Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Flick 'em Up!» Forums » Rules

Subject: is this a hit? (Pic inside) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Chan
United States
Conway
SC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rule yes, but it's obviously not black and white.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd need to hear a very good argument why not.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
I'd need to hear a very good argument why not.
Me too.

If the barrel wasn't there he would have fallen. Hit.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandorques Hikla
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
I have not played the game yet, but I´d say, if the cowboy does not stand on his feet by himself, he is hit.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the black cowboy get MOVED to that location that close to the barrel? Since touching ANYTHING with the movement disc is considered a failed move, it is very difficult to position a cowboy that close to an object like the barrel as pictured.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Colorado
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I don't remember how we ruled it but I could see this not counting as a hit. By the rules, the cowboy did not "fall over." The fact that a barrel helped keep him up seems both thematic and relevant as physical terrain matters a great deal in this game (saying that "if the barrel wasn't there, he'd have fallen" is as relevant as saying I should be able to hit a cowboy hiding behind the barrel- if it wasn't there, I'd have hit him).

I could see it ruling as a hit for simplicity though and the main issue with it not counting as a hit is whether it can create a situation where the cowboy can't be knocked over. I'll try to test it out and if he knocks over easily with a second shot then I really don't have an issue with it going either way.

One last thing would be to see what a native French speaker says the French rules say. There was already some ambiguity cleared up by consulting the French rules so maybe they could help.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
space monkey mafia wrote:
I don't remember how we ruled it but I could see this not counting as a hit. By the rules, the cowboy did not "fall over." The fact that a barrel helped keep him up seems both thematic and relevant as physical terrain matters a great deal in this game (saying that "if the barrel wasn't there, he'd have fallen" is as relevant as saying I should be able to hit a cowboy hiding behind the barrel- if it wasn't there, I'd have hit him).

I could see it ruling as a hit for simplicity though and the main issue with it not counting as a hit is whether it can create a situation where the cowboy can't be knocked over. I'll try to test it out and if he knocks over easily with a second shot then I really don't have an issue with it going either way.

One last thing would be to see what a native French speaker says the French rules say. There was already some ambiguity cleared up by consulting the French rules so maybe they could help.

1. IRL, people can die while sitting, or leaning against an object. They might be dead, but not horizontal.

2. Hiding behind the barrel creates the idea that a bullet could not lethally penetrate the barrel. In the example, it appears there was nothing shielding the victim.

3. If the possibility of not being hit relied on leaning on something, it seems many movements would be used to place your cowboy directly next to a support of some kind. This seems both unthematic and opposed to the spirit of the game.

I vote for your cowboy to be standing flat and firm on both feet to be unharmed after a direct bullet strike.

I hope we get some comment from a designer.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Torrens
United States
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Did the black cowboy get MOVED to that location that close to the barrel? Since touching ANYTHING with the movement disc is considered a failed move, it is very difficult to position a cowboy that close to an object like the barrel as pictured.

No, this movement disc did come millimeters from touching the barrel but never did.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a hit to me.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
Berix wrote:
Quote:
Did the black cowboy get MOVED to that location that close to the barrel? Since touching ANYTHING with the movement disc is considered a failed move, it is very difficult to position a cowboy that close to an object like the barrel as pictured.

No, this movement disc did come millimeters from touching the barrel but never did.

To me, it sounds like he's hiding in the barrel. That's what barrels are for in Westerns.


INTERESTING!

suppose if you move to within a disk of a barrel - you are considered IN the barrel. If either the cowboy, the barrel, or both (no ricochet rules between them) are subsequently shot, you must toss a coin to determine if the cowboy inside was hit. That is, it offers limited (50%) protection and MIGHT protect you.

(or, just call it a schrodinger's cowboy ?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Colorado
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:

I hope we get some comment from a designer.
I agree but ultimately, it's not really necessary. This is a light, non-competitive, flicking game. A designer comment will only justify what you already accepted or piss you off that it doesn't agree with your world view.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
telos81 wrote:
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
I'd need to hear a very good argument why not.
Me too.

If the barrel wasn't there he would have fallen. Hit.

If the table wasn't beneth him, he'd have fallen too...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:
telos81 wrote:
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
I'd need to hear a very good argument why not.
Me too.

If the barrel wasn't there he would have fallen. Hit.

If the table wasn't beneth him, he'd have fallen too...

how accurate would the shooter have been if he was falling thru space without the table?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the sound of one hand clapping?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only is it a hit, but it's an epic death. The poor bandit was blown away and doubled over on a barrel. We had this happen last night with a bail of hay. Softer landing at least.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We'd count it as a hit.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd count it as a hit...
In High Plains Drifter... Clint shoots a baddie and he falls against a tie up post...
It's not going to happen that often... but I will house rule it's a hit
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McGrath
United States
OLYMPIA
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This brings up a question in a game I had. Cowboy was in front of a building doorway an my shot sent him into the stands and the building kept him standing on his 2 feet. Shot was powerful and direct enough that the cowboy spun around and clearly the building is the only thing that saved him.

I ruled it a non hit. Didn't give a thematic reason, but now I'm thinking he ran and dove between the wooden posts of the horse stand thingy (where a cowboy would tie up his horse) or the into the water trough, or some cool cinematic variation thereof.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
can't see why that ruling wouldn't...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
STAND
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McGrath
United States
OLYMPIA
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you did there!


This is a game about distance and we used the phrase "ruling". Like a ruler. Right?







Right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
it's clear to me that the black cowboy is "barfing" in the barrel after taking a HIT where the sun doesn't shine

joking aside i'd say that it was grazed by the bullet and wasn't hit

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of related to this what if a a cowboy is in front a barrel/bale of hay and get hit but he's so close to it that it keeps him from falling over?

I was playing a game with my nephew and one of his shots hit a bale of hay right behind one of my cowboys and he had no chance of falling over from a head on shot because it was directly behind him. When he did get it the shot simply pushed the hay bale and the cowboy slightly. Not sure if he would have fallen or not but there was no way he was going to with that hay bale there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I see it as pretty basic...

If the cowboy was the target, then it's a hit.
If the cowboy was collateral damage, then he stands back up.

Why? IMHO, when questions such as this arise, you need to go with designer's intent. Of course even that can be up for debate, but this is how I interpret the designer's intent:

The rule about the [target] cowboy having to "fall over" is intended so that hits which don't cause the cowboy to topple are considered too weak to count as a hit. They're instead considered as a "glancing blow". OTOH, if the hit is strong enough to knock the Cowboy off its feet (i.e., topple), then it's strong enough to count as a hit. I believe this is what the designer intended when he wrote, "fall over".


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
danlicata wrote:
I was playing a game with my nephew and one of his shots hit a bale of hay right behind one of my cowboys and he had no chance of falling over from a head on shot because it was directly behind him. When he did get it the shot simply pushed the hay bale and the cowboy slightly. Not sure if he would have fallen or not but there was no way he was going to with that hay bale there.

Simply slide the Hay bale out of the way.

If he remains standing he's not hit, if he falls he's hit.

Replace the pieces in question as close as possible to their original position, and carry on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |