Bella Sloane
msg tools
mb
Hello, good weekend morning!

I have some insightful questions from a player that I'd like advice on:

Question 1: I assume for the Barghest to 'enter' a space, he cannot just 'expand' into it and have considered to have entered. He must, by move action, actually move his 1x1 token into the space? [FYI, this is in regard to "Prey" from Shadows of Nerekhall]

Question 2: I take it that large monsters can move adjacent to an elevation line, interrupt with a move action, thus expanding across the elevation line, and continue on the other side of the elevation line with whatever MP left?

As a general question of my own, can large monsters overlap elevation lines during setup? I would assume no since they block movement and the exception for monsters is in relation to movement actions. Monsters are largely immune to effects such as lava, water, and pits, but none of these lines restrict movement in any way, so I would not extrapolate those rules onto elevation... but I could easily be wrong...

I am actually leaning against both of the assumptions inherent in these questions, but I have no rulebook support. FAQ 1.5 doesn't seem to cover it. It may be covered elsewhere.

I guess my biggest issue with question 2 is that elevation lines seem to have no effect for large monsters if they double-move, but maybe that's acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rulebook/FAQ it is explicit that large monsters only enter the 1x1 spaces they move into. Expanding is NOT entering. That's why a shadow dragon doesn't need to spend 7 MP to expand in a body of water, or take damage when it expands into lava (large monsters don't EVER take damage or all into pits unless they expand and all of their spaces are in the pit.)

Large monsters can expand over elevation lines, but only if they have a valid reason to interrupt and expand. Remember that large monsters can only voluntarily interrupt a move action to perform another action. They may be interrupted by hero abilities as well (the wildlander's "Nimble" is an interrupting ability, and forces the large monster to expand.) Once the large monster has expanded, it is free to shrink down to any of its spaces to continue movement- this can lead to it going "through" the elevation line.

Large monsters can be placed over elevation lines during setup- there is no restriction against this as long as they are completely on the designated tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella Sloane
msg tools
mb
(Mobile; sorry for brevity/typos) so let me clarify: can a large monster voluntarily interrupt a movement action with another movement action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slamin Perfect
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything I've seen indicates yes.

Edit: answer from FFG confirming it https://boardgamegeek.com/article/13969260#13969260

Pasted to avoid searching page:

Quote:
Hey Robin,
The large monster may expand and declare another move action at any point during the first move action. Essentially, any interrupt to a monster in the middle of "shrunken" movement will cause that monster to "expand," even if it's another move action, and even if that other move action is declared immediately.
Thanks,
Justin Kemppainen
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls