Hide
7 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » Rules

Subject: Suicide - allowed when strategically helpful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scot Ninnemann
msg tools
Has anyone seen a clarification on whether explorers are allowed to kill themselves, and if so, how and when that's permitted?

For example, there's at least one haunt where the traitor can win if a certain number of explorers are dead -- and it doesn't say heroes, it specifically says explorers.

I can't find anything in the rules that would seem to forbid suicide, so if the traitor has the motive for that, it would seem reasonable to me, so long as they also have the means and the opportunity. You couldn't just decide to die, you'd have to have a plausible way of making it happen.

But that raises another question: what counts as having the means to kill yourself, and what game rules apply, i.e. is there a roll of some kind involved?

If my traitor is carrying an item that's capable of inflicting physical damage (axe, dynamite, revolver, spear, etc.) I'm thinking they ought to be able to kill themselves with it at will. It would seem ridiculous for my traitor to have to roll attack dice against themselves, or to take a non-lethal amount of damage -- if I choose to blow my own head off with dynamite, for example, how would it make sense to say "that only moved my might score down four notches, so I'm apparently now headless but still alive..."

If I don't have a weapon, what about location-related suicide? Can I drown myself in the Underground Lake? Can I swan dive off of the Gallery and land on my head in the Ballroom? Can I throw myself into the Chasm, or into the furnace in the Furnace Room?

Seriously though, winning last night's haunt came down to whether and how explorers are allowed to kill themselves. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules specifically state you are allowed to attack an 'opponent'.

Sorry, you'll just have to live under the House's twisted dictates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scotjohn wrote:
It would seem ridiculous for my traitor to have to roll attack dice against themselves, or to take a non-lethal amount of damage -- if I choose to blow my own head off with dynamite, for example, how would it make sense to say "that only moved my might score down four notches, so I'm apparently now headless but still alive..."

By this logic, no explorer should ever fail to put on the Mask. And yet they do.

Roll the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ninnemann
msg tools
Ah, good point. I am not my own opponent, so no physical attack on myself, I guess.

Sounds like I'd have to find more creative means. I could throw away my Amulet of the Ages to take major damage, or keep rubbing that Idol until I lose all sanity (max once per turn of course). I could attack someone mighty and use my Angel Feather to "roll" a 0, or use the Feather to get a purposely bad result from the Bottle, the Dark Dice, etc.

What about harmful effects from rooms? The rules say that as traitor, I *can* use my new abilities, one of which is that I *can* ignore any harmful text on a room tile. Doesn't say I have to, just says I can. So if I want to slowly roast myself in the Furnace Room...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, if it was a game I was running and was teaching to everyone (which is usual for my group), I wouldn't allow it.

Even if killing your explorer can make you win somehow, it just breaks the theme too much for me... would the character really want to kill themselves in that situation?

It just seems to me you are trying to game the rules, just to eek out a controversial, nonsensical win in what should be a lighthearted, fun romp of a game. I wouldn't play this game so seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ninnemann
msg tools
I hear what you're saying with keeping it fun and not bogging down in rules too much.

This was just one of those haunts where the traitor is trying to summon a Big Bad that would then kill everyone on the entire planet. My thought was that since the traitor is maniacal enough to do that, and since they know that's what the Big Bad is going to do (and they'd die like everyone else if the summoning is successful), then they might be willing to die beforehand rather than after in order to make the summoning succeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A A
msg tools
I recently played where I had the Book. My knowledge was 1 point above the skull, and I knew I would be killed by the traitor on my next turn, so I traded the Book to a fellow hero in the same room so they could get more knowledge (it was an important trait for that haunt), but this killed myself (as you lose 2 knowledge when you lose the Book). I am not sure if this was legitimate or not, but we couldn't find a rule against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls