Chris Amburn
United States
Fort Scott
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I recently launched my project and it has so far gone consistently if unspectacularly. However, my significant other(and partner) has just been admitted to the hospital. Things should work out alright but it will be for several days at the least. Now obviously I am going to be devoting the majority of my time to her care for as long as it takes as well as relying on my finances to cover bills, missed wages, etc. Any marketing for my project has to be cancled and promotional events are basically out the window. Delivering on the project isn't the issue, but fundraising is.

My question is, should I abandon the project and just let it fend for itself when there's not a chance it will be funded without promotion, or do I cancel it outright? And, more importantly, in either scenario what do I tell my backers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
United Kingdom
Smethwick
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cancel, be honest and say you'll relaunch when you can devote the time to promoting it.

Most backers are pretty reasonable in these kinds of situations.

Hope your better half is better soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you should cancel it, take care of your family, and come back to this later.

Trying to maintain it when you can't put any sort of effort into it seems like it would hurt your chances to relaunch it later.

I'd just make an update saying exactly what you said here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Podunk the Mighty wrote:
what do I tell my backers?

I can't imagine any situation where "simply the truth and (only) as much as you are comfortable telling" wouldn't be the thing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It is hardly a question. Cancel it and return once you are more prepared. Read nothing more into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
Cancel it now. Family comes first. Then re-organize and re-start your project. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've backed more than 300 projects on KS and the only thing I would like to see in this situation is some honest information about what is going on.

Lets assume you would follow through with your project and it gets funded. With all your efforts going to your partner (as is right), you aren't able to work on the KS as you probably have to, so that would cause discontent with the backers.

But if you inform your backers now, that you can't allocate your time to the KS because of an emergancy, why should a backer be angry? You just saved him from potential disappointment later on.

And what to tell them? Just what you told us. I am sure 95% of the responses you get will be good wishes and the last 5% questions about when the reboot will happen or if they will be informed.

On the other hand, if you are the creator of one of the projects I back, get the hell back to the table and see that the project gets funded! *ahem* Sorry about that.

Good luck with your project and I hope all the best for your significant other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magermilchmagier wrote:
I've backed more than 300 projects on KS

How would you know if one was delayed? I would have no clue what is coming when, it would be a surprise every time a parcel came.

Back to the OP, I think you will find most board gamers also have a strong family life, and I think pretty much all of them would rather you take care of family than take care of the KS. I know I would, and you should too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mabuchi wrote:
Magermilchmagier wrote:
I've backed more than 300 projects on KS

How would you know if one was delayed? I would have no clue what is coming when, it would be a surprise every time a parcel came.

Back to the OP, I think you will find most board gamers also have a strong family life, and I think pretty much all of them would rather you take care of family than take care of the KS. I know I would, and you should too.

I don't think it matters to the topic, but it is easy to answer: Each project comes with an estimated shipping date. So, it is quite easy to see when a project runs late (which is far too often the case and causes very often discontent because project owners try to cover up for it and get out in the open far too late).
But even if the OP could guarantee fulfillment (in time), I guess he wants to see his KS as successful as possible and with this situation he will not be able to show much presence on his project (which as well will discourage backers, making them less likely to back later on).

Now, ask yourself, which project is more likely to get your support. A project that was alive for some time with no presence of the owner and where the backers slowly drifted away or a project where the owner cancelled the KS because he had to take care of an emergency and couldn't allocate enough time to his project? I would definitively prefer the second one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe BGG could feature your kickstater to help you out and spread the word?

Sorry to hear that, I will pray your SO feels better soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Amburn
United States
Fort Scott
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses, all. They confirm what I pretty much expected, I just like to get a second opinion and my go-to isn't available at the moment. I appreciate the kindness, respect, and support this community had always shown me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Likens
United States
Cornelius
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely cancel the Kickstarter. It can always be relaunched in the future.

Best wishes for you and your significant other!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hale
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope everything works out. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls