Carroll
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scott3387 wrote:
'Liars' can beat the honest player by saying things like 'I see X is being honest all the time and will win, how about I let your massive contraband through if you give me lots of money.'

Not so, ime, I've actually won against other honest players by leading them to believe this... right at the start of the game I let them know when I'm sheriff I will not open any bags for a small fee so they are able to pass through all contraband (I do not have the promo cards which I've heard offer better rewards so don't know if that would make any difference), every time I have done this I won by a landslide, the only time I've seen the honest player not win by a significant amount was when everyone else was only doing legal goods and not bribing as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:

I'd also chime in regards to Risk - Risk Legacy is a campaign mode Risk. 15 games of adapting the board, ripping of cards, putting stickers on board and cards (depends on who wins). But mostly games are made to be 1 hour long. Which is not a feature of Risk.
Nexus Ops is probably also a good alternative for this player count.

(Because if your games of Risk will be as long as they can be, you'll all shift to Smallworld anyhow).

I would like to echo this sentiment. If you are after the Risk experience and don't want it to be as long and don't mind it having a few more nuances, Risk Legacy is the way to go. It is more fun, things change up and it is just a great improvement on the original.

I think he (the guy from the couple) might be really into the idea of Risk because he would've seen or heard about it when he was younger and the idea sounds fantastic or perhaps you played it when you were younger and are so enamoured with it. The problem is once you start playing these games which are lacking the flaws of these older games, you just don't tend to want to play the old "classic" games very much.

I haven't played Nexus Ops myself but I've heard it is good and so it could also be a good alternative to Risk. I really like Small World and it is Risk-like but I think that it doesn't feel as combative as Risk (because you already know if you've won or lost the battle).

As for Sheriff of Nottingham - I really like this game, and when we play it there is just so much laughter, etc. but it is group dependent. Our friends have a great time playing cos there are just so many stupid things you say or do to convince them to let your bag through, or people trying to pull off poker faces or bluff everyone etc.

If you don't want someone to win by being honest the whole time (cos it can take the fun out of it) then you can house-rule it. We have played where you need at least x-contraband at the end to win (it could be 1 or 3, etc.) or, whomever has the least contraband at the end loses x-points (cos no one wants to shop at a boring shop!). The game is very malleable that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
attackoflance wrote:
Our gaming group has slowly been growing and not only includes my wife these days. The other couple we generally play with have limited experience with games. We play the hell out of King of Tokyo, and they love it. We have also played a few other games they liked, Carcassonne, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Alhambra. All hits, none as big as King of New York though.

The guy in the couple is a gamer and has gotten down on some other stuff with me, but the female is still wading in. I am putting together a big game order(big for me) and have given them some input. Now I could use your input on one game mostly, but maybe the whole order.

Currently we are ordering:

King of New York(they really want this)

Legendary Marvel Villians(i have wanted legendary forever, they both like marvel and coops.

LOTR LCG Expansion(for me and the male)

Risk(Never played myself, the male really wants this)

Indigo(everyone likes the look of this, wife mostly)

Small World(cause i have wanted for awhile but wanted more than 2p)

Epic Spell Wars(other couple is all hail satan metalheads. So yeah)

Now I am pretty confident about everything so far, but the last item is Sheriff of Nottingham because we are lacking a game that feels like a true 4p experience that is kinda simple. At least thats what I am telling myself.

Anyone have opinions on Sheriff for our group or other comments on the order? Here is a link to my BGG profile for other games/ranks. https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/attackoflance

I really wanted Sheriff of Nottingham when it first came out.. but after reading some reviews and watching it played on Tabletop, I decided against it.. It seems to me that there are better bluffing / negotiating games out there... so, if that's what you're looking for, I would go with Cockroach Poker (bluffing) or Chinatown (negotiating)... If its a deeper richer 4p experience, thats still relatively simple, I would recommend Quantum, Alien Frontiers, The Castles of Burgundy, Bohnanza, and/or K2. ..

As far as Risk, that's pretty old school.. I think there are better more recent games that use a similar mechanic for area control.. I would recommend March of the Ants.

I played Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game for the first time at GenCon and it was alot of fun.. I would play again, might even consider buying it..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Fort Pierce
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
Ended up replacing Sheriff and Spell Wars with Survive Escape from Atlantis and Resistance Avalon. I have trouble making decisions I realize now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Carroll
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
attackoflance wrote:
Ended up replacing Sheriff and Spell Wars with Survive Escape from Atlantis and Resistance Avalon. I have trouble making decisions I realize now.

My one concern about Survive! is that, I believe it was you that mentioned on reddit the other couple tends to go easy on each other and this can be a real issue with this game in particular since you are rolling the die to possibly move the whale/sea monster/shark every turn in an attempt to hurt/hinder the other players ...this can work out great for a family with kids because then the adults can go after each other exclusively making the game easier for any kids that might not be old/experienced enough to strategize or handle conflict as well and more challenging for the adults being more greatly targeted, but in your situation I think it has the potential to become very irritating. Also, unless you really prefer the theme/artwork or can get a much better price on it, I would probably go with the standard Resistance over Avalon at this point since, from my understanding (and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong here), the latest edition of it has all the same elements as Avalon and then you can potentially add more expansions down the road where there aren't any for Avalon...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Fort Pierce
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
Damn, I wasn't aware resistance had expansions. I bought Avalon because the art fits the group better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Sheriff over Survive. If you want something light and simple look at Cash N Guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls